I am sure this has been asked a ton. What is your arrow weight

Gold Tip Velocity XT - 8.2gpi, 26.75" = 219.35
Gold Tip 50gr Insert
Gold Tip Acculite Nock - 8.3
7" Wrap - 7.7gr
Q2i Fusion-II Vanes - 7.3 x 3 = 21.9gr
Magnus Buzzcuts - 100 gr

Total: 407.25 gr

I bet you’ll have better penetration results by dropping the weight up front. Higher FOC = finicky tuning.

I always heard the opposite.. Can you explain that?

Last edited:
530. Plenty fast.
Black eagle 250 spine. 52 grain half out. 30 grain screw in weight. 100 grain head.
Cut is 28 carbon to carbon.

I guess I should add that I’m hunting hogs/mule deer /whitetail and javalina.
I build um to get through big pigs. The rest should not be a problem. I shoot everything at 20-30.

The designer of the SEVRs has a few podcasts out there talking about his setup, and he shoots a 460 gr arrow with the SEVR as I recall. He has a pretty solid track record on big game. No two shots, shooters, or scenarios will ever be equal, but if Randy Ulmer designed this head for his specs, thats a fairly strong argument that your specs are just fine to shoot the SEVR. Not an Ulmer fanboy, but got to give credit as he’s killed way more GIANT western game than I.

ahlgringo

WKR
605 g- I know- no I am not a ranch fairy- but they bare shaft out to 80
70'lb 29.5" going 251fps
Sirius Apollo shaft with three AAE 2.1 max hunters, lighted knock (amazon), iron will 75g HIT, IW collar, IW 125 solids.

Worked on bull and bear last year- not changing anytime soon

480 grains at 290 fps, 2 inch mechanical. Ranch fairy and Ashby are right though, they bounce right off elk...

View attachment 533879

This thread has some good info.

I also went from 510 to 480 with the idea of a little better forgiveness in range estimation / If the animal takes a few steps.

The broadhead thing is an endless debate, though I like a 2 inch cut. More blood, more cutting in theory quicker death and easier tracking, but again potential for pass through is up for debate as well. Hit the soft stuff with a sharp stick and they will die.

I shot sevr 1.5 for a year, and you really don't gain much better of a wound channel over say slick trick viper. really liked rage trypans a few years ago but durability is questionable. Will likely run sevr 2 this year.

Gold Tip Velocity XT - 8.2gpi, 26.75" = 219.35
Gold Tip 50gr Insert
Gold Tip Acculite Nock - 8.3
7" Wrap - 7.7gr
Q2i Fusion-II Vanes - 7.3 x 3 = 21.9gr
Magnus Buzzcuts - 100 gr

Total: 407.25 gr

I always heard the opposite.. Can you explain that?
Yup, good point. There is a ton of info out there pushing high FOC as key to penetration (Ranch Fairy) and I think there is something to that, especially for trad guys. I think too many folks chase high FOC and weaken spines at the expense of arrow flight. I was down this road once and after a catastrophic fail I started some deep research. I know some of these personalities can be polarizing (RF, Dorge from Firenock etc) but I do think Dorge knows his chit and aerodynamics. If that arrow is still working to stabilize it’s transferring less energy to the target when it gets there.
I was on the extreme FOC skinny arrow train with Valkyrie and after some slow mo video and lots of backyard testing I am back to standard or at least 6 mm shafts that are plenty stiff. I know it’s bro science but that’s where I am coming from.

For the OP- here is where you are with your setup. I assumed they are 300 spine and cut at 29 ish
If you drop your insert down 50gr you’ll be back in line or bump up to .250 spine. Sorry to take this off on a tangent. I’m a 500 gr guy as well for elk and whitetail.

Attachments

• B5F8BBD1-8931-44AE-BA72-51DF76C090F9.jpeg
    B5F8BBD1-8931-44AE-BA72-51DF76C090F9.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 30

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Was too lazy and time stressed to fully tune and tinker with setups and went to the old rage for flight characteristics. Way way too many single holes and bad blood trails in chest cavity shots later I got after it to change things.
Shooting #64, added 70 extra grains to the head end and to get setup to 495gr.
Shoot evolution outdoors heads and victory TKO shafts.
Last 5 bucks shot since then dressed 180,182,169,207 and 240#s. All pas through, stuck in the ground on the other side chest cavity hits with 75 yard ish recovery’s.

Problem solved

If I ever need to tinker will give the iron will system a go for sure

Bump79

WKR
I don’t think you can make a blanket statement like that.

I’ve seen poor penetration from the short wide chisel point fixed heads…… my bet is that some of the slip cam Mech heads will penetrate a little bit better.

There is no contest when comparing to Two blades or the tapered design cut on contact fixed heads…. those crush every other design when it comes to penetration.

In other words….if its a head design that slides in vs chopping in…its going to penetrate better.
Fair enough - I didn't necessarily mean it as a blanket statement. My intention with "all things equal" was out of the same bow/arrow that a chisel tip fixed would penetrate further than a chisel tip mechanical. Say equal cut size Grim Reaper fixed vs their mechanical. It's going to take energy to open those blades.

Also - what I meant when I typed it I what was in my head was the typical mechanical setup with larger cut size.

For what it's worth - I've shot multiple animals with shot short sharp chisel tip heads and haven't had any issues with penetration. Which heads did you see issues with?

Hoythews71

Lil-Rokslider
565gr shooting 265-270fps

Axis 260 @ 31”
125gr Day Six Evo X & 125gr Sevr
HIT insert
IW 25gr collar
Onestringer reflective 5” wrap
AAE Max 3”x 3 fletch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tdoublev

FNG
This for sure has been asked a lot and in every thread I read, I have yet to find anyone saying their arrow was too light. I’ve struggled with this because I love the idea of high FOC, but I’m a 27” draw length and pin gaps go to shit very quickly when I increase the weight. I’ve landed around 450 grains but honestly want to go lighter. As everyone says in the Broadhead debate - a better placed shot is more important than the specific blade. To me, having a smaller miss at distance because of a faster arrow is invaluable.

So - does anyone here have an arrow build they used that was definitively too light?

Laramie

WKR
431 grains (axis) @ 318 FPS. 30.5" draw at 71lbs. I like the flat trajectory. 0-40 yards I use my top pin sighted in at 30. At 20 in a few inches high and 40 I'm a few inches low. Flys through elk, with mechanicals, with zero issues...

sambo3006

FNG
My arrows are about 470 grains at around 270 fps. I’ve been shooting 100 gr Rocket Steelheads for about 6 or 7 years. Excellent penetration on deer thus far.

I shoot a 503gr arrow at about 292fps if I remember right. Seems to work well, although I am switching broadheads to either Sevr/killzones and some flavor if magnus or slick tricks.

This for sure has been asked a lot and in every thread I read, I have yet to find anyone saying their arrow was too light. I’ve struggled with this because I love the idea of high FOC, but I’m a 27” draw length and pin gaps go to shit very quickly when I increase the weight. I’ve landed around 450 grains but honestly want to go lighter. As everyone says in the Broadhead debate - a better placed shot is more important than the specific blade. To me, having a smaller miss at distance because of a faster arrow is invaluable.

So - does anyone here have an arrow build they used that was definitively too light?

Couple things on your post and I understand with elk hunting it’s different.. but how many animals have you even shot at without ranging or at least ranging before they showed up?

I’ve definitely had too heavy of arrows and I was shooting a 330ibo bow at 30/81lbs… it was about a 260fps build.

tdoublev

FNG
Couple things on your post and I understand with elk hunting it’s different.. but how many animals have you even shot at without ranging or at least ranging before they showed up?

I’ve definitely had too heavy of arrows and I was shooting a 330ibo bow at 30/81lbs… it was about a 260fps build.

I mean obviously you always range and gather as much information as possible. But animals don’t go exactly where you want them to. And the further away you get, the bigger the margin of error. I realize it’s an arrow so it’s never going to be perfect, but having that confidence to make a clean kill is critical for me. I’m sure I’m much more concerned about this than most. The idea of wounding and not killing, whether because of a miss or an inadequate arrow, both haunt me.