Kifaru Bino Harness Review

tracker12

WKR
Still loving mine. No other harness checks as many boxes as this one does. One handed opening for binos and rangefinder, no magnets, molle on bottom and front. I replaced the buckles on the sides with go hooks and it’s nearly perfect now. If they would send it from factory in that configuration I wouldn’t have any complaints.
what GO Hooks are u referring to

bisblue

WKR
I went down the rabbit hole with bino harnesses this season and figured I'd throw out a quick thought on a few. I'm 6'3 #175 lanky climber build. I live in Central Idaho and archery elk season is what i build my year around.
I had a AGC years ago it was a bit floppy and top heavy and not the best lid access, things could have changed.
I've used a marsupial with magnets for 5 or more years. Great construction, easy to open, tied for first place. Never noticed any magnet issues. Wish it had a better spot just for a Diaphragm call, the only negative.
I got the kifaru harness this summer. Love the call holders and front pocket. Construction is good, shape is not as slick as the marsupial, opening one handed is not as easy as the marsupial. Range finder pouch is great. I made my own tethers, side pockets are a touch tight. Tied for first place.
Tried a FHF Pro mod. Great construction, awesome front pocket and call holder pockets, maybe the best. I just can't deal with top opening lid after using forward folding.
Mystery ranch 10x. Looks awesome on paper. Really wide size, construction is just off, feels like the materials are cheap especially whatever is under the outer fabric, last place by a mile.
Digging the kifaru, but going to put different shoulder straps on it.

Marsupial has been money for me, although it's magnetic. I am still waiting to find the perfect fully enclosed non magnetic harness.
The catamount gen 2 is worth a look, that’s where I’ve settled

I’m curious about the new gen of stone glacier, I hated their first gen, mainly how it rode and how much I felt the weight of the binos and their attachment system, but a few small changes and it would be money for me… I would say it was one of my least favorite harnesses I’ve worn but has potential to be my favorite if a few changes are made

As of now, the catamount gen 2 is my favorite, followed by my OV gen 2. I’m one of the few that doesn’t like the marsupial, it was super loud getting binos in and out (squeaky) and the magnets rusted pretty bad fairly quickly

ChrisAU

WKR
The catamount gen 2 is worth a look, that’s where I’ve settled

I’m curious about the new gen of stone glacier, I hated their first gen, mainly how it rode and how much I felt the weight of the binos and their attachment system, but a few small changes and it would be money for me… I would say it was one of my least favorite harnesses I’ve worn but has potential to be my favorite if a few changes are made

As of now, the catamount gen 2 is my favorite, followed by my OV gen 2. I’m one of the few that doesn’t like the marsupial, it was super loud getting binos in and out (squeaky) and the magnets rusted pretty bad fairly quickly

There is a new SG one coming?

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
Put the harness through its paces and feel comfortable writing my thoughts. I have run a vortex generic, kuiu(original), and ADAK. I would rate the kif above all of the harnesses listed above, knowing I haven't run all the other options on the market. Its a Med with just the RF pouch and my 10x42 NLs were snug out the gate but I dont have any issues with single hand operation now that things have loosened up. It is not the quietest, but it's not too terribly loud and I stalked inside of 40 without having any noise detection by elk. I find it quite comfortable and the strap configuration doesn't tangle any more or less than any other harness I have used. I live in WA and after 4 days of late elk can say without question it is not water proof. It rained about 6 inches here in those 4 days and it was WET in the bucket. I am going to try some nixwax and hope for better results. That having been said, all of my harnesses resulted in wet and foggy glass. Aside from a plastic bag, idk that there is a harness that can keep out that kind of rainfall.

Fit and finish is good enough. I use my stuff, I don't take photos of it to post online for people I don't know to give comments I don't care about. If a stitch is out of place or a fold isn't perfect I don't really care. If the thing falls apart or the stitching comes undone, I would care. This seems to be as well built as any other kif item I have owned. I haven't had to send anything back yet..

I'm going to stick with the harness. I could spend $ and try 4 or 5 others, but this one works fine and I imagine I'd end up with similar feelings about any of them. So if you have one you like, this one probably isn't going to make you kill more animals than you have prior. If you have one you don't like, the kif may be worth trying

Put the harness through its paces and feel comfortable writing my thoughts. I have run a vortex generic, kuiu(original), and ADAK. I would rate the kif above all of the harnesses listed above, knowing I haven't run all the other options on the market. Its a Med with just the RF pouch and my 10x42 NLs were snug out the gate but I dont have any issues with single hand operation now that things have loosened up. It is not the quietest, but it's not too terribly loud and I stalked inside of 40 without having any noise detection by elk. I find it quite comfortable and the strap configuration doesn't tangle any more or less than any other harness I have used. I live in WA and after 4 days of late elk can say without question it is not water proof. It rained about 6 inches here in those 4 days and it was WET in the bucket. I am going to try some nixwax and hope for better results. That having been said, all of my harnesses resulted in wet and foggy glass. Aside from a plastic bag, idk that there is a harness that can keep out that kind of rainfall.

Fit and finish is good enough. I use my stuff, I don't take photos of it to post online for people I don't know to give comments I don't care about. If a stitch is out of place or a fold isn't perfect I don't really care. If the thing falls apart or the stitching comes undone, I would care. This seems to be as well built as any other kif item I have owned. I haven't had to send anything back yet..

I'm going to stick with the harness. I could spend $ and try 4 or 5 others, but this one works fine and I imagine I'd end up with similar feelings about any of them. So if you have one you like, this one probably isn't going to make you kill more animals than you have prior. If you have one you don't like, the kif may be worth trying
I think stone glacier is the only actual waterproof harness (though I didn’t use it long enough to speak on it it kept water out in heavy rain)

I always wear my bino harness under my rain gear when it’s really wet, it’s the only way to keep them usable and the drier it stays, the better off you are, because they are hard to get dry

I have treated mine and they wet out pretty quickly

Last edited:

shootnrun

Lil-Rokslider
I think stone glacier is the only actual waterproof harness (though I didn’t use it long enough to speak on it it kept water out in heavy rain)

I always wear my bino harness under my rain gear when it’s really wet, it’s the only way to keep them usable and the drier it stays, the better off you are, because they are hard to get dry

I have treated mine and they wet out pretty quickly
The mountains of SW WA aren't the tallest but they do rise sharply. Keeping the harness in my rain gear results in steamy glass and a damp harness anyhow just from body heat. Would keep the bucket dry, but the glass is un-useable without a cleaning either way.

The mountains of SW WA aren't the tallest but they do rise sharply. Keeping the harness in my rain gear results in steamy glass and a damp harness anyhow just from body heat. Would keep the bucket dry, but the glass is un-useable without a cleaning either way.
Yeah, have to keep the glass dry, if they get wet, glassing becomes more difficult.

Keep water off the lenses and the harness dry, and you will stay in the game. I’m just south of you on the north central Oregon coast, there is no perfect solution, but under my rain gear is what works best for me

If you get the inside of the bucket wet in the morning, it’s very hard to get them dry by the afternoon, and if the inside is wet, you will have fogged binos every time you take them out

Like I said, still not perfect, but it’s the only way to keep binos in usable condition all day, still times you can’t win, but I try to keep the inside dry.

If I’m glassing off the tripod and it’s raining off and on, I always have a bino harness rain cover with me I put directly over my binos when it starts raining, often times that works best so you don’t have to unzip your rain jacket to get your binos, which keeps the harness drier, and your binos aren’t having the temp swings like they do on your chest to outside temp… a good bino harness rain fly keeps water off well

Keep meaning to see if i can get someone to build me a bino cover for being mounted on a tripod made of DCF and cinches on the bottom… that would be ideal

Just wearing it around the yard while shooting my bow, I noticed that it IS quiet when binos go in/out.

It’s a pretty tight fit. Not sure if I like that yet or not?
I like to pull the binos w/ one hand.

The straps adjust really easy.
I don’t like how some bino harnesses ride on my sternum. I feel like I’m fighting to breathe. I can get the Kifaru up high. So that’s a win for me. Hopefully the straps don’t rub on my neck. That’ll be a deal breaker for me.

Looking forward to some time in the field to get a better idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did it stretch to fit the bino's or is it still as snug as when new?

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went with one size bigger than recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk