Long range rifle scope- march vs razor vs Mk5hd

svivian

WKR
It turns into a dumpster fire because people keep refusing to admit that holding zero is the most important thing a scope must do.

However, contact Ryan Avery as you’re not far away, and you can see and shoot what we are talking about. This holding zero thing is literally the easiest thing to show. As in, I know exactly what’s going to happen. Bring whatever scope and rifle you want.
Again I never said there are scopes that are not failing to hold zero.

I’ll shoot with anyone who wants to go shooting…. Even if it’s a savage with a Tasco on it 😏

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Again I never said there are scopes that are not failing to hold zero.

I’ll shoot with anyone who wants to go shooting…. Even if it’s a savage with a Tasco on it 😏

I thought this was a different thread. I edited my post above. My apologies.

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
My two cents:
There is no one perfect scope for LR steel target champs and people who hunt. Quick aside - hunting is using your brain and skills to get closer to the game. There are many scopes that are right on the edge and the differences are small (assuming within the same $ range). If you want to shoot the wings off flys on paper get a March. If you want to hunt get a Leupold. The differences between are picking fly poo out of spilled pepper.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
What I mean by not very demanding is that very few shooters actually demand their scope hold zero. I'm not saying they don't get bumped around.

This helps to prove what I'm saying. There is time set aside for shooters to zero their rifles before matches because it's so common that scopes don't hold zero.
There are several reasons for checking zero. If your barrel has sped up, if you got a faster lot of powder, altitude and big temp shifts. Zero needs to be checked for several reasons beyond a scope not holding zero due to manuf. issues.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
A simple short answer in my opinion if you want to build a light "ish" weight hunting rifle with one of the scopes you listed.

Vortex razor- too damn heavy, the amg is very nice and i own one.
Leupold mark 5- What i use in comp and on my primary long range hunting rifle.
March- never used one. I've heard they are nice but no personal experience. Not a very large following in the hunting/competition arena.

Hope this helps

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
There are several reasons for checking zero. If your barrel has sped up, if you got a faster lot of powder, altitude and big temp shifts. Zero needs to be checked for several reasons beyond a scope not holding zero due to manuf. issues.

If we are talking 100 yard zero none of those are going to have a big factor. Maybe a drastic barrel speed up which is rare. We’ve been conditioned to make excuses for bad scopes or cold shooter(bad fundamentals) weird shit happens but not as often as we think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

Ryan beat me to it.

You listed WHY you use a 100 yard zero. There is minimal POI shift from 0 Density altitude to 10k density altitude on a 100 yard zero. Given that you ballistic calculator is correct and your 100 yard zero is correct. Your dope will be correct.

It would make more sense to verify dope at 500 to check zero before a match to make sure you have your calculator setup to feed you the correct dope.

huntnful

WKR
Won't work.. I can't grind the bell off to slide the retardedly short tube further back
Oh so you’re already at the bell of the scope also. I had to grind the front lung AND slide my scope back until the bell touched my front ring. But in the end it ended up being a perfect placement. Definitely not ideal situation though

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t run a Leupold if it were given to me. If they don’t track and hold zero what’s the point?
Is this based on your personal experience or what you've read of forums? I'm not trying to be a smart A but looking first hand data, hearsay. I have five Leupold 5HDs and no problems to date, been using Leupold for 30 plus years, have not let me down. I'm not saying there aren't better options out there, just looking for fact based info.

I have owned three in total. All
Have required re-zeroing every year. So yes personal experience.
Three mk5s or three Leupolds?
I've had several vx5s, and a vx6 fail to track but I'm two for two with the mk5s
They're a separate beast for sure, despite all the hate.

RussDXT

WKR
They weren’t mark 5’s. Though the first hand accounts on here are enough to keep me firmly out of their scopes. In my opinion if your going to put your name on a product it should live up to your name.

That’s where I so very much appreciate NF and SWFA. You get one from them and your stacking the odds in your favor.

rayporter

WKR
a story:
March built their reputation on holding POI. they began the business because Turk Takano who was a benchrest shooter with contacts in Japan had troubles with Leupold holding poi.
most of the top shooters would keep several leupolds and one was always at the factory.

scopes were checked with a scope checker often and sent in if they did not hold solid. this is still common. so the story goes, Leupold was approached by a group of shooters and asked to make a solid scope no matter the cost. they laughed and said no one would buy it. hence the march came into existence. Leupold has played catch up ever since.

every march i have ever looked through was a WOW in glass quality and you very rarely hear of one that dont hold POI. recently march scopes may be slipping as they increase their presence in other venues as i am hearing some complaints.

Valdada is gaining a rep fast for holding POI.

MTNHUNTER76

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan beat me to it.

You listed WHY you use a 100 yard zero. There is minimal POI shift from 0 Density altitude to 10k density altitude on a 100 yard zero. Given that you ballistic calculator is correct and your 100 yard zero is correct. Your dope will be correct.

It would make more sense to verify dope at 500 to check zero before a match to make sure you have your calculator setup to feed you the correct dope.
I guess you guys don't shoot matches and it shows. Everybody checks zero at 100yds before a match. There is no perfect scope that will track perfectly every single time and hold a perfect zero for life.

I've shot/owned every single high end scope manufactured, cost no object. Leupold hasn't given me any issues. If it did I would've chunked it and mounted another brand. I have several other brands.

BBob

WKR
Can you provide 3 links supporting this? I don't remember ever reading a positive IOR comment, and they're the only brand I can say that about.
One of the winning-est BR shooters ever (Bart Sauter) has been using a Valdada 10x60 Precision or Valdada 12x52 Terminator for quite some time. Can't say if any of their other scopes are as good but there are a number of BR shooters using these.