New Stone Glacier Tent

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ill be getting one. I need a new tent anyhow and the price is right on these and it has all the features I was looking for.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Windsorcoke, we will have a tent at the Sheep Show. Unfortunately our booth space isn't large enough to display it, but we will figure out some area to show interested customers.

Mike7, thanks for the suggestion, that is a very interesting concept. The tent can be set up with just the bathtub floor accessory and the fly. Thanks for the idea, it will be something I will be curious to test.

Ben, great to hear the belt is fitting well, looking forward to photos of the pack loaded with goat and sheep this coming fall!

Best,
Kurt

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
Mike7, thanks for the suggestion, that is a very interesting concept. The tent can be set up with just the bathtub floor accessory and the fly. Thanks for the idea, it will be something I will be curious to test.

Best,
Kurt

I like the tub idea, but is there any way to keep the tub and add on a zipped netting system in the same shape as the old liner? It can get very buggy in certain areas, so I’d be hesitant to use just the fly. Could be a good option to make it able to be a 3 and 4 season tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chawn_C

FNG
This thing is pretty awesome. I hope vids of this thing start showing up soon. I’m curious about the whole setup process. Weighs a lot less than my Staika, and that’s a good thing.

deadwolf

WKR
Nice new tent from SG, I look forward to checking one out in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ben,
I understand your hesitation as I have used a Hilleberg Solo for the last 10 years and I am very accustomed to the exterior pole set up (a great tent by the way.) However, after using the Sky Scraper my preference has changed. I have had way more issues in inclement weather with the external pole design where the wet fly has to be packed with the inner tent as they are attached on the external pole design. The inner tent and outer fly then get compressed together in the stuff sack and all of that moisture gets trapped and pushed into the internal tent. I found several advantages to the external fly, the highlights for me are listed below:.

1.)As mentioned above, when you have to move camps on a wet day and the outer tent fly is wet, you can pack the inner tent separate from the wet fly to keep the inner tent from getting wet in the stuff sack. This is big advantage for me as once the inner tent gets wet, this leads to other issues such as moisture migrating into the sleeping bag and any other gear you have in the tent once you set it back up. With the external fly sheet design, you can also shake a majority of the moisture from the fly before packing as it is separate from the inner tent body. On an external pole design, this moisture/condensation ends up trapped between the fly and inner tent. The only way to shake the moisture off is to take the tents apart.
2.)The external fly sheet evenly distributes the weight over the WebTruss and poles, the weight does not hang off the poles as with an external pole design. This allows the weight to be supported by the fabric and not the stitching as stitching is a typical weak spot in fabric products. This also allows the weight to be supported evenly along the tent pole and not just at the locations where the clips are installed.
3.)The external fly sheet is a smooth surface and sheds snow evenly. I have had issues in heavy wet storms with the pole structures of an external pole design not allowing the tent to shed as the pole structures holds the snow. This smooth surface of the external fly sheet also will not catch the wind and cause as much tent “chatter” in very high winds.
4.)The external fly sheet tension is adjustable. I have had issues in the past with a sagging tent fly in very wet conditions, more prevalent with wet snow than wet rain. Add wind and you can start to get that tent “chatter.” The external tent fly can be adjusted at the four corners with tension straps as the weather/wind changes. Most external pole models are set, once you set the pole structure that is the tension you have. This has also been an issue for me on slightly uneven ground as the highest corner of the tent will sag slightly as it is being pushed up.
5.)The internal pole design also allows the same tent to be used with just the Fly Sheet and the optional tub floor for an early season tent which shaves another pound.

In regards to set up in the rain, the difference in set up time is minimal as the fly can be attached over the Web Truss before you clip the inner tent. In other words, as soon as you roll out the inner tent, you can set the poles and put the fly sheet on first. When done in the correct sequence, the inner tent is only exposed for a couple minutes.
There are many different ways to view the benefits of each design, but these are the reasons I personally prefer the internal pole design with external fly sheet. By all means there are some fine external pole design tents on the market, but the internal pole design solves the above problems I have had in the past with light weight shelters. I hope this give a little more insight as the concept behind the design. On a side note, we will have videos on all of the different set up options and more specifics as in the coming weeks.
Best,
Kurt

Stone Glacier - Ultralight Packs
Wow. I can read this without a picture of the tent in front of me and still have a very clear idea of what you are talking about. Thanks for the explanation, and I am sad that other gear makers cannot seem to be nearly as communicative.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
Looks interesting but I think I'd have more faith in a Hilleberg Staika or Tarra for what I'd use it for. But the weight savings is tempting if I wanted it for backpacking. Honestly it reminds me of a Hubba Hubba without the mesh.

One other note is that it looks like the fly rides up pretty high in the pics...if so that is not exactly what I'd like in a 4-season tent for snow and high winds.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Picked up at MSR Access 3 this off season. I like the larger size of the Acesss, but some pretty solid specs on the SG tent and some unique design features. Stone Glacier’s new business model has a dealer in Anchorage and it will be interesting to check one of these if they get some in.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
HankBC, we currently don't have any plans of a mesh only inner tent, but we will certainly keep it on our list.

Gumbo, thank you for your input. I agree with you, the Hilleberg tents are great tents and I have been using a Soulo for 10 years. My post was not intended as a comparison to Hilleberg, simply stating the moisture issues I have previously experienced external pole designs, which we we focused on resolving with the Sky Scraper.

The peak height of the Sky Scraper is 41.5", for reference, your Staika is 41".

Best,
Kurt

AXEL

WKR
To be fair, we must always compare tents of the same size and weight and this is where, IMHO, this new one really shines. It offers a LOT of useable space for the overall weight and I REALLY like that. For my uses, 95% in quite heavy forest canopy cover, and exceot in truly horrible BC weather, this is close to "ideal", IMO.

I use a Hilleberg 2009 model Saivo as my "home" in late season and it is THE "bomb" for an elderly geezer who likes space to exercise his cripped up legs without putting a hole in his shelter. I trust this in ANY conditions and have the space I want when solo as I oftimes now am.

But, having had this and my Niak and two Soulos, I will say that in terms of useable space, Hilles are heavy and the Soulos quite cramped...and I am not tall. I love them, danged near bought an Allak last November, their best overall hunting model, IMO, but, found a Hart ss blank I need for my .25-06 project and two more silver Leupy scopes, sooooooo

I really wish I could buy an Early Winters "Winterlite" made from eVent and call it good, but, that ain't gonna happen......

To be fair, we must always compare tents of the same size and weight and this is where, IMHO, this new one really shines. It offers a LOT of useable space for the overall weight and I REALLY like that. For my uses, 95% in quite heavy forest canopy cover, and exceot in truly horrible BC weather, this is close to "ideal", IMO.

I use a Hilleberg 2009 model Saivo as my "home" in late season and it is THE "bomb" for an elderly geezer who likes space to exercise his cripped up legs without putting a hole in his shelter. I trust this in ANY conditions and have the space I want when solo as I oftimes now am.

But, having had this and my Niak and two Soulos, I will say that in terms of useable space, Hilles are heavy and the Soulos quite cramped...and I am not tall. I love them, danged near bought an Allak last November, their best overall hunting model, IMO, but, found a Hart ss blank I need for my .25-06 project and two more silver Leupy scopes, sooooooo

I really wish I could buy an Early Winters "Winterlite" made from eVent and call it good, but, that ain't gonna happen......

Wow, haven't heard the Early Winters brand mentioned in a while!!
Several friends and I all bought some Early Winters Pocket Hotel Gore Tex one man tents!! My first experience with Gore Tex in anything other than the useless raingear being produced at the time!! Must have been the early 80's, maybe late 70's ??
The tents were worthless, and we all sent them back. I used the refund to buy one of their vests ( non Gore Tex). It was a really great hunting
vest and I used it for years!!

Bob

The more I look at this thing, the better I feel about it.

Kurt,

I notice on photos the fly does not extend to the bottom. How big is the overlap between the bottom of the fly and the top of the bathtub portion of the inner tent?

Thanks,
Warren

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Eddy C

FNG
Because, in today's ultra-competitive market, where many are more "gearheads" than hardcore hunters, often due to a lack of game, huntable lands and time-money, GEAR is a BIG deal.

Many become convinced that one can BUY experience, skills, fitness and motivation and so are willing to buy, buy, buy, to get the ultimate for any forays they may take. This does make it possible for all of us to get gear we could not imagine when I started in 1964 and this is, all in all, a good thing, IMHO.

I have all I need, in fact, have sold a lot of gear and some fine mountain rifles in recent years, but, even we doddering old crocks enjoy seeing and discussing the latest gear.......and anything that keeps interest in hunting increasing is a benefit simply to keep hunting alive.

So, we just gotta suffer a bit, eh ;)

Well said Dewey you're a regular book of knowledge. .....? This

Hiwallman

Lil-Rokslider
Looks interesting. I’d like to see one in person. I’ll have to go to their showroom and check it out since were in the same town.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Resurrecting an old thread. In comparison to the Soulo it has not been mentioned that if the outer of the Soulo is wet you can also separate the inner tent and pack it away in its own dry bag to keep moisture from migrating. In reverse, you can pitch the outer first then setup your dry inner. A couple minutes in the right kind of rain and you're gonna have a soaked inner tent with any separate fly tent that goes on over your support structure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

n2horns

WKR
I am looking forward in seeing the pictures and use impressions.

Kurt any news on when products will be shipped?

freshta

WKR
Anymore news about this tent? Can't seem to find anything about it other than what's in their website.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Anymore news about this tent? Can't seem to find anything about it other than what's in their website.

Search for “Slingfin CrossBow 2 reviews” or “Slingfin tent reviews” and you’ll get some stuff that comes up.

I purchased one but won’t be able to speak to much about it until it gets some serious use, so planning on updating this or posting some thoughts after the summer & fall.

Here’s what I do know upfront, I’m picky as hell about gear so will share some details I’ve found for anyone interested. I’ve got a running conversation going with Martin from Slingfin (designer) currently and he’s been very gracious with his time and willing to answer quite a bit of my questions on materials. I think getting him and Kurt on a podcast to discuss construction and design of the tent would be very interesting.

1- the webtruss provides a significant amount of strength, which I better understand better when setting one up. I can literally lean part of my weight into the tent frame because of how the system ties the poles and tensions them. Part of that comes from the poles, which are featherlight nsl’s like hilleberg uses. They also fold up smaller than I’m used to for tent poles.

2- the design uses some ultralight features but prioritizes strength over total weight. Ultralight things include very small diameter cordage, smaller door zippers, fly/body/floor materials, the DAC stakes, toggles, webbing and tensioners. But the floor plan and vestibules are huge, with a tall interior and very vertical sidewalls. There’s no dedicated vents in the fly and it’s cut higher off the ground than a hilleberg 4 season, I would call it an in-between height. The fly doors overhang so you can vent with them. The ripstop tent body is “tight” enough when you take it down you have to to open a door to let the air out of the inner. The workmanship on construction and seams are one of if not the best I have ever seen on a tent.

3- there’s some unique design details I found watching a few videos, which aren’t covered in details on any websites. For example, there are toggles to attach the fly to the web truss - those are actually an extension of the guy out point webbing loops on the fly exterior so you’re guying out the frame itself. They also have some custom “clips” from the their mountaineering tent line they use, which the Slingfin website covers. It also discusses their design philosophy, which is interesting. Most of the backpacking tents seem to be adaptations of mountaineering features for lighter weight structures.

4- one of my biggest concerns were the tent isn’t what I would call ultralight. I would compare the footprint and volume to a similar design. That would be a hubba hubba, kuiu Mountain star, big sky revolution for 3 season, probably a hilleberg allak and soulo, kuiu storm star for 4 season weights. Allak is probably the best comparison, and the skyscraper is about 2.5 lbs lighter. About a pound lighter than the storm star too, but the poke configuration is different so that isn’t a straight comparison. Compare the “mesh tent” weight of the skyscraper/ crossbow to the 3 season tents for a more direct look. The difference is the webtruss adds a bit of weight, but when you see what it adds structurally I think that’s acceptable.

5- materials: I really believe hilleberg when they say materials matter and fly tear strength is important (google hilleberg materials and read up if you haven’t). I’ve owned a hilleberg and while they are heavy, the flys and bodies really aren’t all that heavy themselves. they do use beefier floors than the 10d and 15d paper thin stuff you see in ultralight backpacking tents like a 3 lb copper spur, although I can’t find textile specs on their website. It’s when you combine that stuff with poles and stakes that things add up. **My biggest wonder was why use a PU coated fly. Hilleberg says that cuts strength big time compared with siliconized nylon. So I asked Slingfin and hear some things I knew and something new. It’s done so they can factory tape and meet fire retardancy requirements. But Martin also explained to me that PU while hydrophilic and less desirable, it doesn’t reduce tear strength as much as a hydrophobic PE coating, which is why you see it used on so many ultralight fabrics. He also explained the textile and coated product together make a big difference on material selection, meaning not all PU coated fabrics are “equal.”
Pure siliconized flys like hilleberg uses have way more stretch and strength in my experience but aren’t really used in the “mass market” due to reasons above (seam taping and fire retardancy). Having had both types, the hilleberg material seems superior to me if strength is the priority. I’ve asked for the tear strength of the Slingfin 20d fly material as well as its life expectancy and will post if I am provided it.

6- modularity: you can convert the tent from a fast pack mode with just a tub floor, to a 3 season with mesh insert, to a 4 season (rip stop body how it comes from SG) all with the same tent. Usage will dictate how useful that is. If you want 1 tent to do all those things it appears to be a great system. I found it easy to set up.

I’ll post anything else relevant to the conversation I find out from Martin, especially as it relates to materials. Hope that helps anyone trying to do some research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I picked one up at a dealer the other day in its stuff sack just to feel the weight. Packed up it is about the same size as my Soulo used to pack up. My biggest complaint will always be that it uses a separate fly setup. Probably the main reason why I'll most likely never own one. A pain to deal with in high winds, and rain...well, stuff is going to get wet. Interesting though that they didn't include any vents in the fly though. Seems to be inviting condensation issues, especially with an interior as "tight" as you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk