Model 70 to 7PRC?

grfox92

WKR
Mostly I believe it’s a consequence of Remington courting or outright catering to the “shooting”market and Winchester focusing on the hunting market. Both did both of course, however in general Rem pushed “shooting” more than Winchester.
Sure would have been awesome if it was flip flopped and all the custom actions out there were based off M70s and real triggers and safeties.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
Well gonna trade for the M70 tomorrow. Gonna have to decide on a stock with a vertical grip next while looking for a gun smith to swap to swap a barrel and true it up

Jimbee

WKR
I have a 1968 model 70 300 win mag. It was given to me by my uncle, it's a cool old rifle and I keep thinking about getting it rebarreled to some flavor of 6mm and actually shooting it.

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
That 6um sounds super interesting, I don't handload so that knocks that out for me

grfox92

WKR
I have a 1968 model 70 300 win mag. It was given to me by my uncle, it's a cool old rifle and I keep thinking about getting it rebarreled to some flavor of 6mm and actually shooting it.
You would need a new bolt for a 6mm, last I checked they are about as much as a brand new Howa.

SDHNTR

WKR
Well gonna trade for the M70 tomorrow. Gonna have to decide on a stock with a vertical grip next while looking for a gun smith to swap to swap a barrel and true it up
The stock is gonna be hard to find. Buy a flattop in the style you like. Send it all to LRI, have them do the inletting, bedding, blueprinting and rebarrel. Guaranteed you’ll end up with a sweet shooter. It won’t be cheap, but it’ll be done right!

KU_Geo

WKR
Bansner is making some pretty nice stocks for model 79s if a more traditional stock works for your build.

Jimbee

WKR
You would need a new bolt for a 6mm, last I checked they are about as much as a brand new Howa.

Yeah, I'd maybe go with a 6/6.5prc. Just not sure I want to spend the money.

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
Was thinking of having Hill Country rifles do the work. They're close and have an accurizing package they can do.

Where is LRI out of?

SDHNTR

WKR
Was thinking of having Hill Country rifles do the work. They're close and have an accurizing package they can do.

Where is LRI out of?
Hill Country is also a great choice! I’ve used them on a few M70’s. If they are close to you I’d go that route as shipping is a huge PITA these days.

LRI is out of Sturgis, SD.

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
I find it interesting that this is the route you're want to go down on your first real build. It's so against the grain that I love it. Most would pick a 700 platform and I wouldn't blame them. Building off a m70 is a labor of love imo.

The rifle I first fell in love with is a model 70 crf. I've never owned a push feed m70 and wouldn't hesitate, but I much prefer the feel of the crf.

I've been waiting on stockys to drop their new stock so I can check it out and get a build going. If McMillan doesn't make anything that you're interested in, and you don't go down the LRI route, I think the stockys is going to be your best bet. If you do go the LRI route, I'd probably just let them do the entire thing and call it a day.

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
I don't mind having something a little different. After watching a few bedding videos, I don't think that's too out of my wheel house. I may need to call stockys and see if they have an ETA. I like the VG feel and look

SloppyJ

WKR
I don't mind having something a little different. After watching a few bedding videos, I don't think that's too out of my wheel house. I may need to call stockys and see if they have an ETA. I like the VG feel and look
I taught myself bedding over the past year. I've done three now. Marinetex and neutral shoe polish has worked well for me. I used modeling clay last time but I'm going to try Sticky putty on my next. The cleanup on the clay was rough. You can do it man.

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
Probably gonna go with an HS precision from stockys. Has the ergos I'm looking for and the barrel channel is opened up