Trespassing? Worth shooting a snowboarder?

MattB

WKR
It's a bit extreme, but why should a man get in trouble for carrying a rifle on his own property? He didn't point it at anyone or do anything that can be considered brandishing.
Just an old hag sick and tired of people skiing/snowboarding through his property.
$100 says that snowboarder will never go on that guys property again.
In the video it looks like he pointed the gun at the snowboarder, which is brandishing. No point in that for a simple trespass.

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I will bite...

Don't trespass... Its pretty simple, know where you are.

I have a large pond on my property, live in the country, the backside of the pond is a berm and is my shooting range. You can see the pond from the road (trespass signs posted). I was out shooting last weekend and a family comes walking across the top of the berm. When confronted, "Oh we saw the pond from the road and thought we would check it out".

Not sure how anyone can say that it is OK to trespass. It is not ok to violate or encroach on others property. Pretty simple.

Lastly, as hunters I figure we all should be aware of property law, trespassing, and boundaries...

Last edited:

Kal-Elk

Lil-Rokslider
"Appropriate response" is what I figure the working theory should be.

Is the appropriate response to someone cutting you in line at the store is to pull a shotgun out and confront the individual? If someone walks by your home, lets their dog crap on your lawn, and continues walking away, is pulling a shotgun out and confronting the individual the appropriate response? If a bunch of brats are snowboarding through your property, is confronting them with a shotgun the appropriate response?

How many armed, dangerous snowboarders are out there that you feel a legitimate need to begin the situation with brandishing a shotgun and threatening to put "holes in you." And then to further escalate the situation by putting your hands on and shoving the other party.

Even if you're 110% right about the root situation, which I think the landowner was, the decision to lie in wait with a firearm, immediately start escalating the situation with threats and physical contact, can't be described as anything other than exceedingly stupid.

7mm-08

WKR
A firearm in the hands of a person whose emotions are running high or have gotten out of control is a recipe for disaster. I fully understand that this kind of stuff can be frustrating, but its never worth someone's life and it is certainly never worth jeopardizing your future.

11boo

WKR
Another thought, how many times previously has he been flipped off or told to FO by trespassers. I doubt this was the first time. Extreme measure for sure. I would’ve thought just the pants would scare off a trespasser.

t_carlson

WKR
I've skied by houses before that are built next to resorts.

If you want to act like a grumpy old hermit, buy a place that is out in the middle of grumpy hermit land where nobody will bother you. Seems like it would be easier for everyone, including the grumpy hermit.

Should anyone trespass? No. But this seems a lot like when people move out of town and get upset when a coyote comes on the porch and eats their cat. It is going to happen, no matter how much you don't want it to. Grabbing a gun and confronting people will eventually result in someone getting shot and you going to jail.

Fact.

So why put yourself in that situation???

I've skied by houses before that are built next to resorts.

If you want to act like a grumpy old hermit, buy a place that is out in the middle of grumpy hermit land where nobody will bother you. Seems like it would be easier for everyone, including the grumpy hermit.

Should anyone trespass? No. But this seems a lot like when people move out of town and get upset when a coyote comes on the porch and eats their cat. It is going to happen, no matter how much you don't want it to. Grabbing a gun and confronting people will eventually result in someone getting shot and you going to jail.

Fact.

So why put yourself in that situation???
Maybe he has owned the property since before the resort was there?

Wiki says Brighton was started in 1936...
He looked like Mr Burns from the Simpsons. And it could be passed on from previous generations. Not to say that his actions are or are not warranted. I don’t know the background behind the story. Maybe the dude (snowboarder) was already warned multiple times?

wmr89

Lil-Rokslider
Don't trespass... Its pretty simple, know where you are.

"According to Brighton Mayor Dan Knopp, the property the group was staying at has no way out other than to cross someone else's property."

It may not be that simple, it seems like a problem the city was familiar and probably should have remedied before any of this happened.

t_carlson

WKR
Maybe he has owned the property since before the resort was there?

Maybe, but that doesn't change the reality of the situation.

Cash out at the inflated prices and avoid the legal trouble. Or just don't instigate it in the first place if you want to stay. A third option would be fencing your property off.

But running around like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino and sticking a gun in everyone's face will eventually land you in trouble. Either you'll lose your cool, someone else will be packing iron, or you'll tangle with someone who is younger, tougher, and not afraid. None of those options are healthy in the long run.

"Progress" doesn't care if it was your grandaddy's land, and the machine will win in the end. You can fight it and fail or go with the flow and and enjoy the rest of your life on a quiet piece of real estate, far from the idiots and commotion. I'm not speaking theoretically here. I was born in the 80's in Whitefish, Montana and have seen a lot of things change. I'm not happy about it, but I'm willing to recognize I, as one individual human being, can't stop it. You can either be angry all the time or extract yourself from the situation. Your choice.

I remember a scene from No Country for Old Men when Ed Tom asks Willis if he ever thinks about getting revenge on the man who shot and paralyzed him. Willis answered something to the effect that when you spend your life trying to get back what is already lost, you're letting what you have left slip away.

sndmn11

WKR
Some of you are ripping on snowboarders but that dude seemed really polite! Meanwhile the landowner guy was clearly the wannabe gangsta in this scenario, getting in people's faces while wearing those baggy ass pants.
Please describe how Sasquatch handled you trespassing onto his property, and how your demeanor was communicated to afford a non-violent interaction..

Maybe, but that doesn't change the reality of the situation.

Cash out at the inflated prices and avoid the legal trouble. Or just don't instigate it in the first place if you want to stay. A third option would be fencing your property off.

But running around like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino and sticking a gun in everyone's face will eventually land you in trouble. Either you'll lose your cool, someone else will be packing iron, or you'll tangle with someone who is younger, tougher, and not afraid. None of those options are healthy in the long run.

"Progress" doesn't care if it was your grandaddy's land, and the machine will win in the end. You can fight it and fail or go with the flow and and enjoy the rest of your life on a quiet piece of real estate, far from the idiots and commotion. I'm not speaking theoretically here. I was born in the 80's in Whitefish, Montana and have seen a lot of things change. I'm not happy about it, but I'm willing to recognize I, as one individual human being, can't stop it. You can either be angry all the time or extract yourself from the situation. Your choice.

I remember a scene from No Country for Old Men when Ed Tom asks Willis if he ever thinks about getting revenge on the man who shot and paralyzed him. Willis answered something to the effect that when you spend your life trying to get back what is already lost, you're letting what you have left slip away.
I don’t disagree. Was just pointing out that we don’t know the old fella’s motives.

He should definitely put up a fence. If that don’t work, maybe some bear fall traps!

TSAMP

WKR
Actually watched the video. Snowboarder 100% knew he was in the wrong. Why else would you instantly go to “sorry?” He said it before the dude even said anything.

The other guy had a chair out and was most likely sitting in it waiting for someone. Seems weird to me to waste time sitting there waiting for someone to trespass but I have a life so who knows?
I thought the same. Clearly it's a common occurrence and he's tired of it so he setup shop with his chair.

The other guy had a chair out and was most likely sitting in it waiting for someone. Seems weird to me to waste time sitting there waiting for someone to trespass but I have a life so who knows?
IMG_6047.png
Maybe he was sitting there browsing RS trying to get his post count up lol

the keyboard warriors, don't even know what a pair of wool pants looks like.
but anyway, trespassing must be a common occurence to be waiting for some one to trespass.
I had to confront a trespasser last year who was packing, so you never know.