What gaiters does everyone prefer to use?

Specialk

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had most of the brands listed already but swear by OR crocs now, and have had the same pair for years. They get tested/abused in the roughest terrain when chukar hunting. They will last longer and perform better than any other gaiter. The only downside is they are a touch noisy...but if you’re wearing them, that means there’s snow, which is noisy. I tore a hole in the kuiu’s, the very first trip I had them, when I grazed a rock hiking.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Kenetreks, brown. Easy on / off. Stay dry inside, hold up great. Had the cameo, picked up every seed due to fuzzy exterior. Brown keeps it simple.

jmav58

WKR
I bought a pair of Outdoor Vision gaiters to replace an old pair from Cabela's that I lost. Seem well made but I haven't used them enough to recommend. I liked the color better than the OR and didn't want camo, so I thought I would give these a try.

View attachment 99299
Have you had a chance to use these very much? I've got the kryptek ones and they're good but they're really loud and I'm hoping these are fairly quiet.

For wet/snowy country then Outdoor Research. For thorny brush country i wear Turtleskin snake gaiters. they breathe better than any of the neoprene backed snake gaiters and are just as comfortable as the canvas brush gaiters i have used in the past.

Pre1032

FNG
I own OR Rocky high and OR crocs. Both are nearly indestructible, even with regular crampon use. If I had to choose I'd say the crocs. They shed water/snow better, more durable and stay on the legs better. OR has been in my pack for 10+years.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I have a pair of basic OR goretex black gaiters, worked fine for me, never leaked through.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Never used gaiters before are they really worth having? I've always been curious

If you hunt in rain and wet brush and like dry feet, gaiters are the way to go. I have great waterproof boots but water soaks you pants, then socks and it drains down into the boots. With gaiters I stay bone dry

Have Sitka thunderheads and they are alright but they don’t fit that great (hate the draw string on the top, would rather a cinch strap) and extremely hot during warmer early season hunts. Prefer the kuiu Yukon’s over the Sitka's

Got a pair of Outdoor Vision to try out. The mediums fit my 11.5 size boots just fine. Should be great for early season stuff. Very quiet and a solid design. I’m curious to see how they do later in the season.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the Kenetreks. I have both the camo and the loden. The camo makes less noise but if your walking in any green briers or burrs they snag and pick up the burrs. For that reason I like the Lodens for most hunts. Kenetreks are the only gaiter that ever comfortably fit my large calves.
But to be fair Up to the Kenetreks I tried cheaper types like cabelas.
Currently I wouldn't have any reason to change.

SniperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Knee-length light Gore-Tex, with waterproof section around the shoe.
Yes, this is one of those places where I think GTX does work.
I doubt you will have any wear problems even with quite light GTX. Our snow gaiters are years old and just fine.

Throw in my two cents for the KUIU Yukons. A little tricky to put on IMHO but get's a lot easier with repetition and quality can't be beat. I was especially impressed with how they performed when crossing streams and creeks - water nearly up to my knees and my boots stayed bone dry inside.

For me, good gear, is about going farther without worry all while maintaining comfort. When I have these on I don't have to look for an easier crossing and just plow right through knowing I won't be worse off on the other side.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Just finished 5 days in Colorado backcountry. Very remote. Willows, blow-down, boulders, steep. OR crocodiles worked fine. Bomb proof fwiw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk