Sheep Boots

Any recommendations on sheep hunting boots? CO elevations 10,000'.

Last hike, I wore my lightweight snake boots that are extremely comfortable & tough. Waterproof as well. But they are high.

I'm thinking something lower, very light weight. Not overly insulated.

wyogoat

WKR
I believe that you need to error on the side of having a stiff boot that’s comfortable. Sheep country is unforgiving and packs can be heavy. I’ve had great luck with Zamberlans and Lowas but I just picked up a pair of Salewa Ravens for an upcoming sheep hunt that I’m pretty excited about. I’ve heard great things about Crispis but never had a pair and there are sites that sell things at a discount where those pop up pretty regularly.

Got two seasons on my Zamberlan Lynx, no signs of stopping yet and still waterproof.

Not too tall, no insulation, boa lace. If they work for your feet they are a good option.

Pro tip - boa will sent you a warranty repair kit for free if you fill out the form. I got one in to keep in my pack as field expedient repair would be tough.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Agree ^^
Lowa Tibet and Zamberlan 2092 fit me well and have performed great. Working with a boot fitter would be ideal to find what what would work best for your foot and needs. People have had good luck with Lathrop and Sons, but I haven't used them. Good luck!

WKR
I used older Scarpa mountaineering boots for my sheep scouting and hunt in CO with great results last year. They are about done after 6 seasons. The current model closest to mine is the Charmoz. If doing it again I'd go Charmoz or would look at the Zamberlans.

I used older Scarpa mountaineering boots for my sheep scouting and hunt in CO with great results last year. They are about done after 6 seasons. The current model closest to mine is the Charmoz. If doing it again I'd go Charmoz or would look at the Zamberlans.
I have the charmoz and used them with success in mountaineering applications but everything else they’re over kill, for me. Stiffer than a coffin nail and a tight toe box.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I have the charmoz and used them with success in mountaineering applications but everything else they’re over kill, for me. Stiffer than a coffin nail and a tight toe box.
I’d echo this, I tried them - they were tough for backpack approaches, and general getting around. But anything steep they were incredible going uphill. My feet tended to get too cold in them later in the season.

Charmoz is a nice boot but pretty specific application. I could see them working for sheep hunting with a ton of vertical. My personal preference is just a bit more comfort in boot fit though.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Agree ^^
Lowa Tibet and Zamberlan 2092 fit me well and have performed great. Working with a boot fitter would be ideal to find what what would work best for your foot and needs. People have had good luck with Lathrop and Sons, but I haven't used them. Good luck!
Both the boots you mentioned are great. I wish I'd tried Lowas years ago, the hunter evo I just got seems to check all the boxes I need so far.

I've worn down a pair of Crispi Valdres boots on several mountain treks and one sheep hunt. I have no complaints there. They're not a tall boot. I'm going sheep hunting this year and I bought a pair of Zambarlan Baltoro Lite GTX boots which are a little taller than the Valdres and a whole lot lighter on the feet. They're real nice and I like them but they haven't been tested in the field yet heavy. I'm betting they do great though.

ColeyG

WKR
The best fitting lightweight but stiff mountaineering boot you can find. Fit is waaaay more important than brand, and any major mountaineering brand is going to make quality stuff. Scarpa, La Sportiva Lowa, Zamberlan, Crispi, Arcteryx, etc.

Has anyone used the Crispi Nevadas? I have Lowa Tibets and bought the Nevada's this year at the sheep show. I love my Tibet's but was looking for something a little lighter. I dont have a ton of time in the Crispi's yet but like them. Just looking for anyone who's used them on a sheep hunt.