Summer entertainment

Yesterday we cut out a collection of trails and abandoned FS roads. It's a 7-8 mile horseback exercise to open up access to a big blockof land we haven't been able to get into since the beetles killed all the older trees.

It was nice to see the development of new elk trails as they adapt to get around the miles of chest high dead trees.

It's getting hot and introducing my 10 year old grand son to sweating horses, hatching horse flys , tail swishing, foot stomping and tree rubbing was an interesting exercise.

This is about my third trail I have cut out this year with about 4-5 yet to go. Then I move 30 miles and start again. Wilderness ? Nope ! Just areas with seasonal road closures and very poor access.

Elk hunting is 5 weeks of recon on horseback. Preparing for elk hunting 15-20 days of sawing, horse wars, and tread work. If you really want an elk- you better plan on paying the price for it.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
When I use to work for my brother who is an outfitter we would start cutting trails in may/June before the forest service even picked up their saws. One trip we almost hit 150 trees cut. I understand your battle!! It sure feels nice riding in, and with every tree cut you pass, reflecting on the days you spent clearing it. I kinda miss those days, yet kinda not. 😂