Sinking meat in a creek to cool

Bandersen

FNG
For solo elk hunting early season I’m planning to bring either contractor bags or ‘space saver’ bags so that after the meat has hung in game bags, dried and cooled, I can sink them into a creek or lake during the heat of day while I pack the rest out. (I’ll take them out at night and hang them dry them again so they don’t end up sitting in blood). My question is how much of a pain in the a$$ are contractor bags to sink and not puncture, and to anyone who’s used space savers; any issues with waterproof reliability/what’s the weight on “jumbo” or XLs?

jolemons

WKR
Not a direct answer, but I've always just put my synthetic game bags in a stream, no plastic barrier. Meat quality has never been an issue when doing so for up to a full day.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Hnthrdr

WKR
Highly recommend not getting the meat wet. Moisture will grow bacteria exponentially faster than dry meat.

Never had an issue, just remember to keep them out of direct sunlight if they are in a back bag. Especially if they are only partially submerged. Have also built small “ladders” over a creek in the shade to keep meat cool. Never had an issue with puncturing the heavy duty bags

Not a direct answer, but I've always just put my synthetic game bags in a stream, no plastic barrier. Meat quality has never been an issue when doing so for up to a full day.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
I think if I were to do this I'd do it this way, in the game bags.

Bacteria definitely needs moisture to grow but it's kinda always getting rinsed with the creek flowing, definitely wouldn't touch any water that's not flowing.

TheTone

WKR
I’ve seen it done a couple times in game bags and just uncovered meat, never with good results. Dirty and smelly were main issues I saw

I have always been told no to get the meat wet. I would use the creek as an air conditioner of sorts. Lay some sticks/logs across and let the air cool.

Beendare

WKR
It works.

I use the food grade bags, Amazon has them.
I have used these on Kodiak, put these inside a dry bag and sunk it in the lake so the Brown Bears did’t find it.

Reactions: MJB

IdahoElk

WKR
I've laid a grid of saplings across a creek, place meat on top and covered meat with aspen branches with leaves, works great.

My group has done it early season when the temps are high. Certainly better than putting the meat straight in the water. On the plus side, the contractor bags weight almost nothing and can double as waterproofing prior to putting the meat in them.

Meat Eater did that on an Alaskan sheep hunt (or the buffalo hunt) I believe with game bags. I think I read it in one of his books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahr

FNG
During the heat and once cooled I put the meat in roll top dry bags and put into a creek. If there is a current I tether it to the bank with some para cord through the roll top loop. Meat keeps dry and cool.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I've had meat go bad. Lost a whole moose. When the moose was shot it fell into the river. I believe that with all the bacteria from dead salmon n such. The bacteria was able and travel right down the bone into the meat. It turned green in 2 days. If you get meat wet in a creek or river process it immediately

Beendare

WKR
I've had meat go bad. Lost a whole moose. When the moose was shot it fell into the river. I believe that with all the bacteria from dead salmon n such. The bacteria was able and travel right down the bone into the meat. It turned green in 2 days. If you get meat wet in a creek or river process it immediately
Dang, good lesson for the rest of us.

Moving water sometimes has a lot of particles in in. I washed on chunk of bloody meat in a fast moving stream and it came back covered in tiny bits of sand and such.

MJB

WKR
I do it all the time with contractors bags zip tie it and leave the tie above the water line.

SonnyDay

WKR
Kinda tangential... but I have had a tough time recently finding contractor bags that don't have perfume on them (why the world thinks contractor bags need perfume is beyond me). If you go this route make sure those bags are just plastic!

def90

WKR
If it's dried and cooled, why are you sinking it?

Was in the 70's here in Colorado yesterday at 10k ft where I was at.

If you are packing stuff out by yourself it can take a while, depending on where I could easily see spending 2 days doing it by yourself. Trips back and forth to the vehicle then the meat sits in the vehicle while you are hiking out more quarters. I don't see a problem with putting the meat in a garbage bag and setting it in a stream to keep it chilled.