What Arrow weight and speeds are you all getting...future elk setup maybe

Luked

WKR
right now I shoot a 2016 Obsession DefCon 6 its a 360IBO bow and I'm shooting a pretty heavy arrow right at 500 grain. I like how the bow shoots and I shoot it well but its a little louder noise wise than I would prefer. I Whitetail hunt here and like a quiet bow for that. I haven't ever had any bad experience with the bow on a hunt but have been getting the itch for something else.
looking at possibly a Prime or an Elite as I have had good luck with them in the past.
so for your alls elk setups what arrow weight and speeds do you all prefer?
I also want to go back to shooting a fixed BH like a Slick Trick where my bow would never shoot them well due to the speeds its pushing even with a heavy arrow slowing it down. I just never could get them to tune well from it so I have been shooting Mechanicals for a couple of years.
just looking for some ideas on weather to try and slow this thing down some more by adding more arrow weight which would quite the bow down or just get something else with a slower IBO to start with

Beendare

WKR
I don't know that exact bow but from your post comments, i think there might be a couple things going on. I think I would spend more time with the bow you have now................tweaking it to perfection.

Typically, in all of the bow/arrow setups I've owned, when the bow is tuned...its not only a little smoother but also quieter.

Personally, i like that 500-ish gr range. Its a good compromise for a hard hitting arrow and good trajectory for western hunting. I think 450-550gr is about perfect for a compound on most western hunts....bumping up arrow weight in my stickbows.

I don't like the short chisel point heads myself....but thats a different discussion.

Swift

Lil-Rokslider
A 500 gr arrow at around 280 ft./s is a deadly combination for any western game
Most all of your modern Cam and a half or two cam bows at 70 pounds will come close to yielding these results

I have silencing dampeners all over my Full Throttle. When you have a speed bow they naturally louder and take some extra care.
Heavier arrows- cause you can and it helps reduce noise.
My string stop is about a paper thickness from the string, which isn't enough to really see a gap, yet you can tell that it isn't tight on the string.

I put small string silencers on my buss and cable. I also put one on my cable slide and obviously on my strings.
I make sure my timing is right on or even maybe with the top cam hitting a 1/16" to 1/8" before the bottom cam.

It is important to make sure all your accessories are tight and not rattling as well. Tight Spot quivers can make noise- I secure the hood with 3M Tape.
The sights (don't use CBE) need to have all screws/bolts tight.
The rest is usually ok, but I continue to check everything as well as riser and limb bolts.

These speed bows pound the set up and require spot checking.

I shoot a F/Throttle (372 fps) 480 Gr arrow with fixed blade at about 290 or so. Its a 250 spine BEA. My draw is 28.38 with a index and 28.5 with a hinge.
I can get my field tips pretty close to my BH with Montec 125 gr. Pretty sure my FOC is around 16-18%

Yesterday I restrung it, paper tuned and then sighted in my 30-70 yard pins, then walk back tuned at 3 yards and 50 yards.

OP you might want, to "look" at your VANES ! Small, "Blazer type" vanes with, a lot of Helical, make,.. a LOT of noise !
You might try 3 inch V Max's by VaneTec with, a 2 to 3 degree Helical. I use 3 of them per arrow, on my 55 pound Bow, 458 grain arrow, at 250 FPS, my son uses 4 on his 505 grain Arrow at, 68 pounds and 285 FPS. Quiet, accurate and,.. deadly ! We have found, G5 Strikers, Exodus and Slick trick standards with, about 15% of FOC, "work" very well and shoot, exactly "with" our Field points. We are using, older 2014-2015 PSE Bows, the Decree and DNA SP, they are fast enough and quiet ! Good Luck !

Last edited:
OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I have been using 3" vanetec fletchings for a couple of years. got away from the Blazer and Max hunters a while back because of the noise.

I like the 500+ grain arrow weight as it carries a lot of KE and momentum also. I have quite a bit of silencing goods on it now but might just have to play with it some more to see what I can do with it. the bow shoots great and is a smooth drawing bow for the speed it has I just don't care much for the noise. thought also about going up in point weight a tad and going to 125gr heads instead of the 100s I have now. would gain me a little more weight and might help some.

I shoot 658 grains with a grizzly two blade single bevel at 180 fps.
Three five inch parabolic lw feathers.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I have a DC 6 as well. I shoot between 480-505 (100 gr for turkey, 125 for anything else) and after I restrung to hogwire and had it re-tuned it is very very quiet. I can't remember exact speeds but it's enough. Between 275-290. It's very easy for that bow to need a new shim from string stretch. Especially if you're still running stockers. I've tried ramcat 100 and 125 as well as shwackers, no discernible difference in tune.