1st tag: MT General Elk - Solo too risky?

OP
I
I'd take a non-hunter friend, and pay his way. He'd be a look-out, and pack-out. I know guys pack out Elk solo, but that is a monumental task.
Thanks for the idea, but the trip's expensive enough as is. That would be out my price range.

OP
I
To me you just need to keep eyes out. Bears, Wolf, Cats and people. As long as you are aware don't let it scare you. If you haven't had any experience out here before id say split up some time in a non grizz area and then try a couple days in one. It's a chance you take out in some of these areas that's for sure. I hunt solo 99% of the time and hunt in lots of grizz areas down in Big Sky and around Hebgen. I see them a lot...not gonna lie. But i see the rest of the list I wrote you as well. If it's something that is making you question your hunt change areas. If you think you can hang in......there's tons of places to go without them. PM me if you want to if you are heading over this way. I can help you with some grizz free areas if need be. But honestly, just do what's comfortable for you and just enjoy being out here.
Thanks! I will send you a PM when the Rokslide gods will allow it...

I was in your situation recently. I started elk hunting two years ago and both years were a Montana general tag In grizzly country. I had a different partner for each trip because I had the same concerns. Both trips combined were about 15 days sleeping in grizzly country. We never saw a bear of any kind. In the future I will go back solo if I can’t find a good partner because I can tell you this for a fact, having someone with you that doesn’t want to be there will ruin your hunt you’ve been so excited about for so long.
Talk to all these guys that know the area and are willing to talk to you in private. Do not take someone that you’re not 100% confident in. That’s a terrible time and place to find out your partner isn’t on the same page. Both my partners got real lazy real quick on keeping a clean camp. I learned the hard way, and it sucks.

OP
I
I was in your situation recently. I started elk hunting two years ago and both years were a Montana general tag In grizzly country. I had a different partner for each trip because I had the same concerns. Both trips combined were about 15 days sleeping in grizzly country. We never saw a bear of any kind. In the future I will go back solo if I can’t find a good partner because I can tell you this for a fact, having someone with you that doesn’t want to be there will ruin your hunt you’ve been so excited about for so long.
Talk to all these guys that know the area and are willing to talk to you in private. Do not take someone that you’re not 100% confident in. That’s a terrible time and place to find out your partner isn’t on the same page. Both my partners got real lazy real quick on keeping a clean camp. I learned the hard way, and it sucks.
Collinsville! I'm in Tulsa. Small world. That is great advice, and it's something I am also concerned about. I prefer to hunt alone, but now that I have kids, my wife doesn't approve of me solo hunting in grizzly country (they do freak me out a bit, but I realize that being safe and smart can go a long way. Guess it's just a "what if" kind of thing.) Did you drive to MT or fly? Would love to hear more about how your trips went!

I just found out I drew my 1st ever elk tag: Big Game Combo in MT. Now that I have my first tag I figure I can officially join the discussion. I'm gonna do a DIY hunt, was thinking solo, but making my 1st ever Western hunt a solo hunt in potential grizzly country with 2 young kids has me thinking twice.

I'm curious what people think: If you were in my position, would you just try to find a unit where there are no grizzlies? Or try to find/partner up with someone else looking to do their 1st DIY elk hunt in MT this year? Nobody I know personally has a tag, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Regarding potentially partnering up, this would just be a safety thing. Wouldn't have to shadow one another around, but maybe if someone is gonna be in the same general area/unit we could share information/resources and up our odds while also watching each others' backs?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Not every part of MT has grizzlies. Figure out what you can deal with and go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
First time for me hunting Montana general elk combo tag archery in early September, but my two son's will be with me. I've hunted grizzly area before years ago in Wyoming. I don't worry about attacks from critters when hunting, you have a much greater chance of hurting yourself in some other way. We will take precautions and carry a sidearm in the holster in our packs for easy access if needed. I'm still on the fence about carrying bear spray and a pistol, but I'm sure one of will carry some spray.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
If you do solo, buy a Garmin Inreach Explorer or Mini.

My first two elk hunts were solo (as will this year's) in N. AZ so no grizzlys just cougars, black bears or a squadron of javelinas. IMO, a solo hunter's first concern should be how to handle a serious injury or medical problem and the above will help with that.

Good luck,

Eddie

Last edited:

WPFY543

FNG
Hunted solo the last couple years in MT. If you are thinking about bears now, you will be thinking about bears often while you are out there. It took some getting use to, but it was a good mental exercise for me. Be smart picking your unit and have your protection and inreach easily accessible. Shortly after I got home I realized that the unit I was in had a really high concentration of mountain lions so I was probably looking out for the wrong critter to begin with.

Takeaway for me was that hunting solo requires diligence and that a fall or injury were risks that should be taken as seriously as any predator.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Grow a sack and go hunt! Seriously, if you're going to take someone's tag then don't think about being a wussy(part women part pussy). Get out in the mountains and learn. There are no real secrets to being comfortable in the elk mountains. You got it or you don't, you do it or you don't. If you're going to take the tag then make the best of it and man up.

OP
I
Grow a sack and go hunt! Seriously, if you're going to take someone's tag then don't think about being a wussy(part women part pussy). Get out in the mountains and learn. There are no real secrets to being comfortable in the elk mountains. You got it or you don't, you do it or you don't. If you're going to take the tag then make the best of it and man up.
Think you missed the point there bub. But something tells me this isn't the first time that's happened to you. Literally every sentence in that ridiculous post was dumber than the last, but I will say for the benefit of the community at large that I'm not taking anyone's tag. It's my tag. I paid for and drew it. If I wanted to burn it in front of your face, I could do that. I won't do that, obviously, but the point being that you're not the keeper of my tag, nor are you the gatekeeper of Western hunting (thank god for that!). You'll grow up at some point--at least we hope... In the meantime, try to keep your virtual mouth shut, cause you're not helping and are only embarrassing yourself.

There are places I probably wouldn't hunt solo. One trip we saw 8 grizzly bears in 4 days and had a 9th we never saw waiting on us to leave the carcass (other hunters saw it and warned us). Probably same bear got a bag of meat we hung over night a half mile down the trail. On that trip the quality of my sleep was directly proportional to how secure I felt in the camp location. The one night we slept pretty exposed I slept about zero.

I'd take a non-hunter friend, and pay his way. He'd be a look-out, and pack-out. I know guys pack out Elk solo, but that is a monumental task.

Thanks for the idea, but the trip's expensive enough as is. That would be out my price range.

Or take the wife. Just be careful if she starts rubbing honey on your feet in the middle of the night. Extra pair of eyes to keep lookout while you're hauling piles and piles of meat are a pretty valuable asset to have.

Biggest mistake you could make is turn in your tag. There is nothing like real life experience hunting as well as being in bear country. Its an awesome adventure and while there is obviously risk, there is risk in cutting up an animal when you are overtired. I would imagine the amount of injuries from people being reckless with a knife each year far outpaces bear related injuries/deaths.

I hunt grizzly country more often then not and to be honest, most years I dont even see a bear. It requires extra attention but honestly, I feel like that attention to detail, be it clean camp or just moving through the wood slower, makes you a better hunter anyways. If it were me, I would go solo. You wont regret it. Just be in the right headspace going in and you will be fine. Nothing like a great adventure.

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
I just found out I drew my 1st ever elk tag: Big Game Combo in MT. Now that I have my first tag I figure I can officially join the discussion. I'm gonna do a DIY hunt, was thinking solo, but making my 1st ever Western hunt a solo hunt in potential grizzly country with 2 young kids has me thinking twice.

I'm curious what people think: If you were in my position, would you just try to find a unit where there are no grizzlies? Or try to find/partner up with someone else looking to do their 1st DIY elk hunt in MT this year? Nobody I know personally has a tag, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Regarding potentially partnering up, this would just be a safety thing. Wouldn't have to shadow one another around, but maybe if someone is gonna be in the same general area/unit we could share information/resources and up our odds while also watching each others' backs?

Thanks for any thoughts.
I have more experience than most in grizzly country, even have a grizzly rug from an Alaska hunt. For safety and comforts sake I would not hunt heavily infested grizzly country solo. I hunted SW MT for 6 years straight with two week hunts for about 12 weeks total in the backcountry. Someone in our party saw grizzlies every year except one. Some years multiple sighting and close encounters. Had a few grizz closer than desired but no maulings and one 'mock' charge. One night a grizzly had to be scared away from the tent. In my experience, grizzlies are not scared of pretty much anything, are big, bold and toothy.

Elk hunting was good. At least partially because two legged predators are scared of grizzlies..lol. I would certainly go back with a buddy. Even though a buddy doesn't guarantee safety, it helps for the same reason elk travel in herds, more eyes and ears.

There are plenty of good areas in MT with few if any grizz. I would concentrate on those if solo. I don't award 'man points' to folks that brag they are not cautious of grizzlies bears, they are just stupid, ignorant or both. On the other hand I don't necessarily think it is a foolhardy suicide mission to hunt grizzly country solo, its just not for me. One of the things to think about is how effective are you going to be hunting in Grizz country? Are you going to be super cautious, never hike at night and leave and get to prime hunting areas well within daylight and approach from the open? If you do all the above your odds of being successful will plummet, you would be better off hunting a non-grizz area and actually utilize prime time to hunt elk.

OP
I
I have more experience than most in grizzly country, even have a grizzly rug from an Alaska hunt. For safety and comforts sake I would not hunt heavily infested grizzly country solo. I hunted SW MT for 6 years straight with two week hunts for about 12 weeks total in the backcountry. Someone in our party saw grizzlies every year except one. Some years multiple sighting and close encounters. Had a few grizz closer than desired but no maulings and one 'mock' charge. One night a grizzly had to be scared away from the tent. In my experience, grizzlies are not scared of pretty much anything, are big, bold and toothy.

Elk hunting was good. At least partially because two legged predators are scared of grizzlies..lol. I would certainly go back with a buddy. Even though a buddy doesn't guarantee safety, it helps for the same reason elk travel in herds, more eyes and ears.

There are plenty of good areas in MT with few if any grizz. I would concentrate on those if solo. I don't award 'man points' to folks that brag they are not cautious of grizzlies bears, they are just stupid, ignorant or both. On the other hand I don't necessarily think it is a foolhardy suicide mission to hunt grizzly country solo, its just not for me. One of the things to think about is how effective are you going to be hunting in Grizz country? Are you going to be super cautious, never hike at night and leave and get to prime hunting areas well within daylight and approach from the open? If you do all the above your odds of being successful will plummet, you would be better off hunting a non-grizz area and actually utilize prime time to hunt elk.

Wait...so I'm not supposed to just plunge headlong into solo hunting grizzly country with nothing but my manliness to protect me? :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the sage advice!! Much appreciated.

G8ters

Lil-Rokslider
I will be doing my first DIY in Montana with a general combo tag but won’t be solo with my brother in law. We won’t be together most of the time depending on the conditions. Each of us will be carrying a sidearm and bear spray. I’m trusting my Glock 29 with Buffalo bore and he’ll be trusting his raging bull.

Just FYI most of Montana West of Lewistown has griz. So that rules out most of the otc areas. Some areas have fewer than others. Colorado is pretty nice though as far as no griz.

We were finding griz tracks last year in the snow where there hasn't historically been griz. But FWP now has warning signs for griz at the trailheads in a lot of these areas. They're not kidding. Also found griz poo as well.
And no I'm not telling you where we were hunting. Just that yes I can tell the difference between a dinner plate sized griz track and a human hand sized black bear track.

I'd definitely wouldn't backpack hunt for your first time. Especially if you've never done much backpacking. It's really a pain.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk