Sinking meat in a creek to cool

AdamLewis

FNG
I have never used space saver or contractor bags, but I have used many gallon size ziplocks to sink organ meat in creeks, and it has always worked well.

JjamesIII

WKR
For solo elk hunting early season I’m planning to bring either contractor bags or ‘space saver’ bags so that after the meat has hung in game bags, dried and cooled, I can sink them into a creek or lake during the heat of day while I pack the rest out. (I’ll take them out at night and hang them dry them again so they don’t end up sitting in blood). My question is how much of a pain in the a$$ are contractor bags to sink and not puncture, and to anyone who’s used space savers; any issues with waterproof reliability/what’s the weight on “jumbo” or XLs?
Shade and air flow are your best bet. Plastic bags are usually not a good idea. I’ve never tried submersing meat in cool water.

If you have dry air and shade, you can pretty much keep meat good for as long as you need, especially once you get a good crust on it.

Saying that, I have sunk meat in a river before, in thick plastic contractor style bags. Only reason was because there was so much moisture in the air from being socked in from the rain that the only way to keep the meat from spoiling was to keep it as cold as we possibly could.

Was in the 70's here in Colorado yesterday at 10k ft where I was at.

If you are packing stuff out by yourself it can take a while, depending on where I could easily see spending 2 days doing it by yourself. Trips back and forth to the vehicle then the meat sits in the vehicle while you are hiking out more quarters. I don't see a problem with putting the meat in a garbage bag and setting it in a stream to keep it chilled.

What did it get down to at night? Keeping meat in the shade after hitting low temps in the 50's will keep it cool as well.

Poser

WKR
I’ve had contractor bags puncture in a river just from the current scooting the bag downstream an inch or so. Meat smelled fishy after being in the river. I washed it my real well and tasted fine but it initially had a strong river smell.

Isn't there pesticides in most / all trash or contractor bags? I would never put meat in them for this reason.

rayporter

WKR
do what ya gotta do!!!

many years i have put meat in ice water in a cooler with no problems.

a bud was caribou hunting and of 6 guys 5 lost all their meat but he saved his by sinking it in a lake.