What tents should I be looking for???

AKDoc

WKR
I've got a KUIU Mountain Star...have had for nearly ten years. As others have mentioned it is very lite wt, packs away well, pitches quickly, free standing, and great vestibule space on each side entrance.

My petite daughter and I have shared it for a couple of sheep hunts, but it has mostly been my solo tent for several mountain backpacking trips and a half-dozen remote hundred-mile, 10-day lite raft floats. Lots of rainy conditions and an inch of snow one year. I've never had it fail on me. However, I do always spray it with Obenauf's every year.

KUIUtent2015.sheep copy.JPGIMG_6217.jpegIMG_6229.jpegIMG_6335.jpegIMG_6305.jpeg

I've never been in it for super heavy wind nor rain blowing sideways...no experience with this tent in those specific conditions. I do like the pole-sleeve modification of the most recent version.

Last edited:
Check out the Tarptent Cloudburst 3, took it to AK last year on a sheep hunt and it did great for 2 people, We had a few days of bad wind and rain and no issues. You can look up the specs on it but I think its around 3 1/2LBS in the 4 season configuration.
Is that a Supertarp in your pics?

ljalberta

WKR
I don't know the answer as my current tents are coming close to end of life (plenty of patches on them at this point) and I've been pondering the same question. I have a MSR Hubba 1 man and a Hubba Hubba 2 man circa the 2014 - 2016ish year models. They've been excellent.

I purchased a new MSR Hubba 1 man last year, but returned it as the poles were splintering and from the reviews I could find online, it seemed like a QC issue a number of other people had run into. We've used two set of KUIU tents that both had their carbon poles snap. Maybe their aluminum poles are better, but the experiences I've had with Kuiu is so hit or miss I'm not eager to jump back in. The SG 2 man by sling fin has been excellent that a hunting partner uses, but it's not the lightest tent for early seasons.

I run floorless at times, but prefer a simple free standing tent for most of my backpack hunting.

I'll probably be trying Nemo, Tarptent or Slingfin next, but I look forward to seeing what other people are recommending these days.

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Tarptent Cloudburst 3, took it to AK last year on a sheep hunt and it did great for 2 people, We had a few days of bad wind and rain and no issues. You can look up the specs on it but I think its around 3 1/2LBS in the 4 season configuration.
20230919_091343.jpgIMG_2446.jpg
Agreed on great for two. Plenty of room for jenga when waiting on weather.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're not doing a lot of two person stuff (or it's your girlfriend or wife) the Niak is a solid choice. It'll feel light compared to your Allak :)

Someone mentioned carbon poles- for summertime I think they're great, for a lot of spring and summer ditto; but if there is a chance of bad weather- stick with aluminum for sure.

I'm looking at a shelter (from the UK) that is very close to the Niak- double cross pole design, double wall, roomy for one, side entry, etc BUT it's mostly DCF and drops the weight down to ~ 2.5 lbs (vs ~ 4 lbs) for the Niak. Haven't pulled the pin yet as I can't find much feedback on it (oh yeah and it's pretty spendy, not that the Niak isn't :D)

I'm looking at a shelter (from the UK) that is very close to the Niak- double cross pole design, double wall, roomy for one, side entry, etc BUT it's mostly DCF and drops the weight down to ~ 2.5 lbs (vs ~ 4 lbs) for the Niak. Haven't pulled the pin yet as I can't find much feedback on it (oh yeah and it's pretty spendy, not that the Niak isn't :D)
Why are you being a tease? What is it?

I will also mention the Mountainstar as a great 3season tent. Easy to use and comfortable. Do not go with the carbon poles like mentioned. I had a carbon pole snap on me in a moderate wind storm on a tropical island while on a surf trip! The aluminum version held up great on a winter Kodiak goat hunt.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Tarptent should indeed be on your radar. I own two.

I also own a Durston tent and it's my primary, but might not be my choice above treeline or in the tundra when you are expecting really serious winds.

Finally, I own an old Stephenson's Warmlite, which are still made (www.warmlite.com) and are the original tunnel tent, designed for the biggest of big mountains and very high winds. Similar to Hilleberg but significantly lighter. Not cheap but something to consider. Mine is 44 years old and I used it this past season for 10 days.

JD Jones

WKR
Just adding to Kuiu’s bottom line.

Mountain star has proven itself for others and has proven itself with me. Thats my suggestion

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a picture of the Scarp 2 next to the Kuiu for reference from my sheep hunt in NWT last fall. I went with the Scarp 2 because of my height. We had a couple nights with bad wind and rain, the scarp held up to everything thrown at it. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Attachments

• IMG_9591.jpeg
    IMG_9591.jpeg
    776.2 KB · Views: 78

IDVortex

WKR
Been needing to get a new backpacking tent and a backcountry tent, never heard of TarpTents until now, I think I've found my new tent after researching them. One day I'll do a hot tent, but wife wants a more traditional tent for camping/backpacking.

N8H

FNG
Any of the tents already mentioned would be awesome; just figured I add one more. If weight is a huge factor, look up the durston x-mid 2 or any of the others in the website. Most are sub 35oz and you can get them in dyneema.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
Ignore if you're after a legit 2 person tent, but if you want a 2 person so it's roomy for one, the TT Scarp 1 is kind of a 1.5 person tent, plenty of space for 1, could jam 2 in an emergency. 52oz with solid inner, stakes and guylines for mine.

20220903_140102.jpg

Also, no experience or info other than what's on the site and I don't think its out yet, but this looks interesting.

I'll wait for some user reviews though.