WTS Well...I got scammed

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
UPDATE:
I talked to the Brewer Police Officer this morning.

Kenneth Dorr Sr. is the old man living at 65 South Brewer Drive with his wife.

Kenneth Dorr Sr. has a son, named Kenneth Dorr Jr.

Kenneth Dorr Jr. is a convicted felon.

When the Brewer Police Officer initially went to the 65 South Brewer Drive address, on 10 March, both Kenneth Dorr Sr. and Kenneth Dorr Jr. were at the house. Both men denied knowledge of the situation involving the scam.

On the morning of 11 March, Kenneth Dorr Sr. contacted the Brewer Police Officer and informed the officer that a check in the amount of $1230 from USAA had been deposited into his account last week on 4 March. This is the check that I sent "Kenneth Dorr". Kenneth Dorr Sr. actually went to the bank on 11 March and got a copy of the check that was deposited and provided it to the Brewer Police Officer. He also informed the officer that he would withdraw the money and send it back to me. For now, the officer asked him to wait until he verified all of my information with the police report that I filed in my town.

I talked to the Brewer Police Officer this morning, 11 March, and he provided all of this information to me. At this point, I am waiting for the Brewer PD to talk to my local PD, square everything away, and move forward. It looks like I will get my money back (no guarantee, but a good chance) and that the Police Department is going to try to put together enough evidence to find the actual perpetrator. Part of this evidence will be trying to pinpoint the scammer using IP addresses.

I think it's the son...you'd have to provide strong evidence for me to believe otherwise at this point. Thanks for all of the encouragement and support through this. I will continue to provide updates until this is settled. I would also be more than willing to speak with anyone directly who may have been scammed by this guy. Two other users on here have already reached out to me that were scammed by this guy.
This is awesome news! glad to hear your getting your money back!

KsRancher

WKR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not work all the time. But I bought some ammo a while back. They wanted me to send a USPS money order. So looked up the address on ONX. The residence matched the name he told me. So I felt good about it.

OP
North Woods

North Woods

FNG
Classified Approved
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got contacted by him over on 24 hour CF. He's going by the name of vortexprey.
Did he give you the same address? Let's setup a sting with the Brewer PD...this would be great

Bljc34

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen that vortexprey was selling an item over there and asked him where he was located. He hasn’t responded yet.
The funny thing is the picture is a different model number than the description that he’s selling.

OP
North Woods

North Woods

FNG
Classified Approved
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen that vortexprey was selling an item over there and asked him where he was located. He hasn’t responded yet.
The funny thing is the picture is a different model number than the description that he’s selling.
Man, if he responds with the address in brewer you should hit up the admins of that site.

Bljc34

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely will. But, if you guys think we can get the sting on him, I’m willing to help any way that I can.

OP
North Woods

North Woods

FNG
Classified Approved
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely will. But, if you guys think we can get the sting on him, I’m willing to help any way that I can.
I would say that if he responds with the same address, that it would be worth calling the Brewer PD and talking to them. I'd participate....give the name of the Officer that helped me out, etc.

Rich M

WKR
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can post the information he gave me. At this point though, I'd be willing to bet that it's not "his" information, you know?

I figured that my bank would somehow be able to see where the check was cashed, and I could someone use that information to track the guy down. My bank isn't able to see that information apparently.

I'll probably talk to the police and see what they say. I have the address I sent the check to, but it could have been a dead guys address (like mail-in ballots) for all I know.
CANCEL THE CHECK

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
On somewhat of a related note, I've been thinking for some time of what it would take to set up an 'escrow' service business. Somewhere a buyer could send the funds and the seller send the merchandise and the 'escrow' agent would then process the transaction. I know it would require some type of inventory management system, bonding, etc., but the bigger question is: what would folks be likely to pay for that service and could it be profitable? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Nothing. Shipping costs would be double and at that point might as well buy néw.

OP
North Woods

North Woods

FNG
Classified Approved
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CANCEL THE CHECK
Thanks for the advice, Rich. He cashed it before I figured all of this out. Go back a page and you'll find that this is being solved with the help of law enforcement.

Rich M

WKR
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thanks for the advice, Rich. He cashed it before I figured all of this out. Go back a page and you'll find that this is being solved with the help of law enforcement.
Good deal - I didn't get too far into the thread and wanted to just scream it out in case you could.

Hate a thief.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This is precisely why I only remit using methods that provide consumer protection like Paypal (not F&F) and also why I requested Rokslide create a user rating system...which we now have. Use it! It is vital everyone rate the buyers & sellers here so we can be on guard for the asshats. Never trust someone who has no history and wants a form of payment that leaves you open to fraud.

OP
North Woods

North Woods

FNG
Classified Approved
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is precisely why I only remit using methods that provide consumer protection like Paypal and also why I requested Rokslide create a user rating system...which we now have. Use it! It is vital everyone rate the buyers & sellers here so we can be on guard for the asshats. Never trust someone who has no history and wants a form of payment that leaves you open to fraud.
All good advice. Paypal is a no-go for guns. This guy had feedback, although it turned out to be fake. Sorry I wasn't able to catch that up front. Trust me, lesson learned here. I'm ecstatic that the PD was able to track this down as far as they did. I will certainly act different going forward.

stevevan

WKR
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Not the way to do it. Buyer sends money to escrow service. Seller sends rifle to buyer. Escrow sends money to seller. Easy peasy.
Yup, vortexprey on 24 hour CF is the same guy. Same address, same name (Kenneth Dorr). Maybe some members in the area should take to the wood shed for a lesson.