ice ax and crampons

I have some miles on a Petzel Snowscopic on a couple late goat hunts. It worked, but I wasn’t a huge fan. The steel point on an ice axe is a good part of what makes it useful and a telescoping axe loses that and adds a relatively weak lower section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BRWNBR

WKR
I have some miles on a Petzel Snowscopic on a couple late goat hunts. It worked, but I wasn’t a huge fan. The steel point on an ice axe is a good part of what makes it useful and a telescoping axe loses that and adds a relatively weak lower section.

Ya that’s the one I’m thinking of. Seen one in the field and said no thanks.

Another note on the SMC axes. Ordered one from the manufacturer a couple years ago and ended up canceling after waiting a month. Guess they don’t normally keep those long lengths in stock.

For a hybrid set up, the BD Whippets look like a better mousetrap than the Snowscopic. You get 100% of the functionality of a trekking pole, but with some light self arrest capability. I don’t know that I’d want one for anything like real mountaineering, but as an extra claw on steep coastal grass (goat hunts), it could have utility. Overkill for most sheep hunts though, which don’t tend to have those death trap grass slopes.

Hopefully I’ll give one a test a run this year.

ozyclint

WKR
I'm a fan of the BD carbon whippet, I use it for walk in tahr hunts. Yes, it's not a fully functional ice axe but I find it a useful compromise between a trekking pole and an axe. For trekking in and out it functions well as a trekking pole and on the steep terrain it serves me well as a light ice tool. I'd be all for a walking axe like the Capra but I would find it's lack of length adjustment annoying so I accept the compromise of the whippet. The walking axe would be too short for descending and too long for steep ascents and side hilling. With the whippet I can adjust length to suit the task at hand.

BRWNBR

WKR
You may be surprised at how you don’t miss the length adjustment feature with an axe. I’ve used poles. And let clients use my axes and I carry their poles for a while so they can see the difference. But everyone likes different things. I know guys that like a rifle carrier where the gun barrel sticks right up in their face. Or a bino bra For carrying Bono’s. I can’t stand any of those things. Probably just old habits.

I’d be curious how many folks who have used axes in the mountians went back to poles.

oenanthe

WKR
I’d be curious how many folks who have used axes in the mountians went back to poles.

We're all different! In my case, I used to do an awful lot of mountaineering and I've got a collection of ice axes and hammers ranging from about 30cm to 100cm in length. I also have done a lot of backcountry skiing and bought my 1st set of adjustable poles in 1981 or so.

But I've never taken an ice axe on a hunt. I use trekking poles on just about every hunt; they're fixed length, about 120cm I think. The first time I packed a sheep out solo (20 years ago), I only had one pole. I swore I'd always take 2 after that, and I always have.

I would certainly consider taking an ice axe on certain goat or sheep hunts - just haven't run into that scenario yet.

ozyclint

WKR
We're all different! In my case, I used to do an awful lot of mountaineering and I've got a collection of ice axes and hammers ranging from about 30cm to 100cm in length.

A guy who has done a lot of mountaineering has many axes of different lengths. That tells me that each length is best suited to different tasks and uses.
I'm hunting, not climbing 8000m peaks so that's why I value the length adjustment and versatility of the whippet over all out axe capability. Whatever I take with me has to be of maximum usability on all terrain encountered from the trail head, to the hunting area and back to the trail head.

Tekla

FNG
I am a pole guy. I absolutely have to have them. When I was on a Kodiak goat hunt one time I brought some small crampons and my buddy brought an ice axe. Not even one day into the hunt we were both jealous of each other’s items. When I got home I bought an ice axe and tried to use it on the next hunt. It just wasn’t for me. Then I found the whippets. Everyone likes something different. For me it’s the security of poles. I can tell you from experience that whippets and small crampons on that steep wet grass is quite the piece of mind. Especially when you are climbing on your knees up the steep stuff. If I had to choose between ice axe or not I would go with one but if I choosing between whippets and an axe it would be the whippets everyday. I think a guy should try each and see what works best for him.

BRWNBR

WKR
That’s good advise. Everyone likes different things. In step crampons and a walking axe has been my fail safe. I’ve watched to many guys fall on their face with a heavy load depending on the trekking pole latches and designs.

OP
R

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
I've carried a fairly long ice axe on a few hunts. It has its uses thats for sure. Can't remember how long it is though. Really liked the axe and crampons in the steep alpine grass of Kodiak. Thanks for the advice.

BRWNBR

WKR
I was able to order my new walking axes thru AMH in anchorage at their retail
Price. No shipping charges.

AXEL

WKR
I ordered one when this thread started from the Vancouver, BC, SMC dealer shown on the SMC site. It arrived at my home in the Fraser Valley on Jan.02 and is much like the old Black's wooden handled one, 90cm, I used for years in the '70s and found a huge help in BC mountain trekking.

I love how light and study it is and am so happy to have found it here.

as.ks.ak

WKR
91d35348fcc8610b263cb29cfcebc2cb.jpg

I found another picture that does a good job of showcasing the scale of the 100 cm ice axe. I'm right at 6'. Maybe this will help with prospective for anybody wondering if it's tall enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

as.ks.ak

WKR
Are you wearing a Barney’s pack with your rifle hanging out front??

I am. It's the kifaru universal gunbearer...I'm not 100% sold quite yet. But I've done about 40 miles with that thing right there. I just find it in the way on those sketchy side hills or knife ridge traverses. Otherwise it's super convenient. Especially in bear country or if you're in the red zone and could potentially bump into your desired game at any point in time.

BRWNBR

WKR
I am. It's the kifaru universal gunbearer...I'm not 100% sold quite yet. But I've done about 40 miles with that thing right there. I just find it in the way on those sketchy side hills or knife ridge traverses. Otherwise it's super convenient. Especially in bear country or if you're in the red zone and could potentially bump into your desired game at any point in time.

Something to try. Ditch the top bar on that pack, instal a hook just below the top. Hang your rifle from that and put your arm thru the sling. It’s amazing. So simple. So easy. You can tie your shoes without it coming off but you can have that gun in your hands in a heartbeat!

BRWNBR

WKR
My hook looks like this. Thousands of miles with this hook holding my rifle. Simple. And I’ve never seen a gun bearer set up on any clients pack that even looks like it’s worth trying to me. Try it. If ya like it. Use it. If not, go back to complicated. Lol
8c3f7a946f5c792017f00db195078d57.jpg

as.ks.ak

WKR
My hook looks like this. Thousands of miles with this hook holding my rifle. Simple. And I’ve never seen a gun bearer set up on any clients pack that even looks like it’s worth trying to me. Try it. If ya like it. Use it. If not, go back to complicated. Lol
8c3f7a946f5c792017f00db195078d57.jpg

I really like that idea....I took the bar off before my goat hunt this year..best thing I've done yet. WAY better for those alder bashing sessions!

What do you use for a sling? I feel my thick leather sling is too much for something like that.