What tents should I be looking for???

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I need a new tent for a backpack hunt I have coming up. My current tent is a hilleberg allak which is great for float hunts and boat based hunts but it weighs like 7 lbs and isn’t very compact when packed up.

I’m looking for something free standing, sub 5 lbs, 2 person, pack able etc etc.

What’s out there? Stone glacier? Kuiu? MSR???

Weight is important but I also need some solid weather resistance too.

Thanks !!!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I've seen KUIU perform well in AK, along with my Allak.
My allak has been great, it’s just heavy for hiking around with. Trying to lighten my pack and switching out the allak is probably the biggest bang for the buck.

My allak has been great, it’s just heavy for hiking around with. Trying to lighten my pack and switching out the allak is probably the biggest bang for the buck.
You're not wrong, Allak is a tank. My hunting partner brought a KUIU Stormstar and had zero issues with quite a bit of wind and typical AK rain.

ianpadron

WKR
I really like my KUIU Mountainstar. It gets the most year round use out of a somewhat ridiculous arsenal of tents (Durston XMid 2, KUIU Storm Star, Sawtooth, Megatarp, Supertarp).

I honestly don't have a single complaint about the tent. Easy to pitch, the attached fly is genius, right sized vestibules, light weight for a free standing 3+ season tent, always dry, great in the wind and snow.

I wouldn't want to share it with a buddy but the wife and I or me and our 2 dogs fit no problemo.

Really well thought out design that I've come to appreciate more every season.

In response to the Scarp 2:
We have the half-wall inner tent. Holds heat better.
It’s a great lightweight 4-season tent. Completely free-standing, once you have it erected, you can pick it up and move it around. Door on each side and gear storage on each side under the fly.
We also have the Scarp 1, which I took on a solo hike on Crow Pass.
TarpTents are easy to pack down.

Last edited:

Wolfy180

FNG
Slingfin portal 2 or 3.the 2 man version fits two men but it’s extremely tight so you have to be comfortable being shoulder to shoulder with your partner but for a sub 3lbs tent it’s extremely sturdy and weather resistant

Odd1out

FNG
I really like my KUIU Mountainstar. It gets the most year round use out of a somewhat ridiculous arsenal of tents (Durston XMid 2, KUIU Storm Star, Sawtooth, Megatarp, Supertarp).

I honestly don't have a single complaint about the tent. Easy to pitch, the attached fly is genius, right sized vestibules, light weight for a free standing 3+ season tent, always dry, great in the wind and snow.

I wouldn't want to share it with a buddy but the wife and I or me and our 2 dogs fit no problemo.

I 2nd this experience with the mountainstar. Definitely a good unit

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Look up those TarpTent Scarps on YouTube. There's tons of videos of them taking some hellacious wind and rain in England and Scotland. Places known for crappy weather. They are a favorite tent for those reasons.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Jeaves1

FNG
I would look at Kifaru and Seek Outside too. Both companies make great lightweight and durable products.

*zap*

WKR
msr elixer 2 is a very good tent but not really room for '2' and gear...a bit heavier but made from very robust materials and well designed. The red color is a bit much but you can get green for the fly if you look around.
I have a msr gear shed to use with mine and I put a stove jack in that.....have not used the stove yet thou.. Maybe this week.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Randy20210315_184159.jpg20211011_130120.jpg20221030_123719.jpg

Check out the Tarptent Cloudburst 3, took it to AK last year on a sheep hunt and it did great for 2 people, We had a few days of bad wind and rain and no issues. You can look up the specs on it but I think its around 3 1/2LBS in the 4 season configuration.

Check out the Tarptent Cloudburst 3, took it to AK last year on a sheep hunt and it did great for 2 people, We had a few days of bad wind and rain and no issues. You can look up the specs on it but I think its around 3 1/2LBS in the 4 season configuration.

Attachments

• IMG_2355_jpg.jpeg
    IMG_2355_jpg.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2309.jpeg
    IMG_2309.jpeg
    609.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2346.jpeg
    IMG_2346.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 125