Muzzle brake or not?

Encore4me

FNG
Getting a new Tikka super light in 300 Wim. Mag. and was wondering if I should brake it or not. I’m use to heavy turkey and duck loads from a 3 1/2” 12 gauge but I still don’t want to be punished while shooting. I had a Ruger M77 in 300 WM that wasn’t too bad but didn’t know about the Super light. If I do what is a good brake and where can I get it threaded?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
IMO, precision shooting is paramount, and recoil in the field causes misses and makes it harder to keep the target in the scope. Whether a shooter can take the punishment isn’t the question for me.

Killing is the purpose and braked/suppressed rifles increases the odds. Of course, you have to deal with concussive blast and wearing ear protection. It’s mandatory with a braked 300, for you and anyone near you.

There are tons of good ported brakes out there. Just don’t get a radial brake.

Yes. Muzzle break helps in several ways. Mainly to keep rifle from jumping around after each shot.

Helps ya stay on target easier. But not absolutely necessary depending on diff situations.

I can’t recommend which specific one to grab - you’ll need to compare specs of your rifle to which muzzle break works.

You’ll find some diff options that will work also.

Prob search for your model/make and see what has worked for others.

Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
if you're not shooting near me you'll probably want a brake. i was sighting in my friend's 300 WM T3x yesterday and eight shots at 180 grains was enough for me....and it's not a superlight.

but my head still hurts from half the people around me at the range yesterday shooting rifles with brakes, and i had ear plugs and muffs on. i should talk to the range about making one lane all for people with brakes. maybe that'd motivate people to put in for suppressors.....

gelton

WKR
I had an "ultralight" .300 wm and let it kick me like a mule for nearly a decade. I have a plate and 5 screws in my neck and more than once that damn thing rocked me enough to stiffen my upper back and neck muscles for a week or more at a time.

I just had it rebarrelled and put into a new stock, threw a nightforce atacr on top which added about a pound to the overall weight and added an SRS Pro 4 port brake on it...the damn thing kicks like a .243 or 6.5 creedmore at most.

I was literally amazed at the difference...so yes, put a brake on it. SRS pro, available here on Rokslide is highly recommended.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
if you're not shooting near me you'll probably want a brake. i was sighting in my friend's 300 WM T3x yesterday and eight shots at 180 grains was enough for me....and it's not a superlight.

but my head still hurts from half the people around me at the range yesterday shooting rifles with brakes, and i had ear plugs and muffs on. i should talk to the range about making one lane all for people with brakes. maybe that'd motivate people to put in for suppressors.....
This is my number one complaint about PRS matches and shooting at the range.

The concussive blast from the shockwave shakes up my brain. Gives me a headache, so I always stand way back as much as possible.

In my book only Neanderthals and caveman shoot unsuppressed. (Edit: sorry for offense, I meant it as a little light hearted comment because I am a pansy that can't take recoil or the concussive blast)

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
And people who refuse to pay the govt any more money for something that should be perfectly legal to begin with.
Can't disagree too much in principal, but the concession I make to pay all the other taxes to the man conditioned me to suffer through the process. Paying the tax stamp once, can't say that's much different than paying the cost of my truck registration every year.

Last edited:
And people who refuse to pay the govt any more money for something that should be perfectly legal to begin with.

You don’t have to pay the government anything.

But you’ll have to decide if that’s a risk you are willing to take.

Otherwise are you doing anything to change the current laws or just complying and complaining?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LoggerDan

WKR
Kind of an asshole thing to do typing that people are dumb cavemen and such because they don’t do what you do. Do you go around in person telling folks they are Neanderthal? You don’t much mix with loggers, do you?

Rich M

WKR
I was wearing just ear plugs and a fellow shot a 300 mag with a radial brake 2 stations over. It wasn't as loud as the guy 1 station over with a stock 270 under the roof. Was impressed.

mtbraun

FNG
Braked or suppressed is good for practice also. My .300WM is braked, and I can easily shoot 20 practice rounds without any discomfort.

Whisky

WKR
I used to love my braked 300prc. Then about 3 weeks I ago I fired one shot without ear protection. I'll probably flinch with that rifle for the rest of my life.

I'm solidly in the camp of shorter barrels + suppressors going forward.

I shoot a T3 300WSM that has neither a brake or suppressor.
My last handloads through Labradar showed Barnes 168gr going over 3100fps.
I shot 9 shots and I was done.
My ears were not ringing, though.
I would much rather take the recoil than the muzzle blast of a brake.
Plus I don't piss off everyone around me by being the loudest rifle at the range.
If you bought a 300WM in Superlight expecting a pleasant day at the range, that's ignorance on your part.
I would much sooner buy a suppressor than a brake.
$.02

2ski

WKR
I teach hunter ed and we do our field days at the range. We're about at least 100 yards behind the rifle line most of the time and everyone flinches when someone shoots a broke rifle.

Also is it a broke rifle, a broked rifle, and broken rifle, or a breaked rifle?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kind of an asshole thing to do typing that people are dumb cavemen and such because they don’t do what you do. Do you go around in person telling folks they are Neanderthal? You don’t much mix with loggers, do you?
Hey, it is a little bit of a joke I use, and the context is because I am a huge pansy. I am sorry for the offense.

Anyone that I pissed off, PM me and I will send you a bag. Seriously, no offense intended. And, none taken, cause as an attorney, getting called an asshole for my opinion is par for the course, hahaha.

All good fun, sorry again.