Trying for OTC Co Elk, what GMU

KC1

FNG
Trying to get in before the deadline for elk in Colorado. We have no idea what we're doing. We have the small game license and Habitat stamp in our cart. Do we then just pick a GMU and enter this in? Anyone have any idea what GMU's are best for DIY? When we apply for an area, and we're not accepted, do we still have a chance to purchase OTC? We don't have any preference points currently. So confused...

319a3da0-65d2-47ba-a45b-50553bec88e3_text.gif

You're unlikely to get any GMU recommendations on this forum (especially not a day before the application deadline). My advice is to apply for a preference point now (put hunt code E-P-999-99-P as your first choice) then do some research about Colorado. Start by reading the big game brochure to gain an understanding of how the system works. Then start trying to identify units to potentially hunt.

Last edited:

Jethro

WKR
You're unlikely to get any GMU recommendations on this forum (especially not 18 hours before the application deadline). My advice is to apply for a preference point now (put hunt code E-P-999-99-P as your first choice) then do some research about Colorado. Start by reading the big game brochure to gain an understanding of how the system works. Then start trying to identify units to potentially hunt.
^^Sound advice^^

Start by reading the big game brochure. That part was worth repeating.

Maverick1

WKR
Trying to get in before the deadline for elk in Colorado. We have no idea what we're doing. We have the small game license and Habitat stamp in our cart. Do we then just pick a GMU and enter this in? Anyone have any idea what GMU's are best for DIY? When we apply for an area, and we're not accepted, do we still have a chance to purchase OTC? We don't have any preference points currently. So confused...
We don’t talk about units. Per the Rokslide forum rules.

Sounds like Colorado is going to appreciate your free donation no matter what ;)
Nobody is going to tell you where to go, and this post will be deleted or locked per the forum rules.
Above advice is excellent; the way to know where to go, is to go there. Better yet...save for a few years and pay to hunt a ranch with a guide.

dlee56

WKR
Just get yourself a preference point with the code listed above.

All OTC tags go on sale in August, you can’t apply for an OTC tag, this deadline is for draw tags only. Anyone can buy and OTC tag once they go up for sale, unless you’ve already drawn an A list tag in the draw.
Also OTC tags are not GMU specific, you can hunt any OTC GMU with an OTC tag. If you want to hunt OTC you don’t have to worry about doing anything until they go on sale later this year.

OP
KC1

KC1

FNG
Thanks for the help. I guess I'm slower then the average bear. We were just in Colorado, got the 2024 big game book, read thru it cover to cover but were still quite confused. I'll definitely never post again without reading the forum rules, certainly 'bush league'.

OP
KC1

KC1

FNG
Just get yourself a preference point with the code listed above.

All OTC tags go on sale in August, you can’t apply for an OTC tag, this deadline is for draw tags only. Anyone can buy and OTC tag once they go up for sale, unless you’ve already drawn an A list tag in the draw.
Also OTC tags are not GMU specific, you can hunt any OTC GMU with an OTC tag. If you want to hunt OTC you don’t have to worry about doing anything until they go on sale later this year.
Thank you as well, very helpful.

KHNC

WKR
Sounds like Colorado is going to appreciate your free donation no matter what ;)
Nobody is going to tell you where to go, and this post will be deleted or locked per the forum rules.
Above advice is excellent; the way to know where to go, is to go there. Better yet...save for a few years and pay to hunt a ranch with a guide.
Not true, Someone may tell him where to go, but they will probably get a free vacation from rokslide by doing so. :)

Ucsdryder

WKR
I wonder what the chances are someone will read this and buy an OTC tag, drive over to 201 and kill a bull and go home never being stopped by a warden.
I got checked more by wardens last year than the rest of my hunting career combined. 3 times in 1 day at one spot. He even asked to see my suppressor paperwork. Then said this says 30 caliber, and you said your rifle was a 7 caliber. 🤦🏻‍♂️

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
I got checked more by wardens last year than the rest of my hunting career combined. 3 times in 1 day at one spot. He even asked to see my suppressor paperwork. Then said this says 30 caliber, and you said your rifle was a 7 caliber. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Had the same happen down here on my end ...Omega 300 silencer on a 223, they just couldn't understand and cost me almost 3 hours of waiting so the could call 1/2 dozen people.

Wheels

WKR
I wonder what the chances are someone will read this and buy an OTC tag, drive over to 201 and kill a bull and go home never being stopped by a warden.
I spend the entire month of September a couple years ago in an adjacent unit to 201 and never saw a warden. Could have easily shot a bull and gone home but was deer hunting. I went days without seeing a person on that trip.