Muzzle brake or not?

gelton

WKR
Brake vs Suppressor for me is fairly easy - on a large magnum, based on my research, I would prefer a brake, on a caliber 6.5 or smaller, no doubt I would pay the fine and get a suppressor.

In fact, I see a smaller build with an 18" barrel and suppressor in my future, but for now, I am impressed and happy with a brake on the winny, I wish I had put it on a long time ago.

atmat

WKR
, based on my research,
Is your research based on reading reviews or actually shooting suppressed? Braked magnums are LOUD and you feel the concussive blast.

A suppressor takes all that away while also reducing recoil.

TaperPin

WKR
Here’s a good article using real test equipment and various brakes and a couple of suppressors.

Honestly I’m surprised brakes are even legal to sell - even with ear plugs or muffs it’s damaging your hearing.

I’ve never been a fan of suppressors, assuming they don’t work all that well, but even I have to admit the reduction is significant.

atmat

WKR
I’ve never been a fan of suppressors, assuming they don’t work all that well, but even I have to admit the reduction is significant.
Have you tried a quality suppressor? I put it off for decades thinking they were dumb/heavy/expensive. The first time I used one I realized I had been very wrong. I now own two and hopefully will have more in the future.

madcalfe

WKR
Is your research based on reading reviews or actually shooting suppressed? Braked magnums are LOUD and you feel the concussive blast.

I have a 20" 300wsm that's braked and I get absolutely not concussive blast back on me.
Yes its loud and ignorant. the guy beside me defiantly feels the blast but I don't while shooting it.

atmat

WKR
I have a 20" 300wsm that's braked and I get absolutely not concussive blast back on me.
Yes its loud and ignorant. the guy beside me defiantly feels the blast but I don't while shooting it.
You may be accustomed to it, but you definitely get concussive blast — even if you’re not aware of it.

I used to get almost like a tension headache when I’d have a prolonged shooting session with a brake. I always kinda thought it was from eye strain on scopes. That’s totally gone with a suppressor.

And regarding noise, it’s been beat to death with a horse, but most people using standard ear plugs and ear muffs combined still cannot achieve hearing safe sound levels with a braked magnum.

madcalfe

WKR
I guess I should have worded that different. the brake I'm currently using I seem to get no concussive blast directed back towards me. Yes I've used other brakes that you could notice it. but this one does quite a good job. Although if your sitting beside me you defiantly will feel it.

WKR
And regarding noise, it’s been beat to death with a horse, but most people using standard ear plugs and ear muffs combined still cannot achieve hearing safe sound levels with a braked magnum.

The linked article above shows a 308 with various brakes from 155 to 165 db at the shooters ear. Some brakes are way worse than others, but until I see data showing 175+ db at the shooters ear for a magnum, Im going to push back on the idea that you cant get below 140 with properly used plugs and muffs.

That doesnt mean extended exposure to 139db is good, or you wont get a headache and damage from it. It could definitely be the case that a braked magnum with a loud brake is 180 db as gets stated on here, I just havent seen data to back that up.

I haven found a light 300 that was fun to shoor. Even the HEAVY .mIl 300s are kicky at 15#. My tikka lite 300wm will wake you up even without a break. Good kick. Big boom. I have found similar light, breaked guns are more blasty for sure but i cant say they are a pleasure shoot Either.

a limbsaver is worthwhile as an upgraded. Make sure it is tucked into your shoulder Or it will dork stamp you. Ask me how I know.

if I had mine threaded for a break, I would make sure the threads could handle a can, in case I changed my mind down the road.

PS - wear muffs and plugs. Save your ears.

atmat

WKR
The linked article above shows a 308 with various brakes from 155 to 165 db at the shooters ear. Some brakes are way worse than others, but until I see data showing 175+ db at the shooters ear for a magnum, Im going to push back on the idea that you cant get below 140 with properly used plugs and muffs.

That doesnt mean extended exposure to 139db is good, or you wont get a headache and damage from it. It could definitely be the case that a braked magnum with a loud brake is 180 db as gets stated on here, I just havent seen data to back that up.
A 300win mag has 60% more powder than a 308. They’re MUCH louder. And some of the 308s in that linked article were already at 165.

TaperPin

WKR
Have you tried a quality suppressor? I put it off for decades thinking they were dumb/heavy/expensive. The first time I used one I realized I had been very wrong. I now own two and hopefully will have more in the future.
I think what turned me away from suppressors was the only guys shooting them had crappy ones that didn’t seem to work very well, and I’ve assumed all of them suck.

It‘s taken a while, but I’m all on board to get one.

atmat

WKR
I think what turned me away from suppressors was the only guys shooting them had crappy ones that didn’t seem to work very well, and I’ve assumed all of them suck.

It‘s taken a while, but I’m all on board to get one.
That would turn me off as well! I have no idea how their efficiency has/hasn’t improved over time. But I know current quality ones are awesome.

gelton

WKR

Both. I have shot suppressed rifles and pistols. Definitely not impressed with the pistols or rifles that are fired in stings without giving them a rest as the fumes and back gasses caused by the suppressor kill my nasal cavity and eyes.

I have also heard from respected sources and read that there aren't many suppressors designed to handle large magnums.

As for all this talk about concussive blasts etc - all I can say is that a muzzle brake has been a pleasure for me to shoot versus a non-braked rifle - it's been a non-issue for me. Perhaps it is due to the design of the SRS brake but I literally haven't noticed it at all. And let's not forget that the topic of this thread had nothing to do with a suppressor.

To each their own, but for me, I will stick with what I've got until I build a smaller caliber.

Both. I have shot suppressed rifles and pistols. Definitely not impressed with the pistols or rifles that are fired in stings without giving them a rest as the fumes and back gasses caused by the suppressor kill my nasal cavity and eyes.
So semi autos that were suppressed. Where you're dealing with backpressure, port pop, and all sorts of stuff that has no relevance to a suppressed bolt action.

I have also heard from respected sources and read that there aren't many suppressors designed to handle large magnums.
This is an astoundingly incorrect thing to say and your respect for those "respected sources" should evaporate. There are plenty of suppressors that are specifically designed for large magnums.

This is based upon my personal experience and observations. This may or may not align with anyone else's experience and observations.

#1) The felt recoil of prone shooting an 8# all-in T3X in 300 WM is going to be significantly more than shooting a 3 1/2" goose load (which you can do all day long with ease but you will not be doing the same with the T3X in 300 WM). But shoot that 3 1/2" shell from the prone position and the T3X is a kitten in comparison. Been there, done that, and do not want to do it again. I do need to get off my rear and put a fitted Limbsaver on mine.

#2) Brakes are personal. Some like them and others do not care for them. I personally am not a fan as they hurt my ears even with double protection (foam inserts and over the ear). I dislike being around them at the range and prefer to not spot your shots for you in the field if you have a braked rifle. Bring a friend to spot your shots for you; added bonus is they can help with the pack out. If you have to hunt solo, downgrade to a less recoiling rifle, shoot from a different position (ex: easier and faster to get back on target sitting compared to prone), and/or shoot from a shorter distance where it is easier and faster to get back on target.

#3) Get a matching rifle in 223 as that will be the primary practice rifle. Cheaper to solidify your fundamentals as well as softer on the shoulder all the while building good muscle memory for the 300 WM T3X. Absolutely do need to get the 30mm dialed-in and ballistics validated. But that doesn't take 1000s of rounds to do despite what lots of folks on this site love to claim. Definitely bring it out to play, but the bulk of the shots can be done with the 223 (plus a lot cheaper).

My two big game rifles wear brakes. I always wear hearing protection or I won’t take the shot. Not worth the extra weight and length to use a suppressor for me.

If you can go suppressed do so, if not, then I would go braked but..... make absolutely sure you have hearing protection for you and others around you when taking shots on game.

For range sessions I use double hearing protection as others have mentioned. Good quality foam plugs with Electronic hearing protection over the top.

gelton

WKR
This is an astoundingly incorrect thing to say and your respect for those "respected sources" should evaporate. There are plenty of suppressors that are specifically designed for large magnums.
1:21:40 - "Up until recently most suppressors couldn't handle big magnums correctly...big guns, big cartridges, lots of heat, mirage starts to affect you"