Winter bike training started

Floorguy

WKR
So in the winter I bike ride for some reason more than in the summer months. Just signed up for the 50k in February and have another 2 other races I am thinking about doing. Here are some pics from today. Not a long ride but it made up for it with the hills. For the local guys we started at mud lake on Maud Rd and went to the end of rippy trail.

e56d87da673ede7768473efb1d72aa1d.jpg
8162d0a00416c589715cb44eeac5785c.jpg

Vandal 44

WKR
I just picked up my Trek Fat Bike yesterday so I can ride in the snow. I am getting excited for the snow to start flying. I am going to pick up a bag like you have, What brand is that?

OP
Floorguy

Floorguy

WKR
The triangle bag is made by Revelate Designs, I plan on getting a different one though made by Becker Sewing and Design. The top tube "gas tank bag" is made by Blackburn I am ditching that in favor of the Becker Dio that's almost half the price a better design and made here. All I need now is a seat bag and I will have no reason to wear a backpack when riding in the winter it will be a Revelate bag.

I really like the new Treks, if they had used the specs they switched to this year, last year I would most likely have one of them instead of the 9zero7.

OP
Floorguy

Floorguy

WKR
Snow around here has disappeared so I have been hitting the road bike. Drove to find winter again. Same spot as before. Cool pic my buddy snapped on the fly.

8dacd83a8801e8c64392e1f5491c26bb.jpg

It was around 20° for clothing I was wearing paradox baselayer bottom and kuhl renegades. The kuhl renegades are probably my favorite pant pant right now their breathability is perfect for this application. For tops I had an ibex woolies zip tee longsleeve and a plain cotton teeshirt. Plain Mechanix gloves and cheap pogies rounded out my arms. Cheap SW Killik beanie and a regular buff for my head and neck. For my feet I had costco wool socks and bogs don't really like the bogs but they stick to the pedals good and the pants can tuck. On the way back the going was slower and the wind had picked up I added the Revelate Designs PowerLine hoodie, this is by far my favorite cool weather top. Its a half zip polartec windpro fleece with a hood, it's fantastic it's the only piece of clothing that wasn't wool that i have felt instant warmth with.

elkguide

WKR
SWEET. I've never gotten into riding outdoors in the winter. I spend the winter months inside on a trainer but as soon as the snow is gone and we get a good rain to wash the debris off the roads, I'm at it. Had a slow year last year and only got in 3500 miles. That darned work thing kept getting in the way!

OP
Floorguy

Floorguy

WKR
SWEET. I've never gotten into riding outdoors in the winter. I spend the winter months inside on a trainer but as soon as the snow is gone and we get a good rain to wash the debris off the roads, I'm at it. Had a slow year last year and only got in 3500 miles. That darned work thing kept getting in the way!
I don't have a trainer, I should probably look into getting one. That way I can be doing something when the wind is blowing or raining.

This is what the weather has left us with around Palmer. This picture was taken December 30th.

2281c6ee14f85a0a814b8ca4e183f9bf.jpg

Last edited: