Joseph von Benedikt vs Formidilosus

Justin_Tree

Lil-Rokslider
I never quite understood this part. The magnum vs smaller cartridge as to how people handle recoil, that's subjective and can at least be debated because how people handle recoil is different. The bullet choice thing isn't as subjective and there's a definite answer as to what causes more internal damage. As well as how much penetration is needed, through what resistance, etc.
What I find interesting is when people debate bullets selection it is almost like if you use the opposing bullet, it won’t work. Myself, I have killed 30+ animals with monos and don’t have much to complain about with them. however, I do find the match bullet argument quite compelling and would like to try them for hunting. Unfortunately I live in a state that that isn’t legal so I’m in a bit of a pickle.

Much like my opinion of the “fixed vs mechanical” argument there isn’t much substitute for good shot placement. Thats where I appreciate JVB’s recommendation to listeners on keeping hunting shots to 450 and less because I feel like there is so much hype on long range hunting that people think that because they have a weapon capable of long shots that they can shoot that far resulting in lost and crippled game. I think JVB does a lot of good for hunting opposed to many of the modern influencers.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
And now you have a quandary. A “do as I say, not as I do” situation. JVB shoots long range; but he is a highly skilled writer/expert. His brother did some poor long range shooting in a highly controversial way just last fall.

And now you have a quandary. A “do as I say, not as I do” situation. JVB shoots long range; but he is a highly skilled writer/expert. His brother did some poor long range shooting in a highly controversial way just last fall.
Was there ever an update to that

If I have to start scrolling past debate videos like “cranky fudd DESTROYED by FACTS and LOGIC” I’m getting a dedicated 338 WM squirrel gun and telling my gun-naive friends that anything smaller is unethical.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
It’s because he is a huge proponent of old school cartridges and namely large diameter ones for their “bone crushing power” and how energy is needed to kill things.

Hell in the recent spomer bear video he recommended guys take an elk gun, and named 300 win for ….. black bear.

I don’t particularly care either way and don’t dislike the guy, but I find his adherence to needing energy and big boomers to feel like you can kill anything off putting, but I understand different people are different, and fudd is always a personally defined word. I general i save it for semi auto haters usually

I mean if you can shoot it well and it’s within it’s performance envelope there is little downside to using a larger cartridge but there are a lot of downsides to not using enough gun for the situation.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I mean if you can shoot it well and it’s within it’s performance envelope there is little downside to using a larger cartridge but there are a lot of downsides to not using enough gun for the situation.
I think the crux is actually being able to do what you say, or think, you can do. I would place a hefty wager that if put on the spot, most "famous" hunter, shooter, authors, etc., would eat crow from their actual performance. Form will say it's about a 1.2 MOA gun with said ammo, and pound out a 1.2" or less 10+ shot group on demand. The writers are shooting 3-5 shit groups. They would get smoked.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I think the crux is actually being able to do what you say, or think, you can do. I would place a hefty wager that if put on the spot, most "famous" hunter, shooter, authors, etc., would eat crow from their actual performance. Form will say it's about a 1.2 MOA gun with said ammo, and pound out a 1.2" or less 10+ shot group on demand. The writers are shooting 3-5 shit groups. They would get smoked.

JVB's brother AVB already proved this last year.