Trespassing? Worth shooting a snowboarder?

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the "seems fake" crowd, especially how calmly a nonchalantly the guy unstraps his board and walks off when the dude has a gun.

I agree that it seems staged. I've skied and snowboarded a countless number of times, and have only seen someone anyone actually filming themselves like that once or twice outside of instagram posts. And the odds of coming around the corner to see someone holding a gun while you're filming it? No way it's real.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
What is this? Nannyslide?

Dudes on his property confronting trespassers. Apparently this spot was posted online and a bunch of snowboarders bombarded his snowcat driveway. They cut the boundary ropes from the resort to get here.

Please describe how Sasquatch handled you trespassing onto his property, and how your demeanor was communicated to afford a non-violent interaction..
Technically I'm a public land owner, so Sasquatch was trespassing on my property. But maybe he had squatters rights? I didn't think to ask him if he had continuously occupied the same piece of Colorado forest for 18 years or more.

Warmsy

WKR
Perhaps the old man was in the wrong, legally, for some of his actions. But he's leading the charge. He didn't shoot anyone. He aired his disdain vocally and physically on his own property.

Y'all never knowingly trespassed as a young delinquent and ended up with a gun in your face? Never accidentally trespassed and met with what you felt was undue hostility? All three of his friends at the road suggested they had the same thing happen to them, and there's a bunch of trucks parked there. Old man was fed up.

Being a law-abiding citizen, trying to be the best person I can while trying to feign conformity in this society, I applaud the cranky old **** that gets Western, so to speak.

I think landowners have gotten a bit ridiculous with their fervor to defend their land. Defend from what? If people are harmlessly passing through and not causing damage I think there is room for tolerance.

I can see why an old man would want to be armed when confronting a trespasser. He knows that the trespasser is younger and could take him down without a weapon and he has no way to know if the trespasser is going to get aggressive. However, the landowner clearly came out as an aggressor. All he needed to do was politely point out that the snowboarder was trespassing and let the gun be seen.

The presence of the chair does suggest that he was waiting; probably because this is a chronic problem. He might have been nice to the first dozen trespassers and lost his patience. The problem is if he doesn't post his property he is setting himself up for further frustration.

The snowboarder handled it well but this should be a lesson for that user group to do a better job of knowing where they are.

Both are in the wrong but I place 90% of the blame on the landowner in this scenario.

svivian

WKR
Remember build your fences tall so they can see your no trespassing signs :D
Definitely uncalled for and I bet the land owner regrets this. In Utah the vast majority of the land is public in many areas. As a result, it's up to the land owners to mark their property to make it known that people are trespassing, with signs, fences, etc. If you are found to be on someones land, like what I presume is the case here, the landowner can request that you leave, but there isn't any "trespass" to cite.

I think landowners have gotten a bit ridiculous with their fervor to defend their land. Defend from what? If people are harmlessly passing through and not causing damage I think there is room for tolerance.

I can see why an old man would want to be armed when confronting a trespasser. He knows that the trespasser is younger and could take him down without a weapon and he has no way to know if the trespasser is going to get aggressive. However, the landowner clearly came out as an aggressor. All he needed to do was politely point out that the snowboarder was trespassing and let the gun be seen.

The presence of the chair does suggest that he was waiting; probably because this is a chronic problem. He might have been nice to the first dozen trespassers and lost his patience. The problem is if he doesn't post his property he is setting himself up for further frustration.

The snowboarder handled it well but this should be a lesson for that user group to do a better job of knowing where they are.

Both are in the wrong but I place 90% of the blame on the landowner in this scenario.
FE94EC0F-7BDC-456D-9C8F-A90999374B57.jpeg

Pretty sad reading some of the posts.

He should move if he doesnt like folks trespassing..really? Wtf?

And how dare a landowner have an opinion on who can go on his land. Not like he bought the dirt or pays the taxes on it every year....oh wait, he did..

Yall got a spare car, if I hop in without asking an take it for half the day is that alright? I wont crash it, cost a hell if alot less than property does. Whats the harm right? You are a selfish asshole if you say no.....

I bet if a bum set up a tent in your front yard, most folks on here would have the cops there asap.

MattB

WKR
Pretty sad reading some of the posts.

He should move if he doesnt like folks trespassing..really? Wtf?

And how dare a landowner have an opinion on who can go on his land. Not like he bought the dirt or pays the taxes on it every year....oh wait, he did..

Yall got a spare car, if I hop in without asking an take it for half the day is that alright? I wont crash it, cost a hell if alot less than property does. Whats the harm right? You are a selfish asshole if you say no.....

I bet if a bum set up a tent in your front yard, most folks on here would have the cops there asap.
Call the cops? What a novel idea - and one this guy should have considered before waiving a gun in a trespasser’s face.