2019 Wyoming Elk Hunt

Hey all.

A buddy and I plan on drawing wyoming general tags this season. We will be hunting the last week in September. This will be a DIY on public land and plan on backbacking and camping while putting on the miles to find the elk.

I've never been out there but am eyeing a few general areas and I am looking for some advice on which areas to scout this summer.

Any one know of Elk populations in the Medicine Bow NF area, more specifically, elk units 21, 13 and 15

Also looking at similar area and zones 12, 110 and 9.

We are also considering zones 37, and 36 in the Bighorns.

Anybody have any good information about these units I'd love to have a conversation with you. Really like to narrow down 1 area to scout this summer and hunt this fall!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
Novemberfest
Alright. How many points do I need to have more than a laughable chance and to get some feedback on here?

WyoElk

WKR
I think what’s being said is that with point creep it’s unlikely to draw general tags with 2.5 points this year. It could happen but it’s looking more like 3+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Alright. How many points do I need to have more than a laughable chance and to get some feedback on here?

For some strange reason, most guys aren't willing to give up hunting spots/info to someone on an internet forum, especially when it's your first post.

The areas that you have pointed out, all have their plusses and minuses. Quite different in terrain and cover. Definitely putting boots on the ground will be your best bet but you can do lots of "ground work" by looking at google earth and other internet sites. Wyoming Game & Fish can be quite helpful if you call and talk with them. Unfortunately, with point creep, 2.5 points will probably not get you a tag. Possibly a better chance in Montana. Idaho is first come, first serve. Colorado has some OTC areas too. New Mexico has quite a few landowner tags that you can purchase from landowners but you would be talking quite a bit more money.

Good luck.

I thought it took just over 1.5 points last year. I am surprised that people are saying 2.5 wont be enough. I have 4 points and have also thought about those units but I dont have any insight on them.
I have read every thread on multiple sites and I know people wont talk about specific units or areas as they dont want too many people reading good reports and having to compete with a ton of extra people.
You will have to research the Wyomng G&F website to determine what you think are good units. I am also just not sure if these are the right call but I know it will be a beautiful area and a fun vacation even if we dont get into elk.
Have fun and good luck.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought it took just over 1.5 points last year. I am surprised that people are saying 2.5 wont be enough. I have 4 points and have also thought about those units but I dont have any insight on them.
I have read every thread on multiple sites and I know people wont talk about specific units or areas as they dont want too many people reading good reports and having to compete with a ton of extra people.
You will have to research the Wyomng G&F website to determine what you think are good units. I am also just not sure if these are the right call but I know it will be a beautiful area and a fun vacation even if we dont get into elk.
Have fun and good luck.
56% with 2 points for a general tag last year
The other 44% now have 3 points and will drive point creep up

bdan68

WKR
2.5 points looks like a sure thing in the special draw. In 2018 97% of applicants drew with only 1 point, in the special draw. So if you really want to hunt this year, it will be an additional $576 to be sure you will draw. Or take your chances in the regular draw and possibly not be able to hunt until next year.

robloft

FNG
I haven’t kept up with what points you’d need to draw in Wyoming but rockslide is not the best place to ask about info on units. Check out on your own adventures and make several posts on there and some guys may chime in. They’re a lot more likely to help out a new hunter there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
I just cant believe these questions still come up. Even after post after post after post after post over all these years. Good luck on getting that free ,no research information. By the way, can you tell me your best public land whitetail spot that you ever hunted? Just post me a Google Earth link so i can run by and check it out this season. I wont tell anyone.

wapitibob

WKR
21 and 13 have gotten a ton of internet press the last few years from the gen guys, like 16 and 22 antelope. Scared of bears and have a few points, area 11 type 9 is now taking the bullet. Those odds will soon hit the crapper just like 38.

Google and you'll have lots of info.

MOHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I get wanting to make it clear that some homework has to be done, but being a jerk isn’t necessary. The guy asked to have a conversation, which I assume means in private. He said he intends to scout this summer. Seems pretty general to me. Certainly not asking for GPS coordinates. Just my 2 cents

OP
Novemberfest
Thanks for the help. I found the hunt planner on WY website and see all that data on there. It looks like I can get the confirmation there with some work. I’m not trying to cut corners and I’m not looking for personal sweet spots but I’m guessing there are a few guys on this forum that have hunted in WY the last couple years and won’t be back for the next few due to the draw odds. I’d love to have a private conversation with them.