spotting scope: leupold vs vortex

If you wear eye glasses the eye relief is great on the Leupold. I prefered the HD over the regular Gold Ring and owned both. The HD was better at higher powers (>30x) to my eyes. I didn't think the Leupold Goldring 12-40x60 was available with an angled eyepiece? Anyway, I use an angled Swaro now as it is a bit better for aging and glassing in sheep country......(up and down).

OP
D
Called vortex customer support with some questions, including country of origin. I don't think I can bring myself to spend that kind of money on something made in China. I am taking a close look at the Kowa scope, those seem like a good scope for the money, and not made in China.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Someone in China is building all scope bodies and probably starts all glass blanks which is then finished in house. Go with makes you feel good. Kiowa is great great glass but body not made in China doubtful

OP
D
Kowa tech claims their scopes are made entirely in japan. Leuoold claims everything but the glass in their gold ring products is domestic, glass comes from Philippines or Germany. I don't know.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
A few years ago I sat at moose camp with the Leupold Gold Ring and my Pentax PF65 ED. I wasn't impressed with the Leupold. I liked my Pentax better optically. The one thing I remember about the Leupold is that the focus stunk and I was constantly messing with it trying to get things to focus properly. I'd throw out the Leupold as an option and place the Pentax in the running.

I also give a vote for angled.