To brake or not to brake... that is the question.

madgrad02

WKR
So with the final pieces to my semi-custom Tikka build en route and action should back from cerakoters this week after an interesting (albeit nail-biting) trip to addresses besides my own thanks to the USPS. I'm looking at starting assembly
next weekend hopefully. My question, running a 22" Proof prefit in 7mm mag... I have intentions of getting a can once I scrounge up more fundage (CFO doesn't give me my allowance as much as she used to), but with that time frame and wait, was tempted to get a brake in the interim (something of the Area 419 Sidewinder-variety). Can't decide if the brake is worth the extra cost when a can is likely in the future plans for this build, or just save money on brake and just get can quicker. Do many people shoot/practice with a can but not carry in the field? I get there is a POI shift and all with our without either mounted, was just curious. Thanks and grateful for all the info I've been able to get from here thusfar.

I bought a 419 Sidewinder for my 300 WM and it actually made it enjoyable to shoot. I would say similar recoil to a .243. While the noise behind the rifle is very tolerable, if you shoot at a busy range the people next to you will hate your guts. The side blast concussion is aweful. The sidewinder is $200, but it has a stellar reputation and they regularly resell used on eBay for $125-150. At the end of the day you could probably use it until you get your can and be down about $100. In my opinion, it’s worth the shooting comfort especially with a 7mm.

Choupique

WKR
No noise maximizer. Naked muzzle or supressor. Shoot enough to git good or get something easier on the shoulder.

Muzzle brakes are the devil