Rifle Test & Review: Bergara B14 squared Crest

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like it quite a bit. No creep, crisp break. Comes pretty light from the factory.

Love the rifle, mine is in 6.5 creed and I’m debating getting another in 7prc!

I can’t argue with that as my rifle has the same trigger feel. It has a really consistent break and a is fairly light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corfius

FNG
Bergaras B14 have a good stock trigger. It's a bit similar to a Tikka trigger but the pull weight is a tad more heavy with both triggers adjusted.

Being a R700 clone you can swap an aftermarket trigger but I didn't feel the need.

collinjet

FNG
Bergaras B14 have a good stock trigger. It's a bit similar to a Tikka trigger but the pull weight is a tad more heavy with both triggers adjusted.

Being a R700 clone you can swap an aftermarket trigger but I didn't feel the need.
I like modding everything I own from my motorcycle to my rifles. Thought I was going to want to do a Triggertech Diamond, but I see no need to change it. Like I've already said a few times, fantastic rifle. I Highly doubt you would be disappointed with your purchase!

Here is mine lurking in Wisconsin, just ordered a Nomad TI for it on Thanksgiving. Hoping to get a good spot in line for the Idaho deer tag sale tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_5839.jpg
    IMG_5839.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 78

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Any updates on this rifle? How is the muzzle blast with the 20inch barrel and the brake in 6.5PRC? Great looking setup!

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I’m contemplating this or the ridge carbon in 7PRC or 6.5 PRC.

collinjet

FNG
I've never shot the ridge carbon, but have fondled it a few times. It's about .8lbs lighter than the crest (in 7PRC), both have the same action which is pretty damn smooth. For me personally, If I'm getting a gun with a carbon stock vs carbon barrel, I'd chose the stock. Not saying that the ridge has a flimsy stock by any means but the build quality of the crest is top notch!

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any updates on this rifle? How is the muzzle blast with the 20inch barrel and the brake in 6.5PRC? Great looking setup!
The muzzle blast isn't excessive at all. I've shot it with the factory brake, the threaded endcap, and a 5" Thunder Beast Ultra. As one would guess, the radial brake generates the most noise for the shooter but it isn't terrible. The threaded endcap configuration isn't anything noteworthy in the blast department. The suppressor is awesome but I would still want ear protection when shooting multiple rounds.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the Ridge Carbon in my possession as well. It is a great classic handling rifle that is well balanced. I love the hinged floorplate vs. the AICS mag of the Crest. But I really like the short overall length of the Crest and the stock is really nice. The Ridge stock has a tacky Duratouch coating giving it more grip while the Crest is pretty slippery. Both shoot really well with the factory ammo I have been feeding them.

I'd recommend finding a dealer with both in stock and handling them in person. Last year they were at the Western Hunting Expo and had all offerings available to check out.

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have the Ridge Carbon in my possession as well. It is a great classic handling rifle that is well balanced. I love the hinged floorplate vs. the AICS mag of the Crest. But I really like the short overall length of the Crest and the stock is really nice. The Ridge stock has a tacky Duratouch coating giving it more grip while the Crest is pretty slippery. Both shoot really well with the factory ammo I have been feeding them.

I'd recommend finding a dealer with both in stock and handling them in person. Last year they were at the Western Hunting Expo and had all offerings available to check out.
That’s some of my initial takes as well. I like hinged floor plates when hunting and hiking around vs drop down magazines - but then I like the higher comb, the carbon fiber stock, and the look of the crest. The fact that it’s lightweight is another plus. I just don’t know if their carbon barrels will hold up the same as proof or bartlein.

I would even like the crest better if it had flush magazines. Which you can do with the MDT flush - but not with 7PRC or 6.5prc

Snookster

FNG
I recently looked at both the Crest & the Ridge Carbon in 6.5 PRC.
(Currently have Bergara B-14 Terrain in 6.5 CM and very likely will upgrade to 6.5 PRC Bergara this Spring.)
I agree w/ assessment (initial impression) of liking stock & shortness of the Crest but liking hinged floor plate of Ridge Carbon over the drop out magazine. ... B-14 Terrain was my first experience w/ Bergara and thoroughly love the product. Have never had a carbon barrel so that is another consideration to think about and research. I am interested in following this conversation so please keep Postings coming.

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
So it looks like Bergara may actually be listening - they just released the crest carbon - so adding the carbon fiber barrel with the carbon fiber stock. I’d still probably prefer a flush mag or hinged bottom but it seems like a good option. Curious why they chose to exclude 300PRC (but have 7PRC)

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
So it looks like Bergara may actually be listening - they just released the crest carbon - so adding the carbon fiber barrel with the carbon fiber stock. I’d still probably prefer a flush mag or hinged bottom but it seems like a good option. Curious why they chose to exclude 300PRC (but have 7PRC)
I saw their media release this morning as I was typing my final thoughts for this review. It looks like the carbon barrel shaved a little weight off the rifle; about 1 pound on the 6.5 PRC chambering. I also saw mention of a M5 AICS-to-floorplate conversion available. That would eliminate my largest gripe of this rifle.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I saw their media release this morning as I was typing my final thoughts for this review. It looks like the carbon barrel shaved a little weight off the rifle; about 1 pound on the 6.5 PRC chambering. I also saw mention of a M5 AICS-to-floorplate conversion available. That would eliminate my largest gripe of this rifle.
I love the stock on these rifles and now if you can get a bdl type conversion for it and it’s a pound lighter I might have to get one. Checks a lot of boxes and I like the threaded and 20 inch barrel right off the shelf. Looking forward to handling one in person and checking one out when they begin sending them out.

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
I just saw this! I was pretty set on getting a Springfield Redline but now I'm torn... might end up with a Crest Carbon.

From what I have researched, Rifle Basix makes the triggers for Bergara and people seem to like Rifle Basix alot.

@robby denning and I lined up a rifle review for the upcoming season. Bergara sent their new-for-2023 B14 squared Crest rifle in a 6.5 PRC. It's a slick looking rifle with a 20" fluted barrel, a B14 action, and a newly developed carbon fiber stock. You can read more about the rifle here.
View attachment 549303
View attachment 549320
@Jim Carr just published a review of the Tract Optics Toric 2.5-15x44 scope and I will be using the same model on the Bergara Crest. You can read is review here. I'll also be sharing my thoughts on the scope as it pertains to my style of hunting. It is a scope that is slightly heavier than I'm used to and I have high hopes for it. It is mounted in @HawkinsPrecision low rings to keep things as low as possible.

View attachment 549321

Stay tuned and ask any questions about the rifle, scope, or rings.
-Josh Boyd
Been looking at this rifle for a while. Nice review 👌

I have the Bergara Crest in 6.5 CM and it is a Great rifle. I have had mine since first quarter of 2023. The new Bergara B14 squred Crest/Carbon, (Carbon Fiber Barrel), is out now and I am looking at one of those in 6.5 PRC.

From what I have researched, Rifle Basix makes the triggers for Bergara and people seem to like Rifle Basix alot.
From my reasearch the Begara adjustable trigger is actually a Rifle Basix trigger made for Bergara. My trigger on my Crest rifle is very nice.