Idaho Hunters

RAHC

FNG
Hey folks its that time of year again, make your voice heard and comment on the new proposed regulations that will cover the next 2 hunting years. It seems we have a good message and voice when it comes to tag allocations and public land access. We need to continue those thoughts and ideas as it pertains to our actual hunting seasons. There is a lot to be discussed in the next couple of weeks. Lets hear some thoughts

OP
R

RAHC

FNG
Kind of surprised this thread hasn't had more interest. IDFG wants a more aggressive cow elk harvest plan to lighten the depredation load. This will impact those backcountry herds eventually given the distance some of these animals migrate. I do agree with the above statement and doing away with 'Spike Only' hunts. I fell that if the cow portion of the herd needs to be reduced it shouldn't affect the yearling bulls. Less cows and more bulls will lead to a more balanced and productive herd in the long term.

kicker338

WKR
Went to the fish&game breakfast In Coeur d'Alene and they were giving a talk about the new proposed regs. for the panhandle and overall I liked what I herd. Most interesting to me was the concern for the hunters in general, they much preferred OTC tags to controlled draw ones.

I have mixed feelings at this point. What's the reasoning for your opposition DD?

I feel like if you want a tag you buy one on the date they go on sale. also, theyre trying to give away more rifle tags 100 vs 68 to reduce elk numbers. I told em that was BS. they think the numbers have rebounded enough to justify it. I told them to let the herds grow in both areas.
not to mention its one step closer to a draw system.

TheTone

WKR
Most pushes to reduce elk numbers are coming from farmer, rancher and legislative complaints, especially on a winter like this.

Most pushes to reduce elk numbers are coming from farmer, rancher and legislative complaints, especially on a winter like this.
if the folks in Stanley, challis, clayton, and the Efork don't like wild animals on their property maybe they should move back to California(BOISE).

A knee jerk reaction to this winter isn't going to do game populations any favors. This winter will produce a die off and a redistribution of animals that hasn't been seen in a long time. Better to leave things as they are than issue a ton of cow tags that could really depress numbers especially if you add in a couple more nasty winters.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
A knee jerk reaction to this winter isn't going to do game populations any favors. This winter will produce a die off and a redistribution of animals that hasn't been seen in a long time. Better to leave things as they are than issue a ton of cow tags that could really depress numbers especially if you add in a couple more nasty winters.

I don't disagree that it might be a good idea to wait and see what the winter kill looks like and re-evaluate for the 2019-20 regs, but I also wouldn't mind seeing more opportunity for rifle hunts in the Magic Valley Region assuming the herds can support it. If I'm not mistaken, we're the only region in the state without a general season rifle hunt for cow elk. The counts have certainly been growing over the past 5 years and have been above objective for at least the last 3 in many areas, but this winter might throw a wrench in the works. I guess to sum it up, so long as we can keep herds at a sustainable level, I'd rather have the opportunity to put meat in the freezer every year within a short trip from home than shoot a quality bull every 5 years.

I don't disagree that it might be a good idea to wait and see what the winter kill looks like and re-evaluate for the 2019-20 regs, but I also wouldn't mind seeing more opportunity for rifle hunts in the Magic Valley Region assuming the herds can support it. If I'm not mistaken, we're the only region in the state without a general season rifle hunt for cow elk. The counts have certainly been growing over the past 5 years and have been above objective for at least the last 3 in many areas, but this winter might throw a wrench in the works. I guess to sum it up, so long as we can keep herds at a sustainable level, I'd rather have the opportunity to put meat in the freezer every year within a short trip from home than shoot a quality bull every 5 years.
The bull quality aside, any cow hunts past mid November are going to affect populations in a hurry. An unlimited rifle cow tag once elk are moving out of the high country and concentrating in the lower elevation is something no state should have to suffer. Maybe a youth hunt or two, but I dont see the wisdom of implementing any of their proposals this year. There's going to be animals that don't migrate back up into the mountains this year, they should see what that looks like before they make any decisions.