Model 70 to 7PRC?

Deywalker

FNG
Anyone have experience with the "Ranger" M70s? My LGS has one and I was thinking about picking it up to turn it into a project, but the action seems pretty rough.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Anyone have experience with the "Ranger" M70s? My LGS has one and I was thinking about picking it up to turn it into a project, but the action seems pretty rough.

Yes. Just a PF M70. Unless there is something wrong with it, it’ll make a good action.

BULLBLASTER

Lil-Rokslider
Check with your builder on the need to trueing before just assuming it needs done. IMO the gains are minimal if noticeable, especially for the expense.

I too am impatiently waiting for a m70 VG from stockys. The B&C i have works fine but is not my preference ergonomically.

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
As an FYI because I am being asked, there will be a RokStok for M70’s.

What's the reasoning behind the comb slanting forward towards the receiver?

Which HS Precision?

This one here, probably in black and I'll do some painting myself

SloppyJ

WKR
What's the reasoning behind the comb slanting forward towards the receiver?

This one here, probably in black and I'll do some painting myself
There are worse options out there but I think you'd be better suited waiting for the rok stock or the stockys especially with a 7prc. With a M70 you could be into a 12lb rifle very easily and I think a stock is one of your best places to save weight since your action weight is relatively fixed.

You can dredge through the huge rok stock thread. But the true negative comb helps mitigate muzzle flip and helps you spot your shots. There's more but thats the main selling point. And they're very affordable compared to others out there.

I don't recall the specs on the VG but I believe it to be similar to the HS you posted but a little more updated to current trends. It's definitely lighter.

Have you acquired the model 70 yet? Give us some specs on it. Is it crf? Pre 64 or new style?

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
I'm not in a rush. If I can find an ETA on the rokstok I can wait. Are carbon barrels worth the extra money? I plan to just hunt with this.

I did trade for it. I'm in it around $625 by what I traded and gave some cash for. It's a push feed, 2 piece bottom metal. I don't know if it's a pre 64, maybe yall can help me with that part.

Attachments

• 20240324_162738.jpg
    20240324_162738.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240324_162801.jpg
    20240324_162801.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240324_162806.jpg
    20240324_162806.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240324_162818.jpg
    20240324_162818.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240324_163036.jpg
    20240324_163036.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240324_163054.jpg
    20240324_163054.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 29

SDHNTR

WKR
Not Pre64. All pre 64’s were CRF.

Carbon barrels aren’t anything special. There’s still a steel core inside. Steel barrels can absolutely be just as accurate. Get a good cut rifled barrel from a reputable name and you’ll be in good shape.

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
Was thinking carbon would save some weight. Saving a little money on going stainless would speed the progress up a bit

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
Prefer the vertical grip and didn't see any others that had the ergos I was looking for. I'm gonna hold out for a rok stok I think

Bert01

FNG
I’m building almost the same gun. My first rifle was a push feed mod 70 in 7mmRM it’s been sitting in the safe for a while. I’ve started doing my own barrel work and have a 7PRC reamer now so it’s going to get a makeover. I think I’ll wait on the Rok Stok too, I almost got a tikka just to get a preordered one, but I talked myself out of it. I’m interested in how yours turns out. I think I heard Stockys will inlet for whatever bottom metal you have for free, don’t know if that’s extended to the Rok Stok though.

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
I’m building almost the same gun. My first rifle was a push feed mod 70 in 7mmRM it’s been sitting in the safe for a while. I’ve started doing my own barrel work and have a 7PRC reamer now so it’s going to get a makeover. I think I’ll wait on the Rok Stok too, I almost got a tikka just to get a preordered one, but I talked myself out of it. I’m interested in how yours turns out. I think I heard Stockys will inlet for whatever bottom metal you have for free, don’t know if that’s extended to the Rok Stok though.
I may call stockys tomorrow and see if there is an ETA. Their Instagram has a post about it and their thread about needed stocks said end part of '23. Rokstok or stocky vg will work for me.

I wouldn't have the patience to learn lathe work so I'm a little jealous there. I'll have to get someone to do the barrel work for me

Oaks

FNG
I would reach out to Long Rifle Inc. They do good work on the m70s and have the blueprinting process of the m70 actions dialed!

Oaks

FNG
I love the McMillan A3 Sporter stock. If you look on McMillan website or just call them they will tell you what stocks they can inlet for. most of the newer modern shaped stocks can be inlet in for a M70. Looking forward to following your build.

I still prefer CRF but the Rangers push feeds I have handled have been solid. Rangers are usually a birch stock with sights, this one has been bedded into a walnut stock.

While it's not a "RSS", it's a great little shooter. I hunt M70's so I prefer to have same trigger & safety etc...

Attachments

• M70 Ranger 223 .jpg
    M70 Ranger 223 .jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 82

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I still prefer CRF but the Rangers push feeds I have handled have been solid. Rangers are usually a birch stock with sights, this one has been bedded into a walnut stock.

While it's not a "RSS", it's a great little shooter. I hunt M70's so I prefer to have same trigger & safety etc...

That’s a slick rifle.

SloppyJ

WKR
@stealthgoat sweet setup. I have dreams of working my current 30-06 maple supergrade into a sort of new age meets m70 crf cluster. Ream out the maple stock because it's too pretty to not use and throw a proof in there and top with a NF.

Anyways, this turned into a m70 thread and I absolutely love it. Keep that shit up guys.

@Dylan_907 that one will do. Not sure of your budget but I'd skip the carbon barrel. Not too practical and as long as you keep the length in check you won't save much weight at all compared to many contours. I'd say get it threaded for sure for a muzzle device or suppressor. LRI is the only place I've found that I would trust sending my model 70 to but I haven't looked too hard. There are certainly others out there. You'll want to have to the stock to go with it when you send it off so they can bed it and get it running perfectly for you. The last part of the equation is an optic. Good luck man and keep us posted. I'd say you're doing well at $650 for that. Seems you can't find them under 1k in most places regardless of crf or condition.

OP
D

Dylan_907

FNG
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I'll keep yall posted. I need to go through the threads and see the best barrel length. The reading I've done seems a 22" is a good compromise. Threaded will be the only way for me as I don't mind a brake and eventually it'll be suppressed. I'll skip the carbon barrel and prolly stick to a slightly heavier contour than what it currently has.

@stealthgoat
That is a pretty rifle. I have a Rem 660 in 243 that I'd like to get rebarreled and kept sporter with the original wood stock.

@Oaks I'll fire off an email and get a quote from them.

Called stockys and they're still working on getting M70 stocks out. No ETA as of yet.