Is 5 PP's going to be enough in the WY General Elk

Archer86

WKR
F$ck don’t give them any ideas.

Plenty of type 4 tags out there that burn points, I don’t think it would do anything but make a type 6 tag harder and more expensive to draw.
Something has got to give 37k people bought points last year in the 1 point bracket. They are going to have to do something earlier then later. Maybe that is why they removed the cap change all the type 6 hunts to type 4 use points make more money on residents and nr.

fatlander

WKR
How would that help?

You can’t sit on your hands and stack 50
dollar points. You’d have to front the money for a tag for 5 months every year, and if you draw in the preference or random pool your points are zeroed. If you don’t apply, your points are zeroed.

That would certainly make it better. People that really didn’t want to draw on a certain year could shoot for the moon on trophy units.

Idaho’s non resident draw, I mean OTC tag sale, would also be better if people had to front the tag money to apply for an actual draw. 40k people get online because they have no skin in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
You can’t sit on your hands and stack 50
dollar points. You’d have to front the money for a tag for 5 months every year, and if you draw in the preference or random pool your points are zeroed. If you don’t apply, your points are zeroed.

That would certainly make it better. People that really didn’t want to draw on a certain year could shoot for the moon on trophy units.

Idaho’s non resident draw, I mean OTC tag sale, would also be better if people had to front the tag money to apply for an actual draw. 40k people get online because they have no skin in the game.

But that won’t change point creep. All 37,000 with 1 point could apply for max point unit. None will draw on points. Couple may get lucky on random. The rest buy a point in July. Nothing changed.

Point stackers that never apply have no bearing on point creep. Impossible to have an effect on the draw if not in the draw. Point stackers are our friends.

fatlander

WKR
But that won’t change point creep. All 37,000 with 1 point could apply for max point unit. None will draw on points. Couple may get lucky on random. The rest buy a point in July. Nothing changed.

Point stackers that never apply have no bearing on point creep. Impossible to have an effect on the draw if not in the draw. Point stackers are our friends.

I disagree. Having to front that money, year after year is going to dissuade a lot of people that stack points and then jump in when they think they have enough.

Archer86

WKR
I disagree. Having to front that money, year after year is going to dissuade a lot of people that stack points and then jump in when they think they have enough.

So price guys out to increase your odds? Kind of like the outfitters are doing in the special draw

fatlander

WKR
So price guys out to increase your odds? Kind of like the outfitters are doing in the special draw

Something has to give. The current system is going to prevent everyone from hunting. Getting people out of preference points and into a random draw is what should really happen. But that’s going to prevent outfitters from having their clients every year and the cash cow ponzi for the state goes away.

wapitibob

WKR
Meaningless. Lots of those guys will not even apply in any given year. Think about it… a guy with 18 points hasn’t applied for a license that would use those points for 18 years! My guess is he won’t apply this year either. Not for anything you are trying to draw that’s for sure.

Less than half of them apply, and if you don't apply, you don't show up in the odds reports.

Archer86

WKR
Meaningless. Lots of those guys will not even apply in any given year. Think about it… a guy with 18 points hasn’t applied for a license that would use those points for 18 years! My guess is he won’t apply this year either. Not for anything you are trying to draw that’s for sure.
It's not meaningless at all. As you can see by looking at the point buyers. The numbers keep going up. I never claimed they would all be putting in. But at some point they will apply for a tag.

Just to get through the 1-5 point holders it would take 17 years if no one else where to apply it gives you a good idea how bad the point creep is going to get

cnelk

WKR
In the past I don’t think many guys hunt the western part and then switch to the middle or eastern part. Some do I know but not enough to skew the odds that much.

If you study the areas in each region draw odds and go with what history tells you, the odds should be in your favor

Good luck

Really hate to derail a thread, but what unit would guys you put in for if you had max points for elk, and you were looking for the most strip clubs per hunter?

Not looking for anyone’s honey hole, but don’t want to waste a bunch of points for nothing after all these years. I’ve heard the stories!

Thanks in advance!!🙏🏻

Wyo_hntr

WKR
They need to change the preference point to a bonus points. Then work towards no points at all, just a random draw.

Steven.Elmore

Lil-Rokslider
Number of one point holders for the last 7 years.
1 point
37,442​
42,191​
43,974​
37,711​
32,477​
25,827​
23,307​
% of hntrs at 1 pt
20.59%​
25.12%​
29.52%​
30.40%​
31.36%​
29.36%​
30.08%​

On average about 19% of point holders apply for tags, 40% of those apply for a general.

Growth Rate YOY
-26.87%​
-23.88%​
21.75%​
31.34%​
48.68%​

Historically there are a lot of hunters that drop out of Wyoming after not drawing a tag in year 2 or 3, that number has drastically increased the last two years. Covid definitely skewed things, remote working helped keep it there, but my guess is the economy and the realization of how demanding and hard a western hunt is will cool it off in the next couple of years. Hopefully.

They need to change the preference point to a bonus points. Then work towards no points at all, just a random draw.
There is a way to do that actually. But the first step is to stop selling points. That is highly unlikely. Point systems are money makers. I wish just for one year 100,000 guys would mail me $40! Lol