Long range rifle scope- march vs razor vs Mk5hd

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Comp world is not demanding? That's pretty funny. My scopes have rash from getting slammed, propped, wedged against steel and wooden stage props.

I still own several nf scopes. I ran some of the very first nxs scopes that were released. Nf are great scopes.
What I mean by not very demanding is that very few shooters actually demand their scope hold zero. I'm not saying they don't get bumped around.
It's common practice to check zero before every match. There is actually a time slot alloted for this before stage/safety briefing.
This helps to prove what I'm saying. There is time set aside for shooters to zero their rifles before matches because it's so common that scopes don't hold zero.

Lawnboi

WKR
A agree that a match setting is not rough on a scope. Atleast not the matches I attend. Turrets get spun a lot, but besides the occasional guy who likes to beat the piss out of his stuff, generally it’s pretty easy to avoid any serious impact

Walking off trail about anywhere Iv been, and especially backpacking is rough on a rifle.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
A agree that a match setting is not rough on a scope. Atleast not the matches I attend. Turrets get spun a lot, but besides the occasional guy who likes to beat the piss out of his stuff, generally it’s pretty easy to avoid any serious impact

Walking off trail about anywhere Iv been, and especially backpacking is rough on a rifle.
Additionally, when hunting you don't have an opportunity to shoot your rifle to verify it's still zeroed every morning before you hunt.

Lawnboi

WKR
Additionally, when hunting you don't have an opportunity to shoot your rifle to verify it's still zeroed every morning before you hunt.
Matches around here that’s not an option either, so I wouldn’t say it’s abnormal.

Half the pack dosnt shoot consistent enough to know if their tracking is off or not. I’d bet a lot of dope issues are tracking or zero issues, seen every match. I know because I was that guy.

svivian

WKR
This helps to prove what I'm saying. There is time set aside for shooters to zero their rifles before matches because it's so common that scopes don't hold zero.
I think this is a bit of a stretch Justin.... Anyone in a competition environment sends a few rounds for warm up or practice. Its a confidence builder....Thats like saying a basketball player shoots free-throws before the game because he doesn't think the rim is official height.

That said I'm sure there are a few who indeed might be concerned about their scope losing zero but it's definitely not all nor the sole reason they allow competitors to practice prior.

Last edited:

huntnful

WKR
I have a March FX 4.5-28 and it really is an awesome scope, unfortunately it won't mount correctly on my integral base LA that I just bought.. Sadly I'll probably have to sell it
I just ground down the front lug on my $1700 integral railed action so I could mount the scope right. Never needed that front lug anyways lol. Go for it 😅

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I think this is a bit of a stretch Justin.... Anyone in a competition environment sends a few rounds for warm up or practice. Its a confidence builder....Thats like saying a basketball player shoots free-throws before the game because he doesn't think the rim is official height.

I don’t. Nor does anyone I shoot with. The difference between basketball and rifles; rifles are mechanical. Basketball is physical.

huntnful

WKR
Do the best rifles always win regardless the shooter? Genuine question based on this response
Lol what? That really wouldn’t make any sense whatsoever with regards to competition shooting where a lot of the impacts are wind related and stability related. A simple statement that the zeros should not shift, means nothing in relation to “best rifle always wins”. But 100 yards is 100 yards is 100 yards. Same very skilled dude, behind the same rifle, should repeatedly have the same zero. I still check mine all the time too, don’t get me wrong. But it quit bouncing 1/2 MOA randomly around when I changed to NF and March.

svivian

WKR
Lol what? That really wouldn’t make any sense whatsoever with regards to competition shooting where a lot of the impacts are wind related and stability related. A simple statement that the zeros should not shift, means nothing in relation to “best rifle always wins”. But 100 yards is 100 yards is 100 yards. Same very skilled dude, behind the same rifle, should repeatedly have the same zero. I still check mine all the time too, don’t get me wrong. But it quit bouncing 1/2 MOA randomly around when I changed to NF and March.
You’re right it wouldn’t make sense….. the question was tongue and cheek the answer is obvious to that question

My point was missed.... at this point its not worth being involved with these dumpster fires.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Do the best rifles always win regardless the shooter? Genuine question based on this response

If you’re saying something “tongue in cheek” why say it all, especially when it’s ridiculous on its face? The OP’s question was “who checks zero”. That doesn’t have anything to do with the “shooter”, unless their fundamentals are so broken they can’t break a trigger without having a seizure.

For a multitude of reasons I get to see quite a few hunters each year (this year it’s over a dozen so far) and almost all have to check and rezero. Of those from this year, only 2-3 had a zeroed rifle when they showed up. Granted, most were probably not zeroed to begin with, but their were some that had scope issues. I check zero constantly, mostly because I am shooting 3-7 days a week, but with guns/scopes that I’m actually using, versus those I’m playing with- I haven’t had to touch a zero in years until a ammo lot # change or the barrel gets replaced.

svivian

WKR
If you’re saying something “tongue in cheek” why say it all, especially when it’s ridiculous on its face? The OP’s question was “who checks zero”. That doesn’t have anything to do with the “shooter”, unless their fundamentals are so broken they can’t break a trigger without having a seizure.

For a multitude of reasons I get to see quite a few hunters each year (this year it’s over a dozen so far) and almost all have to check and rezero. Of those from this year, only 2-3 had a zeroed rifle when they showed up. Granted, most were probably not zeroed to begin with, but their were some that had scope issues. I check zero constantly, mostly because I am shooting 3-7 days a week, but with guns/scopes that I’m actually using, versus those I’m playing with- I haven’t had to touch a zero in years until a ammo lot # change or the barrel gets replaced.
No the OPs original question was about three optics to which in true Rokslide fashion led down to a shit fest on any brand besides Nightforce or SWFA.

My original point was I thought Justins comment was painting with a broad-brush for the reasoning guys shoot before a match. You guys decided to go on a tangent about my analogy which I really don't care at this point. I was simply stating that some people just like to warm up and prepared.

The guys I shoot with who compete as well at a high-level shoot prior to the matches.... and guess what they have night force on their rifles. you and your friends don't, good for you guys. that doesn't mean it applies to everyone, you don't get speak for every person.

I should have known better to even make a comment on these threads before someone gets the pitch forks and sets fire. Every scope thread anymore has turned into a dumpster fire of the same crap.

huntnful

WKR
No the OPs original question was about three optics to which in true Rokslide fashion led down to a shit fest on any brand besides Nightforce or SWFA.

My original point was I thought Justins comment was painting with a broad-brush for the reasoning guys shoot before a match. You guys decided to go on a tangent about my analogy which I really don't care at this point. I was simply stating that some people just like to warm up and prepared.

The guys I shoot with who compete as well at a high-level shoot prior to the matches.... and guess what they have night force on their rifles. you and your friends don't, good for you guys. that doesn't mean it applies to everyone, you don't get speak for every person.

I should have known better to even make a comment on these threads before someone gets the pitch forks and sets fire. Every scope thread anymore has turned into a dumpster fire of the same crap.
I was just a little thrown off by the time before the match being referred to as a time to check zero. But like you stated, if it's just a warm up session, of course you should take advantage of it! If it's literally just a time to check zero, and you won't shoot a match without doing it, there are major scope trust issues lol. As much as those dudes shoot prior to heading to a match, I cannot imagine why you would stress about not rechecking your rifle after a simple ride in the truck. A 20lb rifle shooting baby cartridges, and a scope mounted with premium mounts should have zero issues. That's what was throwing me off. Sorry to be so deliberate and ruining your joke lol.

fwafwow

WKR

I don't know $hit about PRS, and also very little about what is probably important to weighing in here - but I think I know what you meant when you posted about taking a shot before a match. If you get to take a "free" or warm-up shot before the match starts, why not take it? Even if I had just checked my zero earlier that day, or mounted my scope and zeroed it earlier that day, I could still think of reasons that I (or others) might shoot before the match - the lighting is different, the wind, etc., or even just because you can. I don't think that taking a free shot is direct evidence that anyone who does so is worried their scope has lost zero. But again, what the eff do I know?

And I think that while I fall on the NF/SWFA side of the aisle, I do agree that almost any post about scopes seems to go off of the rails.

svivian

WKR
I was just a little thrown off by the time before the match being referred to as a time to check zero. But like you stated, if it's just a warm up session, of course you should take advantage of it! If it's literally just a time to check zero, and you won't shoot a match without doing it, there are major scope trust issues lol. As much as those dudes shoot prior to heading to a match, I cannot imagine why you would stress about not rechecking your rifle after a simple ride in the truck. A 20lb rifle shooting baby cartridges, and a scope mounted with premium mounts should have zero issues. That's what was throwing me off. Sorry to be so deliberate and ruining your joke lol.
I agree with you. My only point with the analogy is there is still some shooter skill required. How people prepare for competition is also different. Just because a rifle is mechanical doesn't change those things. I've seen people shoot terribly with great rifles.

svivian

WKR
I don't know $hit about PRS, and also very little about what is probably important to weighing in here - but I think I know what you meant when you posted about taking a shot before a match. If you get to take a "free" or warm-up shot before the match starts, why not take it? Even if I had just checked my zero earlier that day, or mounted my scope and zeroed it earlier that day, I could still think of reasons that I (or others) might shoot before the match - the lighting is different, the wind, etc., or even just because you can. I don't think that taking a free shot is direct evidence that anyone who does so is worried their scope has lost zero. But again, what the eff do I know?

And I think that while I fall on the NF/SWFA side of the aisle, I do agree that almost any post about scopes seems to go off of the rails.
Yes this thank you.

I'm sure that there are multiple reasons to check your rifle before a match but the one that makes the most sense for a guy at a bench or laying prone and shooting at 100 yards is to check zero, regardless of scope mfr. At the limited matches ive been at, "checking zero" is what ive heard most shooters refer to that process as.

Seems like throwing a rifle on a tripod/game changer/barricade or whatever and dry firing would be much more useful for warming up or prepping for a match.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

My apologies. I had two threads open and responded to the wrong one. Ignore me responding to you. My mistake.