Muzzle brake or not?

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a fan of brakes generally, but particularly not for field use. Range toys and gamer guns? Go wild - if you can stand the concussion, have at it. That being said, if a brake is the only way you can actually log time behind the gun to practice or it's the only way you can manage the gun when shooting... you need a brake (or you need a heavier gun, different cartridge, etc.).

Personally, given the choice between a 7 lb gun and a brake or a 10 lb gun with a bare muzzle, I'll take the 10 lb gun every time. Given that you're a proud new super lite owner, it's safe to say you're of a different mind on that point.

1:21:40 - "Up until recently most suppressors couldn't handle big magnums correctly...big guns, big cartridges, lots of heat, mirage starts to affect you"

Just mirage? Suppressor covers have been a thing for a long time and tamping down mirage is their purpose. I don't understand how advances in suppressors have done anything about mirage outside of maybe an increase in OD but an increase in OD is done to increase suppression not decrease mirage. The thing you quoted says "until recently" too which implies they no longer see it as a problem.

wyosam

WKR
Uhhhhhh what?

It’s really simple. Fly to Wyoming, pick up your can and fly back to Alaska.

You’ll have to deal with some BS in Canada but you have an NFA item registered to you; go pick it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nope, have AK dl. Residency changes during the process make a fricken mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosam

WKR
Dude! Go get your suppressor!

Not that simple. Change of residency screws up the whole process. I could probably fake my way through it since I still have a place in Wyoming, but being sideways with the ATF isn’t high on my list of things to do. I just don’t think I care that much anymore. Honestly if I did, and I consider my time it’s probably cheaper and faster to just start over and order a new one.

DiabeticKripple

Lil-Rokslider
i do my load development on my 7 PRC with a brake. Its the only way I can stay consistent on the bench shooting 25 rounds.

I take the brake off and re-confirm groups and zero and go hunting.

my rifle is 8.5lbs with a loaded mag.

atmat

WKR
Not that simple. Change of residency screws up the whole process. I could probably fake my way through it since I still have a place in Wyoming, but being sideways with the ATF isn’t high on my list of things to do. I just don’t think I care that much anymore. Honestly if I did, and I consider my time it’s probably cheaper and faster to just start over and order a new one.

I’ll buy it from you for $1. Let’s get the paperwork started.

wyosam

WKR
I’ll buy it from you for $1. Let’s get the paperwork started.

If I consider my time to be more valuable than the hassle of the paperwork to retrieve my 1k supressor, (+ the $200 tax stamp), do you really think I’m going through the hassle for someone else?

atmat

WKR
If I consider my time to be more valuable than the hassle of the paperwork to retrieve my 1k supressor, (+ the $200 tax stamp), do you really think I’m going through the hassle for someone else?

I don’t think you have to do any! Give me the name of your LGS and I’ll talk it over with them 😏

Dbaer282

FNG
Great to help reduce recoil… just have to use good hearing protection if you value your hearing

wyosam

WKR
I don’t think you have to do any! Give me the name of your LGS and I’ll talk it over with them

You are significantly underestimating how much of a pain in the ass suppressor transfer is. Also, that “LGS” is 3100 miles away, and has changed hands since that can arrived.

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
Brakes as stated can be insanely effective. I would hand my .338-378 to a child to shoot. But under no circumstances could you shoot it without hearing protection. I fired at a coyote twice with it without protection. Didn't think much of it at the time. Work requires a hearing test every year, and my left ear is significantly weaker than my right as that's the side that faced the brake. It's that much damage in just 2 shots

Last edited:

Pdzoller

WKR
My uncle thought it would be funny to have me shoot his .300 when I was a kid. I scoped myself bad enough that it cut my forehead. Had a flinch for years when shooting anything bigger than a .243.

Fast forward, I got a .300 with a break now and have not had any problems spotting my shots. I wouldn’t shoot it near anyone else though. I’m blessed enough with where I live that finding a place to shoot isn’t an issue.

SwiftShot

WKR
I would tape the barrel and put a can on it. I use a Silencerco Omega 36M. You have a brake with it and that is what the silencer screws on too. Works amazing on my 300 RUM.
I have run just a brake on my 300 Win Mag, it was helpful.