Sheep Boots

Fire power

Lil-Rokslider
I have been pretty happy with the cabelas/meindl alaskan hunters for the last couple seasons in the mountains. Pretty good ankle support and they stay dry in wet conditions although I recommend gaiters in tall wet grass conditions. I have not changed the insoles to anything other than what they come with. The downside is I can not compare them to any other boot so there may be better ones out there, but they work for me

For me they were the ones that the fit felt the best in. I have them in a wide and my feet are really liking them so far. I am going to try a couple of different insoles out, with the Lathrop and sons being at the top of my list right now. Most of the discomfort on the bottom of my feet is heat related because I am wearing the boots with my normal weight socks for fall and walking in very warm temps with weight right now. Will see how that goes in cool weather but expect these boots to be warm well into October for me.

Jimss

WKR
I have multiple pairs of Crispi boots. I also have Tibets and have also used Scarpas. If I am sheep hunting I'd pick the lightest Crispi's possible. Thors are the lightest pair of Crispis I've used. They have plenty of support for sheep/goat hunting in Colorado (for me). I'd steer clear of tall boots...they are just too stiff, heavy, and tough to stalk quietly in rocks.

Everyone is a little different but I buy wide widths for my particular feet. I also gut the insoles that come with the boots and buy padded insoles that add more protection against rocks. I also use socks with padding in the bottoms. I work in the field at work all year round here in Colorado and have never needed insulated boots. I generally buy boots 1 size larger so it's possible to added thicker insoles plus padded socks. I wear thinner padded socks when hot.

Does anyone use la sportiva makalu?
I used them in Afghanistan and really like them. Apparently so did some else and they were stolen from me.

For years I used Meindl Denalis and when I started working for the forest service I switched to Scarpa Fuegos. Now I’m a big fan of Scarpa boots. I also have a pretty narrow foot so I don’t have an issue with them fitting. When it gets really cold and there’s over a foot of snow I switch to their plastic boots.

Crispi Briksdal MTN GTX. light weight, great ankle support and just stiff enough for steep stuff.

Reí has the best policy on returns. You can wear them for months and return. I would not buy from a place that denies your returns if you’ve stepped off your carpet.

I think synthetic, in a high end boot, is lighter and dries faster. Durability is pretty close to the same, though good, well taken care of leather probably edges out synthetic when it comes to durability when used hard over time.
Ditto. I’ve been hunting in leather Crispi guides fir years. They have held up. Just bought the new Briksdal Mtn GTX synthetics. Mostly bc they are significantly lighter and hopefully faster drying. If they don’t work out, I will have the guide to fall back on.

ColeyG

WKR
Well, it finally happened. Sportiva Isn’t making the Trango Cube anymore and they don’t really have a suitable replacement, in my opinion, in the Trango line. The Tech and the Tower are both stiffer than I think is ideal for long walks and sheep country.

I need to get my current pair of Trango Cubes re-soled and will hopefully get another season or two out of them after that. But in the meantime, I tried on then ordered up a pair of their new Aequilibrium ST which I think they are pushing as the replacement for the Trango cube.

Other than the horrid color scheme, I think they will be a great sheep boot. They have a little more rocker than the Trango, they are lighter weight, and they made some changes to the sole that I think will be really nice for up and downhill applications.

my main question and or concern is how they do with extended sidshilling sessions. The uppers are thinner and softer than other mountain boots that I’ve had and I’m wondering if they are too soft for adequate support for steep sidehills.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Well, it finally happened. Sportiva Isn’t making the Trango Cube anymore and they don’t really have a suitable replacement, in my opinion, in the Trango line. The Tech and the Tower are both stiffer than I think is ideal for long walks and sheep country.

I need to get my current pair of Trango Cubes re-soled and will hopefully get another season or two out of them after that. But in the meantime, I tried on then ordered up a pair of their new Aequilibrium ST which I think they are pushing as the replacement for the Trango cube.

Other than the horrid color scheme, I think they will be a great sheep boot. They have a little more rocker than the Trango, they are lighter weight, and they made some changes to the sole that I think will be really nice for up and downhill applications.

my main question and or concern is how they do with extended sidshilling sessions. The uppers are thinner and softer than other mountain boots that I’ve had and I’m wondering if they are too soft for adequate support for steep sidehills.
Aquelibriums are the replacment. Most accounts say they are better. The Leather sided version would be a good choice. The rubber on the outsole is pretty interesting.

ColeyG

WKR
Aquelibriums are the replacment. Most accounts say they are better. The Leather sided version would be a good choice. The rubber on the outsole is pretty interesting.
I went with the ST (synthetic top) vs the LT (leather top) because they are lighter, among other reasons. They do make the LT in a slightly less obnoxious color scheme.

I went with the ST (synthetic top) vs the LT (leather top) because they are lighter, among other reasons. They do make the LT in a slightly less obnoxious color scheme.
How do you like them so far? I’ve got 50 or so miles on my LT’s and they’ve been awesome

ColeyG

WKR
How do you like them so far? I’ve got 50 or so miles on my LT’s and they’ve been awesome

So far so good. I've only put a handful of easy miles on mine and the fit is largely the same as the Trango Cubes. The new last feels a little longer in the toe box and perhaps a little more narrow. I am getting some pressure on the outside of my right foot just behind the pinky toe where the yellow part of the rand meets the body of the boot. It could just be that seam is a little bulky in this pair of boots rather than a made model issue. It has already softened up a bit over when they were new and shouldn't be a problem.

There is definitely more of a rocker to the sole, which I think is a good think for sheep hunting where you tend to talk on low angled terrain a lot more than front point. The new sole is awesome for downhill breaking with the giant heel lugs. I am curious to see how they do for friction on steeper rock as the rubber seems to be a harder durometer and the tread patter on the sole isn't as rock or friction friendly throughout.

The tongue and ankle flex are super comfy for a boot that still sidehills well. I do wish they made them in a color scheme that was a little less, well awful.

I am still on the fence about taking them on my first sheep hunt of the year with so little use on them. I may opt for the spare pair of tried and true backup Trangos and put a few more miles on the new ones before committing to a big mission.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm bringing in a decently broken in pair of Briksdal's on my soon to be Dall hunt. I have two pairs of Thor II's that I think would have sufficed, but I figure with an all leather upper I'd have more water resistance- goretex liner AND treated leather w/ the Briksdal.

Stiffness is very similar, the Briksdal is a little taller, not sure that's any real advantage. The Thor's are obviously lighter.

I almost changed my mind when I read of someone's account that they completely soaked their all leather boots and were wet boots the rest of the trip.

In hindsight, I think I would have been just fine with the Thor's. but the Briksdal's are broken in and treated, so sticking with Plan A :)

Also agree with the several comments that fit is King; took me a little while to finally get into a boot that fit really well- easily the most important parameter when choosing a boot.

chasewild

WKR
I wore the scarpa charmoz and they were a bit too much in the mountaineering.

But I have a super skinny foot so the scarpa's tend to work well.

So I bought the Zodiac Tech and they have been wonderful.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm bringing in a decently broken in pair of Briksdal's on my soon to be Dall hunt. I have two pairs of Thor II's that I think would have sufficed, but I figure with an all leather upper I'd have more water resistance- goretex liner AND treated leather w/ the Briksdal.

Stiffness is very similar, the Briksdal is a little taller, not sure that's any real advantage. The Thor's are obviously lighter.

I almost changed my mind when I read of someone's account that they completely soaked their all leather boots and were wet boots the rest of the trip.

In hindsight, I think I would have been just fine with the Thor's. but the Briksdal's are broken in and treated, so sticking with Plan A :)

Also agree with the several comments that fit is King; took me a little while to finally get into a boot that fit really well- easily the most important parameter when choosing a boot.
10 days and a lot of tough hiking, the Briksdal is GTG :)

Fozzy26

Lil-Rokslider
10 days and a lot of tough hiking, the Briksdal is GTG :)
Were these the Mtn or the pro that you took? Looking at the pro for better water resistance, but worried about the insulation as I mostly wear non insulated. And the mtn has me worried for water resistance due to the synthetic panels. Thanks for the insight!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Were these the Mtn or the pro that you took? Looking at the pro for better water resistance, but worried about the insulation as I mostly wear non insulated. And the mtn has me worried for water resistance due to the synthetic panels. Thanks for the insight!

These were the "plain" Briksdal- non insulated, all leather. My hunt in the Brooks in early August I definitely didn't want insulated. Even in Montana, I've found no need for insulated boots- if it gets really cold, I want pac boots.