Old Elk rifle or new

So- here is my situation. Im a long time bow hunter- I havent rifle hunted elk since 2004- got a nice one in New Mexico. I was using a trusty 300 WM - win model 70 pictured. Now my buddies want to hunt late rifle again and get back into rifle to spread things out. I got a Tikka 30-06 that I shoot ok with (no fun - no brake and the thing seems to kick pretty good). I am shooting almost clover leaf groups with Nosler 165AB. I also broke out the old Win model 70 300WM. It has a brake and weighs in at 9.5# vs just under 8 on the Tikka- both weights are just scoped- so I know why the Tikka is more unpleasant. The 300 is shooting old 180 grain Win ballistic silver tips just as well- sub MOA at 100 of the bench.

My question is this - is there anything I can do in the next 45 days to lower weight on this win.? I would like a better set of scope rings (lower 2 piece) and a smaller scope. The Zeiss is nice but I know the zero is shifting and the eyebox and relief blow ( Its 20 years old). What can I do in terms of fast upgrades to this rifle? Or should I leave it as it is? The bolt and action are awesome on this- Tikka like.
tempImageNsEQI9.jpg

Attachments

• tempImagedjnAEQ.png
    tempImagedjnAEQ.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 28

BjornF16

WKR
If you want to tame the 30-06, thread the barrel and brake it.

Otherwise carry on with the 300 WM

OP
S
Agreed with all thanks guys. 300 is where it’s at I think. My main question is really around the scope set up. I don’t trust it. I’ve shot it over a few sessions this summer and it seems like the groups are awesome but always moving. 1) Are the Leopold one peice base and rings any good or crap? Am I crazy to want to switch up the scope and rings this late or go for it with a capped Trijicon that I can trust.
Thanks for the replies on my late quandary

You are not crazy to switch the scope and ring setup to something you can trust. For me, trust = proven performance over time. If you do switch it up, make sure that you get enough rounds down range over multiple sessions that you can walk away trusting the new setup more than your last setup.

BjornF16

WKR
Hard to go wrong with Trijicon…

Unless your scope is a SWFA, NF, or Trijicon, I’d swap it out if you suspect the zero is moving.

Are you using a 100 yd zero?

OP
S
Hard to go wrong with Trijicon…

Unless your scope is a SWFA, NF, or Trijicon, I’d swap it out if you suspect the zero is moving.

Are you using a 100 yd zero?
I’m 1.5” high at 100 roughly…200 yard zero. I was just shooting at 100 today. Not a lot of long range opportunities here.

Big7

FNG
If its moving and everything is tight, then yea. I would swap it out.

Easy to get caught up in the new hotness on here, and wanna toss stuff that has been working for years too.............
My 7RM still kills em' just as dead as it did 40 years ago and I've settled on two handloads as the go- to.

OP
S
I pulled the scope and base- those damn windage screws were loose on the base. None seemed really secure- thats on me, but I assumed the gunsmith who scoped it for me years ago torqued to specs and loc tited. Not so I guess. I'm going to get some lightweight Talley Rings or a DNZ Game reaper set up and Trijicon Credo (Basic3-9x) - Im not a dialer. That should shave some ounces. The Leuopold set up on there was 7 oz. Rifle is a hefty 7.5# bare.

KenLee

WKR
Agreed with all thanks guys. 300 is where it’s at I think. My main question is really around the scope set up. I don’t trust it. I’ve shot it over a few sessions this summer and it seems like the groups are awesome but always moving. 1) Are the Leopold one peice base and rings any good or crap? Am I crazy to want to switch up the scope and rings this late or go for it with a capped Trijicon that I can trust.
Thanks for the replies on my late quandary
I love the STD Leupold base and rings...for 45 years. Those old Conquest scopes are usually money, but if you aren't confident, put a $700 Trijicon on it.
I'd also dump the Tikka recoil pad for a Limbsaver or Pachmeyer Decellerator.

KenLee

WKR
I pulled the scope and base- those damn windage screws were loose on the base. None seemed really secure- thats on me, but I assumed the gunsmith who scoped it for me years ago torqued to specs and loc tited. Not so I guess. I'm going to get some lightweight Talley Rings or a DNZ Game reaper set up and Trijicon Credo (Basic3-9x) - Im not a dialer. That should shave some ounces. The Leuopold set up on there was 7 oz. Rifle is a hefty 7.5# bare.
Well now send me the Conquest and STD mounts. Now you know why zero wandered. 😉