Shrek's 6.5 saum build

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I've been reading the snipers hide thread . 50 f'n pages with like five posts that address anything I wanted to know but I'm getting there. The gap 6.5 super secret squirrel shit is not the reamer I'm going with for sure but something close. Probably a .298 neck and a longer throat to utilize my 3.045 magazine and appropriate for the 160 hard into the lands at that coal. Going to call PTG and see what type of guidance they can give. Dies and reamer are going to be ordered by the end of the week or Monday.

KMD

Banned
Ask Dave Kiff about the 'original' 6.5 GAP 4s reamer. It had a longer freebore than this re-vised (shortened) version I used in my rifle. Plus, I believe that original reamer could be had with "no turn" .298 neck. Could be what ya need...

Have fun!!!

ChrisA

WKR
My smith is a dead nuts accuracy freak, his lathe is in great shape and he dials it in to the point no one could do better. Plus he's a superb guy from Wisconsin and prices are very reasonable. PM me if you'd like his contact info. He is Matt Salm and owns Salm's Custom Rifles.

Chris

warrbuk

WKR
Make some dummy rounds just the way you want them as far as length.

A good smith can lengthen the throat to match your throat.

Or send them to Dave Kiff and have your own reamer cut.

I had a 6.5 SAUM reamer ground in 2009. I thought I knew what I wanted and ended up with a great single shot reamer(.175 free) I shortened it up later to work out of a magazine

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I talked to him yesterday and that's the reamer he was talking about. I got the bullet dimensions from Marshall at Matrix last night and I'll be doing the math today. I can mill the back of the magazine on my model 70 back .125 but Wyatt doesn't make a magazine box for the short action and unless I want to order 100+ he's not going to start. I'm going to call around and see if there is a sheet metal shop that would bend two for me. It would give me 3.18 coal in the magazine. I need to run this avenue out before I order the reamer. If I cant find a way to make a box in a couple days I'll work it up for 3.04 coal.

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
If you use the WSM mag box right from Browning/Winchester and the WSM follower you'll have a 3.050" long mag box. I've done quite a few of those on the FN SPR action using the 284 Win case and it works well.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Msalm , I can get to 3.09 by cutting the tie plate out which is 3.08 coal usable but if I can make an extended box and mill the action I can get the longer bullets just about out of the case. I'm going to look around before I give up and spec it for a 3.045 coal magazine.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Reamer is ordered. .298 no turn neck and .178 free bore. Should be about right for a 160gr Matrix vld at 3.045 col. I'm working on chasing down the die set I want. Everything should be here really to assemble by late September. I've got to get the smith lined up and brass to come free and I'll be taking this with me October 18t.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-08-16-10-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-08-16-10-38.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 73
OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I'm trying to figure out how to make an extended magazine for my wsm action., I'm thinking a donor long action box could be cut and reformed pretty easily. I think it would be the right height and the front cut and bends already there and all it would take is a cut and rebend the rear. Does anyone have a long action model 70 ss magazine box left over from a DBM conversion ? If so let me know if you want to sell it for a few bucks and help me out.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Justin , it's not for my 6.5 saum anymore. The reamer and bullet combo is pretty good with the 160 matrix and now I just saw Marshall is making a 150 gr bullet too. I can't go any longer in my 6.5 saum or the 140 bergers will be out of the case before I can get to the lands. I think the 150 gr may be an even better combo ! I can't wait ! The extended box would be for my 7mm wsm. If I can make it I'll have the throat cut longer and that would really improve what I can use with it bullet wise.

msalm

Lil-Rokslider
How long do you want for an internal length? Do you have 3.050" length on your mag box already? If not, buy the new WSM mag box and you're there at 3.050" along with the follower. If you want a pic I can post one.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I've got the 3.05 " magazine box now. If I can make a longer one my wsm short could go to 3.20 theoretically. I spec'ed my reamer for a max col of 3.045 which is all I have really usable. I am going to talk to a local welding shop about welding the back of the mag box and removing the tie plate. That's another. 004 I can pick up without modification to the action. Lots to play with but if I want to reach the lands with lighter bullets I can't go any further with the 6.5 saum. My 7mm wsm could really use another. 16 total col.