2020-2024 Colorado Big Game Season Structure Info

lak2004

WKR
A number of things need to happen, especially in areas like SW CO where calf mortality is high, recruitment is low and overall numbers of elk are dwindling. A combination of hunting pressure, predators, season dates, OTC tags, recreation and development are taking their toll on our elk numbers in CO. I personally would give up hunting every year for a better hunt. Archery season needs less pressure, not more. Hunting elk in the rut induces stress on herds which affects the breeding cycle. We need better data to support season structures and tag allocation.

I re-read this entire thread.

I hope they figure something out. There is a lot of hatred here.

no hatred and nobody said they didn't want non-residents. Just want them capped like every other western state. How many of the non-residents whining on this thread apply in New Mexico after they royally screwed the DIY non resident applicant?

I didn't complain about New Mexico. I just would like to hunt every three years in Colorado for Elk and have a chance at a bull without 500 people cutting me off and filling the valleys with campfire smoke nightly. lol

If they made you purchase your OTC tag within 1 week of the Draw results you would see a game changing lack of participation in archery season.

They need to stop allowing Colorado to be a late-in-the-game-plan-b. That will decrease the hunting pressure and make it better hunting for everyone.

Shraggs

WKR
Hunting deer in the Midwest, when a particular area has a healthy, quality and high count herd(s) the coyote population explodes. I hunt deer in a few states and right now I’m seeing such a huge decline of deer in some areas. In those areas I am seeing almost as many coyotes on cam as deer. I have seen super packs of coyotes starting two years ago. Seen them take a deer down in the moonlight of a large field once. Erie.

We have been hunting OTC Colorado past 4 years, public and part national designation. Obviously see less elk each year. This year as a group we saw more bear and cats than elk. Completely agree predators are a significant problem. Seems Colorado May be replicating / ignoring the significance of predators like the Midwest DNRs until it’s too late and the only option left is to limit licensing in some way. It’s amazing to me that the only controllable is licensing of “big game”. Nature is nature and the predators need to be managed imho.

Another thing we noticed in our area - we saw way more bikers and hikers than bears, cats, elk, deer and hunters combined. Seems SW Colorado is a great play area summer or winter. We stopped at one of our parties daughter who lives there and they expressed sentiments that the non hunting outdoor community is effecting elk patterns too. From what I’ve seen, this is also contributing indirectly to poor calf recruitment. I mean if an elk wants be or walk thru a trail to bed, weather a hunter or biker is whiffed do you think he cares... it will alter its travel pattern and ultimately relocate to some degree with constant human pressure. I think hunters are less constant than a steady stream of loud bikes and such.

Too many hunters effecting hunting. I guess. I think my state sells near a million deer licenses every year. Those that truly hunt smartly and take pride in the sport get their animal year after year. Hunters who drink and play cards are contributing money :)... But the herd for most part reproduces, eats, sleeps and therefore travels daily to do these things.

I sure want continue hunting archery elk, love it even tho I not achieved a kill yet. I trust you local guys very much that you have a better grip on what should happen just as I know my home area pretty well. My community is not the state line I’m bonded by hunters and if there are changes in the form of limits that makes sense to improve hunting for us all I’m good.

Predators eat a lot... non hunters venturing in game areas in large numbers who may also be anti hunting could oddly be adversely affecting elk Health more than the hunter.

Observation only from a non expert.

John