186" Public Land Giant

Anyone else this year shoot their PB? I've hunted this spot of public for 6 years straight and never taken a buck there... but the deer sign and deer I've seen while scouting have kept me going back. I guess this year was my year, because on our last morning there, I had this big boy and a doe come by at 8 yards while I was sitting on a log...

I'm a huge tree stand guy, pack in pack out mobile hunting. It's a mile and half walk back to where I shot him, and that morning I got lazy and told the guys, "I'm just gonna' sit on the ground this morning and see what happens". When it broke light outside, I realized I climbed way to far down the bluff, so I made my way back up to the cliff edge where I wanted to sit and look back down. I used that as a pinch point above me knowing that the deer like to run that 3/4 mark on the ridge slope.

Seems to have panned out, scoped myself trying to film it with the Tactacam FTS Mount, which was dead anyways. I'll take the broken nose for sure though. My biggest buck to date, filmed with no Killshot.View attachment 347536View attachment 347535

The whole story -
Congrats on a deer of a lifetime

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, every day I keep hearing things form local guys that new about that deer and were hunting it. In a way I almost feel a tad guilty, but at the same time I busted my butt the past 6 years learning that spot, finally caught a break.
Don't feel guilty at all. It's public land. Add to that, it's probably one of the most popular/heavily hunted pieces of public in the state...so nobody else should expect that they would actually be the one to get the deer. You've done them a favor by posting it online so they at least know what happened to it. It amazes me that deer can get that old in that particular spot, but it seems that a giant comes out of there fairly regularly.

naternate

FNG
Shot my PB on public this year as well. Takes a lot of work depending on the area. Same as you…..years of scouting and figuring things out. Michigan public land

5200afe1aae393ecbf638db04c464fb2.jpg

ca496ce8b9ab779992b825f0ec42c561.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
gabedenzine
Don't feel guilty at all. It's public land. Add to that, it's probably one of the most popular/heavily hunted pieces of public in the state...so nobody else should expect that they would actually be the one to get the deer. You've done them a favor by posting it online so they at least know what happened to it. It amazes me that deer can get that old in that particular spot, but it seems that a giant comes out of there fairly regularly.
I've always known the genetics there were good, and the limestone soil helps them with natural minerals as well. The hunter density there is over 15 hunters per square mile, that spot probably had 20 trucks in the parking lot as well. It seems they don't move very far from bedding if at all during the day after the first shotgun shell cracks on opening day. Get up in the bedroom and you may find a good one laying there.

Shot my PB on public this year as well. Takes a lot of work depending on the area. Same as you…..years of scouting and figuring things out. Michigan public land

Love all the mass congratulations

congrats! Too bad you don’t get mass measurements on the points! That thing holds its weight all the way to the tips.
That public land deer definitely should be celebrated.

tb27688

FNG
Anyone else this year shoot their PB? I've hunted this spot of public for 6 years straight and never taken a buck there... but the deer sign and deer I've seen while scouting have kept me going back. I guess this year was my year, because on our last morning there, I had this big boy and a doe come by at 8 yards while I was sitting on a log...

I'm a huge tree stand guy, pack in pack out mobile hunting. It's a mile and half walk back to where I shot him, and that morning I got lazy and told the guys, "I'm just gonna' sit on the ground this morning and see what happens". When it broke light outside, I realized I climbed way to far down the bluff, so I made my way back up to the cliff edge where I wanted to sit and look back down. I used that as a pinch point above me knowing that the deer like to run that 3/4 mark on the ridge slope.

Seems to have panned out, scoped myself trying to film it with the Tactacam FTS Mount, which was dead anyways. I'll take the broken nose for sure though. My biggest buck to date, filmed with no Killshot.View attachment 347536View attachment 347535

The whole story -
Definitely a buck of a lifetime

I was also fortunate to arrow my biggest to date. It was another public land pursuit. Now we all just have to patiently wait another 8 months to do it again, and I’m already going crazy :)

Attachments

• E0A82421-90E2-41BB-81F8-CB2EDD67AC5A.jpeg
    E0A82421-90E2-41BB-81F8-CB2EDD67AC5A.jpeg
    707.3 KB · Views: 30