Stone Glacier and Kifaru

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thx luke, in the 1/4 mile trip, how much weight you think you had in it?

It was a teeny tiny deer, so only 60-70 all up with gear and deer. Like I said hardly a real test by any means at all, but so far so good sort of test I guess.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
I have used it for a week of deer hunting, but I was day hunting and not really "backpack hunting" so can't comment too much and only had to carry a deer a 1/4 mile in it.. That said I think Kurt beat out atleast 95% of the hunting pack market with his first ever pack he's brought to market. Pretty damn impressive really. I'm surprised more Mystery Ranch NICE owners aren't giving these a try yet as the straight back profile felt pretty similar to me, but the waist belts rode differently. Overall great packs for sure and I wouldn't hesitate to suggest someone buy them at all in the limited use I had with it.

Former MR NICE frame guy...similar feel with a lighter frame and the advantage of having load lifters. I've put several miles on the terminus now in negative degree temps loaded to just over 100lbs. So far performance has been flawless. Mated mine with the SG gun sling and scope pocket. Additionally, I've got an SG Approach, which is Kurts new 1896 CI daypack in the mail. Approach rocks the same krux frame and meat shelf with a 1896 CI main bag and a built in spotting scope pocket.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Kurt was watching the thread, and gave me some tips on different ways to stabilize the gun in the carrier, including using the middle side compression strap to hold the rifle to the pack firmly. I much prefer the feel of the rifle rigged to the pack in this way, but it does negate the quick release feature of the rifle carrier.

In the video total pack weight was 46 pounds 6 ounces. The rifle was 7 pounds 8 ounces for a total of 53 pounds 14 ounces.

I am hoping to see the Kifaru soon, and I plan on getting some serious weight in the SG this weekend.

G Posik

WKR
Anyone else on here besides BB try or have the SG pack? Really interested in it, but there's not many individual comments floating around the net about the pack.

I have the solo. I have it loaded with 80 lbs of sand right now. It carries the weight very comfortable. The pack is the right size for me. I did add a couple long pockets to the outside to carry cretin items that will stay at camp. So I can detach them quickly and go hunt with the smaller pack. I have loaded it with all of my vamp/hunt gear and no problems with the fit. I will later load the camp/hunt gear and then throw the sand bags in the meat shelf. If it goes the way I think it will it will be very nice to pack out the amp and meat at the same time. I have not found anything I do not like about the pack. O might order a tremulas later for late season trips. I have packed everything for 10 days in the solo with no problems.

Glenn

Whisky

WKR
BB, with the compression straps do you see any issues with strapping both a bow and a spotter attached to a tripod on the back of the pack? Probably the bow on the back and the spotter and tripod off to one side?

Generally speaking, pro and cons between the two companies frame or stay designs? I understand the SG are basically straight frames, is that correct? I've seen at other places where some people point that out as a possible "problem area". Kifaru also offers "flat back" stays I see. So would they be similar in fit? I'm not known for my slim, curvy physique. Hard to know which suits me better. For me it will all come down to fit, but really there is only one way to figure that out. And it ain't cheap. It's nice to see both companies offer a 30 day refund!!

Thanks

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Whisky,

I can't make the comparisons yet, as I don't have the Kifaru.

I am as average an American Male you can get in build. I am 5-9, 175, 32 waist, 42 jacket. The frame is flat. It is not a problem for me so far.

I have the spotter pocket, and will also test that out this weekend, as well as strapping on the bow. I am just going to use the compression straps to hold the bow on.

I spoke to Kurt the other day and after talking to him went ahead and ordered the Terminus w/all the accessories. Suppose to be here Monday, hopefully it feels better than the TZ5000 I had to return.

I'm sure you won't have any problem with that! And your zippers won't break either!

Ranger619

WKR
Does anyone have pictures of the interior of the Stone Glacier pack and of the lid? I would like to see the pocket on the inside of the pack and the amount of storage in the lid. I kind of have OCD and am having trouble talking myself into the large bag like packs with no pockets/dividers. I have a Blue Widow now that I like, it just needs to go on little diet.
Thanks

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
ranger,

I am going to upload a little video about the basic pocket layout and accessories. I didn't quite get the load shelf video done yet.

Whisky

WKR
Looks good. Simple. I'm glad to see the two smaller compression straps on the bottom. My Blue Widow doesn't have that, and I miss that quite a bit. Did you load it up with a good load at all?

Thanks for the video.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good. Simple. I'm glad to see the two smaller compression straps on the bottom. My Blue Widow doesn't have that, and I miss that quite a bit. Did you load it up with a good load at all?

Thanks for the video.

I did, but horse feed started leaking out of the grain bag and getting everywhere. :) I am going to have to redo that one. No, I haven't made any conclusions about how it hauls the weight, but I did get it on my back with 110 pounds in it and it didn't fall apart.