What am I getting into?

burgerta

FNG
I need some help,
Some of my greatest joys in hunting come from the feeling of isolation while in some remote backcountry where its nobody but myself in some piece of uncharted wilderness chasing some critter.
I try to get myself into a hunting adventure really deep into the backcountry every season just to challenge myself on mother natures terms. Usually I do most of the research on choosing a destination for my adventures.
2012 it was a remote Fly-in Moose float hunt in Alaska's Interior
2013 it was a horseback archery elk hunt in Montana's Centennial Mts
2014 it was a solo packraft hunt in Alaska's Brooks range.

For 2015 I put my adventure plans in the hands of a group of friends who want to chase Elk in NW Colorado. So I drew a Cow Elk tag and a Mule deer tag for Unit 4 area to hunt the 2nd rifle season. Now as I do a little research I am struggling to find any drainages in the Routt NF or BLM Lands that I will be able to get away from hunting pressure.
I can hike pretty well and I pack pretty light...

Am I going to be able to isolate myself from the crowds for 4 or 5 days during second rifle anywhere in that area?

Haha there is a large group of about 8 of us going total in my group. There are several different strategies involved among the group. I have no problems going solo or with a partner...Just wondering if there is ground out there that has opportunity for little or no pressure or is every drainage covered by horses and other hikers?

Someone will chime in that knows the area. I just wanted to get all the facts in for those that answer.

I have always banked on finding areas that are distant from trails and roads then just hike farther than the road hunters but as I look at this area it appears that 5 miles in any direction from any point in the NF is going to cross another trail. So it looks like anyone can access just about any area...

if you can't get away with simply distance then focus on steep nasty terrain. There are spots right next to roads that people won't hunt.

hope you enjoy one of colorados most populated hunted areas. Not going to lie here but it does get pounded, and with all the hype of going in deeper/further than the rest of the crowd there is a good chance you will be seeing even more people further off the roads and trails. Not trying to bust the bubble you planning on riding in on but that's pretty much the norm for most of nw Colorado the last couple years

Back