Kifaru Bino Harness Review

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to order one of these, but am now a bit hesitant. I want one to carry my binos, rangefinder, a few extra rounds, and maybe some diaphragm calls without being bulky. I also want to be able to run a kydex holster under it using something like a Razco.

I was thinking about a Marsupial or Stone Glacier originally, but pretty set on the Kifaru when it first came out… Now I’m lost again
Marsupial has been money for me, although it's magnetic. I am still waiting to find the perfect fully enclosed non magnetic harness.

wy_will

FNG
Marsupial has been money for me, although it's magnetic. I am still waiting to find the perfect fully enclosed non magnetic harness.
I’m not too concerned about magnets. I don’t carry a compass and my phone is already magnetic.

ChrisAU

WKR
I’m really liking my kifaru harness. Working well for me. I like all the little pockets it has for storage

I have a feeling that is going to sway me. I was already planning on using my FHF Air Frame harness with it, and last night I realized that the FHF E4 pouch may fit well on the front as well.

renagde

WKR
I have a feeling that is going to sway me. I was already planning on using my FHF Air Frame harness with it, and last night I realized that the FHF E4 pouch may fit well on the front as well.
I ordered mine with the nav pouch. When I got it I was like I’m selling it right away. I have no use for it. My phone fits nicely inside the harness and I don’t need the extra storage. It’s an odd size since it sticks out on both sides of the medium harness. But then I put it on and discovered that my spartan bipod fits inside. I think it could be a pretty useful in rifle season if I can fit that and extra rounds inside. Not sure how much I’ll use it. That E4 pouch looks to be about the perfect size though. Does your phone fit nicely in it?

ChrisAU

WKR
I ordered mine with the nav pouch. When I got it I was like I’m selling it right away. I have no use for it. My phone fits nicely inside the harness and I don’t need the extra storage. It’s an odd size since it sticks out on both sides of the medium harness. But then I put it on and discovered that my spartan bipod fits inside. I think it could be a pretty useful in rifle season if I can fit that and extra rounds inside. Not sure how much I’ll use it. That E4 pouch looks to be about the perfect size though. Does your phone fit nicely in it?

Yeah the phone fits in their easily, along with a portable charger, chapstick, etc

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: the buckle rubbing issue
It does not run on my ribs. But it does rub on my sons rib cage when he wears it.
(Different strap setting for different sizes)
We solved the problem like this:

9ab633c51b3965fd77a89a43dba64595.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the phone fits in their easily, along with a portable charger, chapstick, etc
I ended up putting my nav pouch on the hip belt instead. It actually worked really well; I was able to fit my phone and one of those big Anker battery packs in it at the same time so I could charge my phone while I hiked. It was pretty secure in there, even when I didn't zip it up all the way. Pretty sure I'll keep the nav pouch and run it this way versus mounting it on the harness (in fact, I may sell the bino harness).

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I just got back from another hunt where I used the Kifaru Bino Harness. At this point, I'm going back to my Marsupial. The side buckles on the Kifaru are just long enough that they interfere with my pack straps and make it really uncomfortable. I'm also not a fan of the tag sewn onto the strap in the back. It catches against my pack as it moves while I'm hiking.

20230902_115408.jpg

20230902_115343.jpg

The bino pouch and the rangefinder pouch require me to use both hands almost every time to close them. I didn't use the Nav Pouch because it is wider than the bino pouch and I really couldn't see any use for it at all. My phone actually fit well in front of the binos.

IMG_7701 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
I just got back from another hunt where I used the Kifaru Bino Harness. At this point, I'm going back to my Marsupial. The side buckles on the Kifaru are just long enough that they interfere with my pack straps and make it really uncomfortable. I'm also not a fan of the tag sewn onto the strap in the back. It catches against my pack as it moves while I'm hiking.

View attachment 600141

View attachment 600142

The bino pouch and the rangefinder pouch require me to use both hands almost every time to close them. I didn't use the Nav Pouch because it is wider than the bino pouch and I really couldn't see any use for it at all. My phone actually fit well in front of the binos.

View attachment 600147
I really like the kifaru harness but I think they dropped the ball on comfort… the buckle placement sucks and I don’t like the sliding yoke on the back of the harness

I personally like the function of the harness and the pockets and how they attach… I’m not giving up on it yet, but if I can’t figure out a solution for comfort then I am going back to my OV gen 2 and ordering a catamount

It’s too bad because it’s close to excellent

On the strap setting for me the shoulder strap on my k4 cause annoying pressure… doesn’t bruise me but just annoying

pirogue

WKR
Was going to ask if I overlooked a pic/comment of the straps/yoke on back for weight distribution off the shoulders, but that buckle interfering with the backpack strap is a no.

tracker12

WKR
Still waiting for the perfect harness. At my age I doubt I’ll ever see it. All said and done I want a light weight, comfortable harness that hold my binos if I lean forward. Forward opening top is a must. If FHF would have just changed the way there original designed opened it would be perfect. The Marsupial is pretty nice but but I really feel the weight of it on. The Kifaru looks overbuilt and undersigned or over designed depending if you like or dislike the features it has. Time to try a Stone Glacier:)

renagde

WKR
Still loving mine. No other harness checks as many boxes as this one does. One handed opening for binos and rangefinder, no magnets, molle on bottom and front. I replaced the buckles on the sides with go hooks and it’s nearly perfect now. If they would send it from factory in that configuration I wouldn’t have any complaints.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Still loving mine. No other harness checks as many boxes as this one does. One handed opening for binos and rangefinder, no magnets, molle on bottom and front. I replaced the buckles on the sides with go hooks and it’s nearly perfect now. If they would send it from factory in that configuration I wouldn’t have any complaints.
Closing it is my biggest complaint. I think it's a total pain and almost always requires two hands for me.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
5a49743c0d307ffbd2b3c7722d271cfe.jpg

A lot of my problems were solved when I got a bigger sized case. Binos in and out with one hand.

The straps across the back are problematic every time. They cross and get twisted.

The zipper on the accessories pouch is super awkward. Usually leave it 1/2 open.

All in all it works plenty well, but won’t be a top-tier industry standard like the rest of their gear IMO

renagde

WKR
5a49743c0d307ffbd2b3c7722d271cfe.jpg

A lot of my problems were solved when I got a bigger sized case. Binos in and out with one hand.

The straps across the back are problematic every time. They cross and get twisted.

The zipper on the accessories pouch is super awkward. Usually leave it 1/2 open.

All in all it works plenty well, but won’t be a top-tier industry standard like the rest of their gear IMO

I was not a fan of the accessory pouch. Try as I could I couldnt get that with one hand. However, I didn’t have any need for that storage anyway so I don’t use it.

The straps do get tangled, I didn’t think anymore than my marsupial or outdoor vision harness. The thin straps don’t bother me any so no complaints there.