What tents should I be looking for???

ljalberta

WKR
Ignore if you're after a legit 2 person tent, but if you want a 2 person so it's roomy for one, the TT Scarp 1 is kind of a 1.5 person tent, plenty of space for 1, could jam 2 in an emergency. 52oz with solid inner, stakes and guylines for mine.

View attachment 663790

Also, no experience or info other than what's on the site and I don't think its out yet, but this looks interesting.

I'll wait for some user reviews though.
That Elite 2 tent is being marketed as a 4 season tent. I have zero experience with this company and hadn’t heard of them until now. I also have no hands on experience with the tent. But wow that top looks like it will snow load. If it is in fact a bona fide 4 season tent, then that’s a pretty killer option for the weight. I am skeptical though.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
That Elite 2 tent is being marketed as a 4 season tent. I have zero experience with this company and hadn’t heard of them until now. I also have no hands on experience with the tent. But wow that top looks like it will snow load. If it is in fact a bona fide 4 season tent, then that’s a pretty killer option for the weight. I am skeptical though.
Agreed. I found some more info on their indiegogo page, and looks like they'll offer an optional top crossing pole for snow load support, but it's all still going to sit on there. It's also a 'hybrid' design, so from what I can see the top and two end panels are single wall, which would be a concern for condensation, especially in winter. The inner doors slope inward, which looks like it would limit usable space for 2 inside, but probably be nice for one.

I like the two pole semi freestanding design, the weight, it's a local BC company, sil poly fabric for the cheaper version, but there's some question marks for sure.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ haven't seen that one- thanks!

my buddy has a Scarp- definitely legit; we did a trip in the sierra's and had a couple of mights of sketchy weather- he had no issues whatsoever

I’ve used the tarptent double rainbow and moment dw a bunch. Both are great. What is your time frame? Tarptent is coming out with a freestanding dome tent this spring and I’ll be grabbing one of those.

I used the SG skyscraper last year between me and my buddy, the split weight was around 2.5 lbs each. The double entry is a must. There is enough room for two guys and not be all over each other. My brother had the same tent to himself and I was a little jealous with the room he had to himself the few days we were weathered in.

0c05fdf1371bd1c40659376a1141d14a.jpg

a9d017eda0df2c4fa7c46adc2787d395.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crich

WKR
I used the SG skyscraper last year between me and my buddy, the split weight was around 2.5 lbs each. The double entry is a must. There is enough room for two guys and not be all over each other. My brother had the same tent to himself and I was a little jealous with the room he had to himself the few days we were weathered in.
Buddy of mine got one of these because he is 6'8" and can actually lay flat inside. He loves it and it seems like a bomber tent.

jpuckett

Lil-Rokslider
Would the kuiu mountain star 2p be enough for a couple guys for 5 nights since it has the two vestibules?

JD Jones

WKR
Would the kuiu mountain star 2p be enough for a couple guys for 5 nights since it has the two vestibules?

Some have done it guarantee that. How big the guys are will def matter. As far as me though, I consider it a 1p but I like my space

Usi05

WKR
I have had a fly creek ul2 and moved to tiger wall ul2 for double doors.

Just picked up a salt creek 3 for backpacking with girl and dog so I don’t damage my tiger wall.

Isn’t lightest but looks pretty slick. Will feel like tiger wall isn’t there after packing around salt creek for summer trips.

Spl772

FNG

0c05fdf1371bd1c40659376a1141d14a.jpg

a9d017eda0df2c4fa7c46adc2787d395.jpg

Did the sg do well in the weather? I have been looking at this tent myself. Can’t make up my mind between the sky scraper or sky solus. I think if the solus had a mesh insert I would probably go that route.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Did the sg do well in the weather? I have been looking at this tent myself. Can’t make up my mind between the sky scraper or sky solus. I think if the solus had a mesh insert I would probably go that route.
only real downside on the skyscraper is it can accumulate snow on the top if it is sticky, as the top has a flatter section across it. The solus will shed a lot easier.

I've come to prefer solid inners with mesh venting at the doors for their minimal weight penalty but higher gains during the shoulder seasons. I can understand wanting the mesh - but just chiming in to say I would not be terribly concerned with solid inners that still have good mesh venting areas.

It did really well in the weather. Got pretty warm in the tent even during the snow and wind. I had looked at the solus but that entry is what kept me away from it. If the wind or snow is coming in from that side you’re going to get wet whenever you open it. If it had a side entry I would have gone with the solus.

only real downside on the skyscraper is it can accumulate snow on the top if it is sticky, as the top has a flatter section across it. The solus will shed a lot easier.

I've come to prefer solid inners with mesh venting at the doors for their minimal weight penalty but higher gains during the shoulder seasons. I can understand wanting the mesh - but just chiming in to say I would not be terribly concerned with solid inners that still have good mesh venting areas.

Correct it did build up some snow on the top, but a good shake and it slid right off. In my experience.

ilash83

FNG
I've used Nemo, MSR, Big Agnes and now Seek Outside. Here is how I'd rank them:

4. MSR
3. Nemo (could flip flop with BA)
2. Big Agnes
1. Seek Outside

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’m in the same boat. I wouldn’t recommend the Hilleberg Niak because it is TIGHT for two. I’ve been eyeballing the Hilleberg Rogen - I think it would be the bees knees for what you’re describing.

It did really well in the weather. Got pretty warm in the tent even during the snow and wind. I had looked at the solus but that entry is what kept me away from it. If the wind or snow is coming in from that side you’re going to get wet whenever you open it. If it had a side entry I would have gone with the solus.

I bought a Skyscraper over Christmas but have not used it yet. How is it for summer scouting and archery, will it be overkill for that?

*zap*

WKR
I had an MSR elixer 1 and sold it because I got a dog. Have a 2 and it is very good and just got a 3 for car camping....it is very good also.....the elixer is a great tent.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I bought a Skyscraper over Christmas but have not used it yet. How is it for summer scouting and archery, will it be overkill for that?
I wouldn’t call it overkill. It’s substantial though, just need to vent it. You can get an all mesh inner for it for summer use, which might be nice.

I’ve looked at Kuiu, Stone Glacier, Hilleberg and many others. Tarptent will be dropping their new 4 season tent here shortly. 92” internal length, under 3.5lbs, TNT fabric. Will be my next purchase.

TNT -

Besides making shelters that much inherently stiffer it also means fewer guy lines are needed, meaning less to carry and easier pitching in windy weather.
IMG_8501.jpeg

Last edited: