Sheep Boots

Reí has the best policy on returns. You can wear them for months and return. I would not buy from a place that denies your returns if you’ve stepped off your carpet.
I bought a pair off blackovis and they will not accept anything over 30 days and I never wore them off my carpet! I even ordered another pair to see if they fit better, which they did. So after that it had been over 30 days to return the first pair.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Would the Schnee beartooth or granite be a better choice for sheep ? Assuming equal fit on both ?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would the Schnee beartooth or granite be a better choice for sheep ? Assuming equal fit on both ?
Granite are much stiffer shank so more suitable. I have both those boots

I think there is also a Granite pro but I haven't personally used it. Give them a call and ask them thier recommendation and why

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I’ve used kenetreks forever but only get one season out of them.

Tried Lathrop and sons. Great boots very good customer service. They just didn’t work for my feet.

I just bought the Shnee bearthooth on the Christmas sale, 50% off was to good to pass up. I have been wearing La sportiva Lhotse's for years, they are phenomenal. Much stiffer than the Schee's. I haven't loaded up a sandbag in my pack and gone on a long hike yet, but initiall impression is positive.

I’m going to buy another pair of these when they go on sale again.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any recommendations on sheep hunting boots? CO elevations 10,000'.

Last hike, I wore my lightweight snake boots that are extremely comfortable & tough. Waterproof as well. But they are high.

I'm thinking something lower, very light weight. Not overly insulated.
What did you end up with?

Der Schwabe

FNG
Classified Approved
Here's my technique for finding the perfect boots:

1. Set up appointment with local Certified Pedorthist.

2. Buy as many boots as you think you'll like, and you think will fit, before your appointment.

3. Visit Pedorthist. Have him examine your feet and some of your well-worn shoes. Try on all the new boots during the appointment.

4. Return all the ones he rejects and keep the pair he likes. Then buy more of that one, in case they become discontinued.

I did this and brought 4 different brands to my appointment. He cursed one pair, highly praised the quality of another (but rejected them because of the way they fit me), and blessed one of the other two. The pair I kept are Cabela's Instinct Mountain Hiker. They fit my feet the best, and are good quality. These may work for you, but may not. The Pedorthist is the way to go, as he found some residual issues I had from an injury I sustained over 30 years ago and gave me a physical therapy regimen to help prevent injury during my workouts and my hunt.
I heard about this approach on a podcast called Beyond the Kill. The host is Canadian Board-Certified Pedorthist, Adam Janke. He also knows a thing or two about mountain hunting.

I just wanted to chime in and say the classic everyone’s feet are different. I like the crispi briksdal for sheep and I’ve tried a lot of boots. Meindls are good too. Scarpa kuius are good if you have narrow feet. This year im trying the uninsulated synthetic briksdal.

Some great advice on here. As others have said, it's important to know your own feet and match them up to a manufacturer, as how they fit your feet is most important and will differ by brand.

I have skinnier feet. For me, the lower profile La Sportiva Trango Cube GTX fit my feet well. They're stiff in a great way for steep country. They're waterproof and they carry a heavy load well. The lower profile is nice for tricky terrain. The initial sole that came with it didn't have a good heel lock though so I slipped easily going downhill. I resoled them and have great traction now.

For day hunts with lower chance of weather, I like my Lowa Camino leather lined. They are comfortable for putting on miles walking, but not quite as stiff as the Trango Cubes.

Using both these boots for the conditions warranted covers my sheep country bases.

Also, if I could add anything else, it's to not get rosy colored glasses for "hunting" boots. Focus on boot manufacturers that make great boots for your terrain, not manufacturers marketing towards hunters.