Foot/Boot ??

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

Been preparing for a few upcoming hunts and had some questions regarding my foot wear. I currently doing all my hikes in either a Scarpa Charmoz or Crispi Colorado. Im trying to determine which boot I want to run. I’m in Ohio so most of the terrain isn’t very technical and I’m pretty well limited to trails around my house. I’m pretty confident my boots are the correct size as I had my feet mapped and they are low volume, fairly narrow and I have a narrow heel. I haven’t experienced any blisters or hot spots on any hikes so that’s that.

My area of concern is foot fatigue or discomfort. Regardless of the boot/insole combination (stock or super feet green) I experience fatigue/discomfort in or around the ball of my foot behind my big toe on the underside of foot. This doesn’t really happen until I reach the 5-6 mile mark (usually 2 hours of continuous pounding). It’s not really a bad pain just a it needs a break feeling. Is this normal to experience in a stiff/hard soled boot? Am I expecting to much comfort on trails out of a boot that’s designed for nasty stuff (misapplication of footwear maybe). If it is fairly common does it subside when you take the boots to the mountains and use them as they are more intended and without continued pounding like you get when puttin in the miles on trails?

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Just don’t want to run into any issues in the wilderness. Thanks Alan.

Yes that’s normal with that stiff of boot. If you commit to a full shank boot you’re going to have to alter the way you lift and set down your foot walking trails, more flat footed approach. They’re designed for walking up hill in snow by kicking in steps. And yes breaks are essential with those boots especially if your destination is 5+ miles back and you want your feet in good condition for carrying meat out. IMO a 3/4 shank is the stiffest most guys should wear unless they’re doing late season with snow or lots of glacier crossing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Yes that’s normal with that stiff of boot. If you commit to a full shank boot you’re going to have to alter the way you lift and set down your foot walking trails, more flat footed approach. They’re designed for walking up hill in snow by kicking in steps. And yes breaks are essential with those boots especially if your destination is 5+ miles back and you want your feet in good condition for carrying meat out. IMO a 3/4 shank is the stiffest most guys should wear unless they’re doing late season with snow or lots of glacier crossing.

Thanks for the input. I would love to use a softer boot for sure. The cushion is nice, they are easier to walk in, and much quieter. However I had a pretty significant foot injury early summer and have been rehabbing for some time. I just recently got back to training and hiking. Doctor said with the terrain, weight I will be carrying and the nature of the injury I should use the stiffest boot I can to prevent any reoccurrence. I’m sure I will appreciate the stiff boot once I’m off the trail.

Thanks again

Let me preface by saying everyone is different, and most people can slowly change. I used to wear a stiffer boot but after living and training in minimalist footwear over the last several years I can no longer wear a stiff shanked boot. Last year I wore the Lowa Ticam II because of an Achilles issue and my feet muscles ached the whole time. I couldn't even wear the Lathrop boot which I'd purchased just for the rigidity reason. This year I think I've found a happy place with the Lowa Baldo, it's kind of a medium flex.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Let me preface by saying everyone is different, and most people can slowly change. I used to wear a stiffer boot but after living and training in minimalist footwear over the last several years I can no longer wear a stiff shanked boot. Last year I wore the Lowa Ticam II because of an Achilles issue and my feet muscles ached the whole time. I couldn't even wear the Lathrop boot which I'd purchased just for the rigidity reason. This year I think I've found a happy place with the Lowa Baldo, it's kind of a medium flex.

I can go from running/working out in ultralight running shoes to a stiff boot and they both feel good. I was just concerned or wanted to see if what I was experiencing was out of the ordinary. I agree everyone is different. My father uses a significantly softer boot and loves them. Hell some guys even Hunt in gym shoes.

Can’t argue with the dr. Sounds like you’ll be in a pain either way.

I run in minimalist shoes, hike and mtn bike in approach shoes, backpack and hunt in 3/4 shank boot, and winter use/mountaineering with full shank, and snowboard..well in snowboard boots....Different tools for different uses.

OP
L

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t argue with the dr. Sounds like you’ll be in a pain either way.

I run in minimalist shoes, hike and mtn bike in approach shoes, backpack and hunt in 3/4 shank boot, and winter use/mountaineering with full shank, and snowboard..well in snowboard boots....Different tools for different uses.

As long as the mountaineering boots work as well as they should in the steep stuff I shouldn’t be in much pain expect for pounding those trails out. And that’s not even bad the first 5 miles lol.