Rifle Test & Review: Bergara B14 squared Crest

Snookster

FNG
I have the Bergara Crest in 6.5 CM and it is a Great rifle. I have had mine since first quarter of 2023. The new Bergara B14 squred Crest/Carbon, (Carbon Fiber Barrel), is out now and I am looking at one of those in 6.5 PRC.
Let us know if you get the Crest Carbon 6.5 PRC & how you like it to shoot please. I am strongly considering same rifle. Never have had a carbon barrel and interested hearing from fellow Bergara owner w/ 6.5 PRC & carbon barrel's performance.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
There have been a few questions in this thread asking about Bergara's carbon barrels and other models. I happen to have a Ridge Carbon Wilderness chambered in 6.5 PRC in my possession...and here are a few thoughts on it.

WR1.jpg

The action, bolt, and trigger are all the same as the Crest reviewed above. Everything is smooth and slop-free in the cycling of the bolt. The trigger is crisp and was set at 2.5 lbs in the factory. I didn't experience any feeding or extraction issues. Its a stout action with a Remington 700 profile and accepts any 700 pattern rings. I mounted the new @HawkinsPrecision Featherweight low rings for a very trim package. (they have been awesome rings BTW).

WR5.jpg

The Ridge Carbon comes with a hinged floorplate which I prefer over the M5 bottom metal with AICS magazines. It allows me to carry the rifle with my hand over the metal in a more natural balance point. The magazine will hold three PRC cases and feed them without issue.

WR7.jpg

The barrel on this rifle is 24 inches and is wrapped in carbon. It has the same radial-style Omni brake as the Crest as well as a threaded end cap that protects the threads if the muzzle brake is removed. The barrel is thicker in profile than the crest and is what Bergara calls a No. 6 taper profile. The 6.5 PRC comes with a 24 inch length with other chamberings varying from 20 to 24 inches.

The carbon wrap on the barrel has been durable with any noticeable damage from hunting the mountains. I found the barrel to be consistently accurate shooting a few different brands of factory ammunition. Everything shot under 1 MOA without any issue.

WR6.jpg
The stock on the Ridge Carbon Wilderness is a major departure from the Squared Crest. The shape is a more traditional profile with a angled grip, low comb, and a standard profile fore end. It is coated in a tacky SoftTouch finish which has been very durable and grippy in all conditions. I really like how tacky it is in cold and wet weather.

WR2.jpg

The stock is not carbon fiber so it lacks the stiffness that the superb Squared Crest stock has. There are molded relief cutouts with reinforcing trusses in the fore end designed to save weight and maintain some stiffness. I never experienced any accuracy issues due to stock movement or deflection. The barrel channel is amply spaced with an even gap running the entire length.

WR3.jpg

The lack of issues could be due to the factory installed pillars in the action screw holes. They seem to lock the action in solidly without any binding or flex issues. I was pleasantly surprised to see them when I pulled the stock off.

WR4.jpg

Overall, the Ridge Carbon Wilderness has a been another great rifle from Bergara. The classic stock shape isn't for everyone but the same can be said about the stock on the Squared Crest. It's always good to have choices. The rifle shoots really well, is light weight at 6.85 pounds on my scale, and is great to pack around in the mountains. The price for this rifle seems reasonable at $1499 MSR and can probably be found for less at a dealer.

Check them out at Bergara for more information.
Bergara Ridge Carbon

WR8.jpg

rrbailey

FNG
1/26/24 update: @Josh Boyd 's final and full review is up!

@robby denning and I lined up a rifle review for the upcoming season. Bergara sent their new-for-2023 B14 squared Crest rifle in a 6.5 PRC. It's a slick looking rifle with a 20" fluted barrel, a B14 action, and a newly developed carbon fiber stock. You can read more about the rifle here.
View attachment 549303
View attachment 549320
@Jim Carr just published a review of the Tract Optics Toric 2.5-15x44 scope and I will be using the same model on the Bergara Crest. You can read is review here. I'll also be sharing my thoughts on the scope as it pertains to my style of hunting. It is a scope that is slightly heavier than I'm used to and I have high hopes for it. It is mounted in @HawkinsPrecision low rings to keep things as low as possible.

View attachment 549321

Stay tuned and ask any questions about the rifle, scope, or rings.
-Josh Boyd
After the review and some field use, is this 6.5 PRC Bergara worth the $$$ or do you recommend going with a Tikka? I’m in the market for a 6.5 … I wanna shoot more rifles where I can stay on the gun to track the round from muzzle to impact.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
After the review and some field use, is this 6.5 PRC Bergara worth the $$$ or do you recommend going with a Tikka? I’m in the market for a 6.5 … I wanna shoot more rifles where I can stay on the gun to track the round from muzzle to impact.
In my opinion this rifle is worth the asking price. It's a great rifle and the stock is what really makes this one shine. Whether it's worth the $$ is really a decision you'll have to personally make.

rrbailey

FNG
In my opinion this rifle is worth the asking price. It's a great rifle and the stock is what really makes this one shine. Whether it's worth the $$ is really a decision you'll have to personally make.
Awesome to hear. Last question … how is the barrel performance? Have you kept it stock or swapped it out?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome to hear. Last question … how is the barrel performance? Have you kept it stock or swapped it out?
The barrel has been great. It has maintained it's accuracy without any cleaning during the test period. It is stock without any mods. The only thing modified was adding a suppressor for a little testing.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you find the mag protruding out to be bothersome in anyway?
Did you read the review? Both of your questions were answered in it. I mentioned the bottom metal/magazine in the review and I am not a fan. I prefer something flush like a hinged floor plate but overall I still like the rifle.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did but I read it when it first came out, sorry
No worries...I don't mind answering questions especially to clarify information. Its just those two were clearly brought up in the final written review. But sometimes those details get skipped by readers.

I'll link it here so others don't have to go looking for it in this thread.

Bergara B14 Squared Crest Review

Ajsomp

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
After reading this - I’m honestly curious to give the new crest carbon a go. With the m5 bottom metal and ability to swap to a hinged bottom metal it seems like a no brainer - you get the carbon fiber stock, carbon barrel, and hinged bottom metal. All the things that make for a handy, lightweight gun. I’d just have to narrow down 6.5prc or 7PRC. Paired with a new maven rs1.2 - it sounds like a potential new go to for my hunting needs across the board.

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
After reading this - I’m honestly curious to give the new crest carbon a go. With the m5 bottom metal and ability to swap to a hinged bottom metal it seems like a no brainer - you get the carbon fiber stock, carbon barrel, and hinged bottom metal. All the things that make for a handy, lightweight gun. I’d just have to narrow down 6.5prc or 7PRC. Paired with a new maven rs1.2 - it sounds like a potential new go to for my hunting needs across the board.
That’s the same setup I’m planning to get in 7 PRC. Feels like the ultimate western hunting rifle without breaking the bank

OutdoorAg

WKR
100% agree.

I have a Tikka CTR with a chopped barrel, in a Manners EHT, set up to use the plastic T3 mags, not the heavier CTR mags. All scoped, it weights in at a little less. So thats another option to think about.

This gun is a carbon barrel version of the CTR, IMO.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I think I am pretty sold on a carbon crest in 6.5creed or 6.5prc now. Has anyone switched out to an M5 hinged floor plate yet in one of these or have one they recommend?

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
"The trigger requires periodic maintenance and can be removed, cleaned, and lubricated."

What maintenance is required? Thanks.
Throughout the course of a hard season of use some triggers will see the full-suite of exposure to the elements. They collect dust, sand, ash, pine needles, and water which can create some issues. Lighter fluid and an air compressor is my preferred strategy for removing grime from the past season.