Idaho Elk

NZhunter

FNG
Hi guys,

Me and my buddy are from New Zealand. We are heading over next year during the rut to bow hunt elk in Idaho. I see that there are managed zones and public zones. There are lot of zones and we have no idea which ones to try for. Ideally 4wd access would be key for us to get into the zone then many miles walking is what we normally do. We are after a good bull but more concerned in seeing elk in general and any other animals you guys have over there? Are bears an issue or any other predators we need to be aware of.

Thanks for your helps,
Ben.

Pwells10

WKR
Hi guys,

Me and my buddy are from New Zealand. We are heading over next year during the rut to bow hunt elk in Idaho. I see that there are managed zones and public zones. There are lot of zones and we have no idea which ones to try for. Ideally 4wd access would be key for us to get into the zone then many miles walking is what we normally do. We are after a good bull but more concerned in seeing elk in general and any other animals you guys have over there? Are bears an issue or any other predators we need to be aware of.

Thanks for your helps,
Ben.

Hey Ben, feel free to message me. I'm a life long resident in Idaho. I'll be glad to put you in the right direction and answer any questions you have.

OP
N

NZhunter

FNG
Awesome thanks for that. Unfortunately I need to wait 7 days before I can message you haha

mwebs

WKR
Why are you constantly so negative? It's ok not to respond to a thread even if the word Idaho is included in it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Guy joins forum, instantly asks what zone to hunt in Idaho in first post and someone responds. I simply asked why he felt obliged to answer. I participate in threads outside of "first time poster, looking for information on best unit in Idaho."

Eric_mac

FNG
thinking about dipping my toe in the Idaho water myself. Bummed I didnt jump on it early December and get the unit I want.

Use the IDFG stats tool if you haven't....you can see success rates, hunter numbers, percentage of 6+ pointers killed, etc....
Bears can be problem children anywhere in elk country....came back to camp, a super clean camp, after a 15 mile hump to find it utterly destroyed by black bears...wasn't fun.

Use the IDFG stats tool if you haven't....you can see success rates, hunter numbers, percentage of 6+ pointers killed, etc....
Bears can be problem children anywhere in elk country....came back to camp, a super clean camp, after a 15 mile hump to find it utterly destroyed by black bears...wasn't fun.

For all we know, this is what Pwells10 is going to tell him. Maybe he’s not going to give him people’s “spots”. I’m much less concerned with people sending pm’s than I am people publicly posting things like drainage names and trail numbers like you see on some online forums.

For all we know, this is what Pwells10 is going to tell him. Maybe he’s not going to give him people’s “spots”. I’m much less concerned with people sending pm’s than I am people publicly posting things like drainage names and trail numbers like you see on some online forums.
Totally understandable...it's hard to believe how much the state has changed unless you were there in the 80s and 90s....