kuiu vs firstlite

J.B.

FNG
So I am looking to get a light and mid weight setup, and eventually raingear and cild weather clothing. Torn between the two brands. Pros/cons of either company? Any input would be appreciated.

I prefer KUIU but will admit their merino is not as nice to wear but the price benefit and patterns make it worth the slight comfort sacrifice. I think KUIU has better outer layers that are quieter than first lite. First lite is not bad by any means but I prefer quiet clothes and in the outerwear non wool items KUIU wins to me. I have not seen the first lite guide corrugate pant yet but it has my interest. I do like the first lite puffy but still think I would choose the Kenai.

This should be interesting. That said I like KUIU. I sold the 2 items I tried from FL. One tip is do not count on backordered items from KUIU getting to you in a timely manner.

First lite...you can actually buy there stuff and receive it in the same pay period... I know low blow...both have great reviews. Both make great products. Kuiu does have quieter outer layers..but first lite merino is awesome stuff..the chama hoody is an amazing piece, my favorite.

Can't really go wrong with either as far as quality hunting gear goes..

Trial153

WKR
I like to take things on a piece by piece basis ...first lite bases and wool is nicer for my money.

I like kuiu outerwear for active hunting...

Sitka and First Lite if my ass is planted on a stand.

The back order stuff issue is a pain in the ass...but it is what it is. One thing I learned with kuiu is that if I am unsure of the size I need I buy both possible sizes...after waiting so long I won't risk waiting for them to exchange sizes. I am always able to move any kuiu I have without it costing me anything.

dotman

WKR
I have used both and both are great, I sold almost all of my Kuiu gear and just have one pair of attack pants left. I currently have most of the FL stuff and it is great. The kanabs I think will become my favorite pant but to early to tell. I also have a few Kryptek items and really like them as well.

OP
J

J.B.

FNG
Interesting. Thanks for the replies. Quiet is definitely a something i need. I tend to get inside twenty yards alot...
who makes better clothing for when its 70+ degrees? I dont particularly handle hot weather well...

OP
J

J.B.

FNG
Was looking at the tiburon yes. I typicaly wear 30" waste...would be wise to get those in a 32"?

Trial153

WKR
Was looking at the tiburon yes. I typicaly wear 30" waste...would be wise to get those in a 32"?

I would give them a call and ask.

I sized one up on the pants and it was ok...the top was a different story. I sized up and it wasn't enough, I needed two sizes up

Bob

Lil-Rokslider
I typically wear 32 and both sets of my Tiburon pants, ordered a year apart, are size 32 and fit fine...the sizing thing seems to be different for everyone. The original shirt I up-sized to Lg because of the issue with the sleeves, the new set I ordered Med and it's fine.

All my KUIU pants and Sitka too, for that matter, are 32's and no sizing issues....other than I have short legs :)

As far as FL vs KUIU, I prefer FL base layers...outer layers the KUIU stuff is good...I have a pair of Kanabs coming, so can't comment on FL outer layers yet.

mauidiver

WKR
I just ordered the Tibs yesterday for the Tx summer approaching. I didnt even think to look at the poss sizing issues. I have the attack pants in 34 that fit perfect...Hope the 34 Tibs fit as well. We shall see!! Cant wait!!

Mmcan

WKR
I also like the FL base layers better by far, and I always seem to choose the FL if able. The Kuiu merino just doesn't stay as fresh for me and itches a bit.
Really like my Kanabs!
I have the Chugach as well as the Yukon rain gear. Damn nice stuff.

I just ordered the Tibs yesterday for the Tx summer approaching. I didnt even think to look at the poss sizing issues. I have the attack pants in 34 that fit perfect...Hope the 34 Tibs fit as well. We shall see!! Cant wait!!

For me the Tiburons were ever so slightly looser fitting than the attacks.

OP
J

J.B.

FNG
How long are the first lite pants? I typically wear at 30/33or34 jean, and concerned if they will be long enough.

Beendare

WKR
I think it depends on the piece of clothing between brands;

I like the FL merino base layer a little better than Kuiu- but the Kuiu will hold up better

i like the Kuiu over everything else I've seen-my only wish is that the jacket was cut a little longer as I'm tall.

jbra

FNG
I lean more towards Kuiu because they seem to be the only brand that actually fits my build well (Right in between a medium and a large at 5'9" 185 lbs). FL Kanab's are nice but they don't fit me at all. I also wasn't impressed with the brimmed beanie, hated that thing, doesn't even cover your ears. I've tried to order FL stuff in the past and it was not in stock, just like Kuiu, you just need to be prepared a month or two before season to make sure you get the gear you want. The cut of the Kuiu Attacks/Guide pants are ideal. I can't stand it when the inseam is hanging down mid thigh. I've also noticed I cannot and will not ever order any type of pants that only come in S, M, L, XL. I need 33-34" pants that can be hemmed. I have some gripes about Kuiu stuff/design every now and then but for me they're the best available.