To brake or not to brake... that is the question.

madgrad02

WKR
So with the final pieces to my semi-custom Tikka build en route and action should back from cerakoters this week after an interesting (albeit nail-biting) trip to addresses besides my own thanks to the USPS. I'm looking at starting assembly
next weekend hopefully. My question, running a 22" Proof prefit in 7mm mag... I have intentions of getting a can once I scrounge up more fundage (CFO doesn't give me my allowance as much as she used to), but with that time frame and wait, was tempted to get a brake in the interim (something of the Area 419 Sidewinder-variety). Can't decide if the brake is worth the extra cost when a can is likely in the future plans for this build, or just save money on brake and just get can quicker. Do many people shoot/practice with a can but not carry in the field? I get there is a POI shift and all with our without either mounted, was just curious. Thanks and grateful for all the info I've been able to get from here thusfar.

I'd get a brake for the time being. Even if it's just for range use.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

packer58

WKR
So with the final pieces to my semi-custom Tikka build en route and action should back from cerakoters this week after an interesting (albeit nail-biting) trip to addresses besides my own thanks to the USPS. I'm looking at starting assembly
next weekend hopefully. My question, running a 22" Proof prefit in 7mm mag... I have intentions of getting a can once I scrounge up more fundage (CFO doesn't give me my allowance as much as she used to), but with that time frame and wait, was tempted to get a brake in the interim (something of the Area 419 Sidewinder-variety). Can't decide if the brake is worth the extra cost when a can is likely in the future plans for this build, or just save money on brake and just get can quicker. Do many people shoot/practice with a can but not carry in the field? I get there is a POI shift and all with our without either mounted, was just curious. Thanks and grateful for all the info I've been able to get from here thusfar.
The recoil of the 7 mm mag is very manageable, if funds are an issue at all i would save for the can.

I couldn’t imagine one on a 22” 7mag. You’d need double hearing protection and the concussion would still be horrid.
That thing will be in excess of 165db.

I’d recommend you save your ears and money for the can.

I don’t do brakes, it’s easier for me to handle the recoil than the noise. Keep saving your funds and get the suppressor when you’re ready

Same here. If you do decide to go with a brake in the interim, I would suggest a linear comp, or one that pushes the noise forward (such as the SME from Witt Machine). As others pointed out, the muzzle blast from a 22" RM will be plentiful, even more so with a brake.

I don’t do the suppressor thing…frankly I don’t get it. None of them are hearing safe, so if I have to wear hearing protection anyway, I’ll save some weight and go with a brake.

I don’t do the suppressor thing…frankly I don’t get it. None of them are hearing safe, so if I have to wear hearing protection anyway, I’ll save some weight and go with a brake.

And the extra length added to barrel in addition to the extra weight. On a 5 day hunt, lugging the extra weight and extra length around in the mountains for those days seems a pain. When you finally get to shoot one or two shots, I prefer to be wearing my ear plugs (electronic sound dampening), than lug all that extra weight around the mountains.
I do use a suppressor on my entry M4 5.56 (SRT duty). That is due to logistics of possible discharge of said weapon with other team members in the same room, or possible non combatants, but I can't compare the two very different and extreme situations. No can for the elk rifle.

f16jack

WKR
Not to brake ... that is the answer.

• At the range use a lead sled.
    • There is no recoil
    • You are merely sighting in your rifle with a few bullets
    • You will not deafen everyone else at the range
    • You will not blow everything off the two shooting benches next to you
  • If you are interested in becoming a better shooter then
    • Buy a scoped, bolt action .22
    • put 1000 rounds through it while working on trigger, breathing, etc
  • While hunting don't use a muzzle brake
    • Folks who hunt with muzzle brakes often don't take the time to put in earplugs, or are oblivious to folks next to them who don't have hearing protection
      • I was sitting in my truck looking at a deer at 800 yards once when another guy I didn't know pulled up on an ATV. We chatted for a bit.
      • The next thing that happened was that he sighted in on the deer and let a round fly. His muzzle brake was about 5' away from my ears, next to me.
      • This was one of the most irresponsible things that has harmed me while hunting. He didn't know and didn't care.
  • While hunting use a suppressor
    • Supressors happen to reduce some recoil, but that doesn't matter because when you shoot at an animal you feel no recoil anyway. It's there, but you don't care.
    • The reduced noise causes the animals in a herd to just mill around. They may move off, but don't really know where the sound came from. I've experienced this many times.
    • The lengthened barrel while hiking is just something you need an awareness of when you are hiking under branches and the rifle is slung over your shoulder
    • Just like non-suppressed rifles, I always hunt with a balloon over the end of the rifle to prevent snow, dirt, pine needles, etc from getting into the barrel. You just need a larger balloon for the suppressor
    • If folks shoot offhand when hunting they do it is because it is a quick shot that has to happen now. The extra weight at the end of the barrel for this brief moment is fully manageable.
    • Most of the time folks shoot on sticks, tripods, backpacks, etc. The extra weight on the end is not a factor.
  • As far as hearing damage, you still need to have earplugs. You will get less damage with suppressed sound, but it will still occur.
    • a standard suppressor like the SilencerCo Harvester EVO put at ear sound at about 136 dB for a 300 Win Mag.
      • db is a logrithmic scale. 130 dB is 10 times the loudness of 120 dB, 100 times louder than 110 dB.
      • at 110 dB hearing loss is possilble with less than 2 minutes exposure
      • at 100 to 1000 times this noise hearing loss can be instantaneous.
Hunt 5.jpg

we "can" do it.​

SDHNTR

WKR
Not to brake ... that is the answer.

• At the range use a lead sled.
    • There is no recoil
    • You are merely sighting in your rifle with a few bullets
    • You will not deafen everyone else at the range
    • You will not blow everything off the two shooting benches next to you
  • If you are interested in becoming a better shooter then
    • Buy a scoped, bolt action .22
    • put 1000 rounds through it while working on trigger, breathing, etc
  • While hunting don't use a muzzle brake
    • Folks who hunt with muzzle brakes often don't take the time to put in earplugs, or are oblivious to folks next to them who don't have hearing protection
      • I was sitting in my truck looking at a deer at 800 yards once when another guy I didn't know pulled up on an ATV. We chatted for a bit.
      • The next thing that happened was that he sighted in on the deer and let a round fly. His muzzle brake was about 5' away from my ears, next to me.
      • This was one of the most irresponsible things that has harmed me while hunting. He didn't know and didn't care.
  • While hunting use a suppressor
    • Supressors happen to reduce some recoil, but that doesn't matter because when you shoot at an animal you feel no recoil anyway. It's there, but you don't care.
    • The reduced noise causes the animals in a herd to just mill around. They may move off, but don't really know where the sound came from. I've experienced this many times.
    • The lengthened barrel while hiking is just something you need an awareness of when you are hiking under branches and the rifle is slung over your shoulder
    • Just like non-suppressed rifles, I always hunt with a balloon over the end of the rifle to prevent snow, dirt, pine needles, etc from getting into the barrel. You just need a larger balloon for the suppressor
    • If folks shoot offhand when hunting they do it is because it is a quick shot that has to happen now. The extra weight at the end of the barrel for this brief moment is fully manageable.
    • Most of the time folks shoot on sticks, tripods, backpacks, etc. The extra weight on the end is not a factor.
  • As far as hearing damage, you still need to have earplugs. You will get less damage with suppressed sound, but it will still occur.
    • a standard suppressor like the SilencerCo Harvester EVO put at ear sound at about 136 dB for a 300 Win Mag.
      • db is a logrithmic scale. 130 dB is 10 times the loudness of 120 dB, 100 times louder than 110 dB.
      • at 110 dB hearing loss is possilble with less than 2 minutes exposure
      • at 100 to 1000 times this noise hearing loss can be instantaneous.
View attachment 525858

we "can" do it.​
Do not use a Lead Sled if you value your rifle stock and scope.

f16jack

WKR
Do not use a Lead Sled if you value your rifle stock and scope.
That's another thread that could be run. How much weight on a lead sled to simulate only your shoulder, how far back to allow the lead sled to shift when firing, etc.
I agree. If I bolted my rifle to the bench it would harm the rifle.

SDHNTR

WKR
That's another thread that could be run. How much weight on a lead sled to simulate only your shoulder, how far back to allow the lead sled to shift when firing, etc.
I agree. If I bolted my rifle to the bench it would harm the rifle.
Zero. IMO. Toss the lead sled in the dumpster. Shoot off bags and use a Limbsaver or Past shoulder pad at the range.

f16jack

WKR
sounds
Zero. IMO. Toss the lead sled in the dumpster. Shoot off bags and use a Limbsaver or Past shoulder pad at the range.
Sounds great. But back to the original thread - should he have a muzzle brake on while he is there?