spotting scope: leupold vs vortex

I think I am close to getting the ok from the boss to make a spotting scope purchase.

What do you guys think about the Leupold gold ring 12-40x60 vs the vortex razor 16-48x65?
Are the HD scopes really worth the extra money? If anybody has experience with both the straight and angled versions I would appreciate opinions on the eyepiece as well.
I am kind of leaning toward the American made leupold, even though the glass itself is from overseas.

Shrek

WKR
I had a straight and quickly learned to hate it. Put a crick in my neck in no time. If you want to glass up you have to raise it much higher and you have to line your head up with the target always. Once you learn to use an angled and to find things in one you can always set it where you have no tension in your neck. You rotate it so you face right to look left down and right to look left. At first it can be disorienting but once you get the hang of it it's easy. Glassing up is sooo much easier with an angled. Really all directions are easier as long as it has a ring on the body so the scope can spin around. A fixed base angled sucks though. It's hard to explain but once you do it you'll understand. I don't know anyone who spends a large amount of time behind a spotter who uses a straight spotter.

Shrek

WKR
I don't like my explanation but I'll try some more. With the angled you can orient the scope so you have to move very little and mostly keep a relaxed neck angle. With a straight you have to move your body and head angle to get them aligned and it will move you around and put lots of uncomfortable stress on your neck. With an angled you can rotate the scope and cover a large area with just a turn of the head and a small nod up or down.

OP
D
Your explanation makes perfect sense. Sounds like the rotating body is a must have. How about the fine adjustment feature on some models, is that really usefull or is it just a gimmick? My experience with a spotting scope is limited to a 10-20x40 leupold compact mounted on a monopod.

Shrek

WKR
yes it's useful but I've mostly used a meopta s2 and swarovski ats and atx with their larve focus rings which I liked better than the two stage focus on many scopes. II'm sure on some lower end scopes it's a gimmick because there's no fine focus to be had.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two focus wheels is really nice but I've never used a true top end scope. I also prefer angle scope but as shrek said it takes getting use to aiming it

boom

WKR
wow. a post i can help in!!

i used both scopes. both on the same hunt, one year after the next. same terrain, same game animal. this tiny effen rock gray deer in AZ that barely moves.

okay. i used the exact Leupold as you listed. it was a police scope we borrowed. back to back. my vortex 65mm HD glass is clearer. both got less bright as you zoomed but i think most scopes do this. the Vortex is more narrow so it is WAY easier to rapidly yank out of a scope pocket on my backpack.

now straight or angled. my friend has an angled, mine is straight. i have gotten to use my spotter as the game locator as well. meaning i sit behind it for long long periods. straight wins. you position the tripod right, lean into your pack a bit and you can stare for hours. it is exactly as comfy as using your binos this way, on a tripod. angled wins in one department for sure. you see a whopper deer, and tell your brother "i see one!" he says.."let me see!" if you have a straight scope, and your are sitting "within" the tripod legs this is a beotch. if you have an angled. you simply lean out of the way and let him have a peek. typically i climb high and look down into the valleys...a straight is nice for this. looking up into a mountain..angled wins!!

i also for reasons i cannot explain..i can find a distance object with a straight scope faster. i have to pan around more with an angled. the straight scope fits in my pack cleaner.

hope this helps.

OP
D
Great information. Sounds like the straight vs angled question comes down to personal preference or what a person has become accustomed to.

I went from straight to angled, and prefer angled for a few reasons,

- lower tripod helps in the wind
- Easier looking uphill
- I can pan well over 90 degrees without repositioning myself or the tripod, simply rotate the eyepiece in the ringmount.

Shane

fire652

WKR
It depends. If you are glassing with binoculars and the want to use the scope to field judge straight. If you are glassing long hours with scope then angled.

boom

WKR
Can't remember if the Leupolds have a fine focus knob. The vortex do.

My friend is in the Leupold family and I can get pretty good deals. I only own a couple scopes of theirs. Leupold's binos and spotters suck hind tit in my experience.
Oh and get a Kowa 660 angled

Terrapin

WKR
I really like my Leupold 12-40x60 spotting scope. It is light and bright. I also have a vortex 12-40x60 angled viper spotting scope. I much prefer the Leupold.