What would you do??? Outfitted hunt

Want to run a scenario by the forum as a hypothetical to maybe settle a disagreement between myself and a friend. Here is the scenario.

You book a hunt through an outfitter that is putting together a group of hunters to hunt out of state. The outfitter will be hunting as well. Upon booking you are told that order of deposits will determine who gets to hunt what farm based off trail cam pics. You are the first deposit and your friend is second. Per pictures on cam there are multiple deer 150+ with a couple 170+. You are adamant about not shooting deer or hunting 140” deer. And the reason for putting down the deposit was solely Bc you were told you would have first pic of spots you want to hunt based off what deer have been actively in that area.

You ask the land owner and guy in charge of the farms of you could hunt the afternoon prior to the start date if you get there early and you are denied Bc that wouldn’t be fair to those that can’t get there early. No big deal.

You then find out that the outfitter will be there 3 days early and will begin hunting one of the biggest target deer prior to everyone else’s arrival. Furthermore, you are told that you and your hunting partner may be on the same farm with one trophy deer 150-160 and a couple shooters being 140”.

So, what would you do if you showed up to hunt and this was the case? Just curious. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't hunt with outfitters that hunt during or before paying clients do.

2’d. Unless it was some sweet deal depredation/management hunt etc... then maybe. Even then I would expect the outfitter to harvest last not first. Now if he was showing up three days earlier to
Scout and not hunt. Certainly would respect that. Sorry you had to deal with that.

Already talked to main outfitter about refund. No refunds. Although I didn’t tell him why I was asking even though he asked if there was a problem. I didn’t really reply to that one... I did get a message shortly there after from the guy/outfitter I booked with if everything was ok. So I’m guessing the main guy informed the second guy that one of his booked clients was asking about a refund.

I honestly don’t want to rock the boat. Nothing I can really do at this point I don’t guess. sure don’t wanna piss off the wrong guy and end up hunting a spot with zero deer activity. Just not sure how to go about it. I asked the main outfitter about this second outfitter coming up early and he said yes he is. But said he is coming to guide. Not what I was told but is what it is at this point.

Worst part is this was a hunt I booked to take my wife on. I specifically booked Bc I was told that her and I would get to pic where we wanted to hunt Bc we booked first. However, anytime I talk to the guy I booked with in regards to deer and deer cam pics, he mentions that “you’ll have a great spot to hunt a stud and I’m sure we can find a spot for your wife to see some deer and have a chance at a shooter” (140).

Am I crazy to think that we should both have a chance at a “stud”?

Lastly, wife and I have decided that we are going to find somewhere to lease land moving forward. We both hate dealing with this kind of stuff and I suppose when you have an entire place to yourself, you don’t have these kinds of issues...

You already know the answer. Unless its a super cheap hunt I would be demanding money back assuming you have everything you said in writing. If there is drama before you even show up there in bound to be more when you get there. If you do beat the drum you should plan on writing the hunt off. If you don't they are likely to put you where no deer are and treat you pretty crappy. Guides and outfitters harvesting when or after you hunt is almost guaranteed that they are going to save the big one for themselves. There are some exceptions but they are few and far between.

Last edited:
You already know the answer. Unless its a super cheap hunt I would be demanding money back assuming you have everything you said in writing. If there is drama before you even show up there in bound to be more when you get there. If you do beat the drum you should plan on writing the hunt off. If you don't they are likely to put you where no deer are and treat you pretty crappy. Guides and outfitters harvesting when or after you hunt is almost guaranteed that they are going to save the big one fore themselves. There are some exceptions but they are few and far between.

I’m afraid you are right....

That doesn't sound like an outfitter. Sounds like a hunting host getting a free hunt for dragging y'all around to shoot culls. I'm a big proponent of always being up front about what I expect for my money. I say tell the main guy your concerns and your backup plan is name and shame. If you're already dissatisfied and you haven't even left the house yet, how much worse is this goat-rope going to get?

The whole idea that the order you booked would warrant preferred treatment is ridiculous.

This. I don't understand that and see it as a red flag. Does first person pay more and you pay less depending on where your number is?

I would look into leasing if you intend to keep whitetail hunting. It's no guarantee by any means but I like knowing what is going on. I'd rather have 100 acres and know how it's handled than to be part of 1000.

This. I don't understand that and see it as a red flag. Does first person pay more and you pay less depending on where your number is?

I would look into leasing if you intend to keep whitetail hunting. It's no guarantee by any means but I like knowing what is going on. I'd rather have 100 acres and know how it's handled than to be part of 1000.

Yup.

Totally agree, that sounds like a bad situation for sure. I've done several Outfitter Whitetail hunts over the past several years in different states and only one outfitter did the guides hunt while the customers hunted but that was never told to us prior. But if you are hunting anytime close or during the "RUT" anything goes....that 170" Buck could be on a hot Doe and never be seen on that farm for several Days. Last year I took a 162" Buck on a farm that has been leased for 8 years and the buck I shot was never ever seen on Trail Cams ever, he was with a Hot Doe.....When the Rut is on...Bucks Move around. Just be in your stand all day every day. You'll get one.

Totally agree, that sounds like a bad situation for sure. I've done several Outfitter Whitetail hunts over the past several years in different states and only one outfitter did the guides hunt while the customers hunted but that was never told to us prior. But if you are hunting anytime close or during the "RUT" anything goes....that 170" Buck could be on a hot Doe and never be seen on that farm for several Days. Last year I took a 162" Buck on a farm that has been leased for 8 years and the buck I shot was never ever seen on Trail Cams ever, he was with a Hot Doe.....When the Rut is on...Bucks Move around. Just be in your stand all day every day. You'll get one.

We will be in south east Ohio October 17-21. I guess it’s the principal that doesn’t set well with me. I’m I can assure you that the other people booked to hunt don’t know. This isn’t a guide. He sold hunts for an outfitter at an up charge but is hunting as well. Him hunting prior to everyone else was never mentioned until he called and said that since he added two more hunters making it a 10 person group, he was told he come come early and hunt. When I asked the main outfitter today, I was told he was coming early Bc a guide broke his foot and wouldn’t be able to help so he’s coming early to guide. Not sure why he would need three days to guide... I honestly wish I wouldn’t have booked the hunt even though he has several really nice deer on the farms we have access to. Just one of those things that makes you start questioning and doesn’t bode well for the confidence...

Crappy deal if it is a full priced type of hunt and not some deal. Why don’t you just tell the main guy you aren’t cool with paying for a hunt where the “guide” comes in 3 days early to hunt? Is it the fear that you’ll get dropped in a shitty spot. If that’s the case just light them up full on with the internet and social media to show them for what they are. Total BS, and also those are some crazy bad dates IMO to be hunting white tails in the Midwest.

We will be in south east Ohio October 17-21. I guess it’s the principal that doesn’t set well with me. I’m I can assure you that the other people booked to hunt don’t know. This isn’t a guide. He sold hunts for an outfitter at an up charge but is hunting as well. Him hunting prior to everyone else was never mentioned until he called and said that since he added two more hunters making it a 10 person group, he was told he come come early and hunt. When I asked the main outfitter today, I was told he was coming early Bc a guide broke his foot and wouldn’t be able to help so he’s coming early to guide. Not sure why he would need three days to guide... I honestly wish I wouldn’t have booked the hunt even though he has several really nice deer on the farms we have access to. Just one of those things that makes you start questioning and doesn’t bode well for the confidence...

I don't like to be the guy to poo poo on someones parade. But you will be hunting pre-rut with the full moon on oct 13 and third quarter on oct 21st. Between the fact that the mature old bucks will have the possibility of being nocturnal during that time and not chasing does and the outfitter woes. I would beat that drum honestly. There is a good chance you will still see a decent deer but those 5-7 year old studs are likely to be asleep.

Back