2019 Wyoming Elk Hunt

sneaky

"DADDY"
Alright. How many points do I need to have more than a laughable chance and to get some feedback on here?
No one is going to give unit numbers on here, and it's bad form to even mention unit numbers in anything other than PMs. Anyone who does a search for those unit numbers on google will pull up this thread now.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I haven’t kept up with what points you’d need to draw in Wyoming but rockslide is not the best place to ask about info on units. Check out on your own adventures and make several posts on there and some guys may chime in. They’re a lot more likely to help out a new hunter there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not really. They'll tell you the same thing. No one is going to mention unit numbers on an open forum, and it's idiotic to ask, especially with a first post. Join the forum, contribute, give and take, then ask. We get FLOODED with threads like this every year. The tools are there already to answer his questions, he just wants someone else to do the work for him. No one gave us anything, why should we give our hard earned info out for free?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I can't see how 2.5 won't be enough points to draw. There are roughly 1700 general tags for NR top point holders, 46% of 2 pointers didn't draw last year, or about 600. So they will have 3 points. Doesn't that leave a whole lot of tags for 2.5 point holders? Unless a bunch of 3 point holders apply that didn't last year.
What am I missing?
People with more than 3 points who are tired of chasing units they'll never draw, and people who have only been buying points and never applying. It'll take 3+ to draw this year, unless you pay that ridiculous special draw price.

robloft

FNG
No one is going to give unit numbers on here, and it's bad form to even mention unit numbers in anything other than PMs. Anyone who does a search for those unit numbers on google will pull up this thread now.

From my experience people are more polite on on your own adventures. People start bashing on rockslide pretty quick. The guys over at on your own adventures won’t just come right out and give the info he is looking for but they will guide him a little more than people here will. At least that has been my experience.

sneaky

"DADDY"
From my experience people are more polite on on your own adventures. People start bashing on rockslide pretty quick. The guys over at on your own adventures won’t just come right out and give the info he is looking for but they will guide him a little more than people here will. At least that has been my experience.

There's the difference. I don't use them anymore because of a couple of elitists over there on hunt talk. There's some good folks over there, and a few I would love to throat punch.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

Rokslide was the most genuine forum out there for the longest time (still is top tier). To many new people abused the privilege. Now we wait to see if your going to join in the conversation and be part of the community or just try and pump everyone for information and leave till next season.
A few tips---start BEFORE application season. Do some research see if your question has been answered back thousand times already. Do some research so you can ask intelligent questions. Do some research so you can understand when someone answers your question. Finally stick around do a trip review post a few pictures everyone loves pictures. Remember how it feels and don't forget help the next guy out.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
Novemberfest
I came to the forum to learn. I’m new to the sport of elk hunting and don’t have a clue what I’m doing. I didn’t even know how to research. I have no gear, Ive never camped and the only time I have seen an elk is in downtown Estes Park. I have nothing to offer anyone here (at this point). The only thing I have is a tag, motivation and thousands of questions.
By October this year I will be done with my first elk hunt. I will have spent thousands of dollars on new gear and tags. I will know if my research methods worked or didn’t work. I will know if I made the right gear purchases. I might even be able to offer some advice and contribute to the forum in an acceptable way. But it’s not October yet...
So, I’m 2 months into this and I understand that I need to meticulously word my questions as to not annoy anyone. I will utilize the forum search engine to try and find the answer before asking it again and most importantly I will absolutely appreciate those who genuinely answer my questions and contribute to ailing my ignorance and increasing the chance that I have a successful and memorable experience as I jump into the sport that you all know and love.

Good day.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You beat the hardest part and drew a tag congratulations! It gets easier planning and people get friendlier after application season. Plenty of time to be ready

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
If you spend thousands on new gear for your 1st Elk hunt I hope someone slaps you upside the head.

"I’m new to the sport of elk hunting and don’t have a clue what I’m doing. I didn’t even know how to research. I have no gear, Ive never camped and the only time I have seen an elk is in downtown Estes Park. "

We were all first timers once. Most of us living out west tagged along and learned that way. Being new and not having a mentor along, you don't know, what you don't know. In my opinion, the last thing you should do for a first hunt is try the BRO Backpack hike n hunt. You have a wyoming Gen tag and probably can't go 2 miles in any direction without hitting a road. There will be lots of people, who you won't be getting away from in 21, and it's not going to be like a Primos elk video.
I would tent camp from the truck so you're mobile.
I would tent camp from the truck so when you discover all the things you forgot to pack, it won't be quite that big of a deal to head to town and get them.
I would venture out for an over nighter when you find a spot with Elk, so you can test your gear and your resolve before jumping in the deep end.
Once you have the hunt in the rear view mirror, you can assess what worked and what didn't for YOUR style of hunting. Then look at upgrading/buying the appropriate items. Most of us hunted from cheap tents that dripped condensation, slept in 10# sleeping bags, and wore blue jeans and a plaid shirt. Maybe upgraded to army surplus camo. I'd work on the hunting, the gear and backpacking, all that will come naturally with time.

Last edited:

JWP58

WKR
So 660 for a tag, 50 bucks for a marmot precip rain jacket, and 200 for a used pack (or less depending).

I would venture to guess most didn't start with gucci gear. Experience is what you need to invest in. That means time. Enjoy the process, and expect to fail.

OP
Novemberfest
If you spend thousands on new gear for your 1st Elk hunt I hope someone slaps you upside the head.
So 660 for a tag, 50 bucks for a marmot precip rain jacket, and 200 for a used pack (or less depending).

I would venture to guess most didn't start with gucci gear. Experience is what you need to invest in. That means time. Enjoy the process, and expect to fail.

"I’m new to the sport of elk hunting and don’t have a clue what I’m doing. I didn’t even know how to research. I have no gear, Ive never camped and the only time I have seen an elk is in downtown Estes Park. "

We were all first timers once. Most of us living out west tagged along and learned that way. Being new and not having a mentor along, you don't know, what you don't know. In my opinion, the last thing you should do for a first hunt is try the BRO Backpack hike n hunt. You have a wyoming Gen tag and probably can't go 2 miles in any direction without hitting a road. There will be lots of people, who you won't be getting away from in 21, and it's not going to be like a Primos elk video.
I would tent camp from the truck so you're mobile.
I would tent camp from the truck so when you discover all the things you forgot to pack, it won't be quite that big of a deal to head to town and get them.
I would venture out for an over nighter when you find a spot with Elk, so you can test your gear and your resolve before jumping in the deep end.
Once you have the hunt in the rear view mirror, you can assess what worked and what didn't for YOUR style of hunting. Then look at upgrading/buying the appropriate items. Most of us hunted from cheap tents that dripped condensation, slept in 10# sleeping bags, and wore blue jeans and a plaid shirt. Maybe upgraded to army surplus camo. I'd work on the hunting, the gear and backpacking, all that will come naturally with time.
I like your thought on truck camping, being mobile and and checking out new spots on a daily basis. I also like your quote “ you don’t know what you don’t know”. Exactly what I’m learning here at Rokslide and other forums. There is certainly a learning curve and I know it would be much harder to do this research without community forums like this one. Thank you for all the help.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah some of you guys need to dial it down a notch on the snarky responses. I understand there is a lot of threads like these being posted right now... and some of you are a little tired of them. But that doesn’t mean you need to leave a comment like some have. A major point of Rokslide is to make folks feel comfortable asking questions without getting waylaid on like some other forums. If you have something to contribute, then contribute some knowledge.. probably via PM. If your comment is to only make the OP feel stupid for posting, then don’t post and move on.

Don’t be a dick.

NovFest,

Friend and I also drew gen tag and have no experience in Wyoming having only rifle hunted in SD and Montana. We are looking at some areas in southern and western units and plan to truck camp/hunt and possible overnight pack-in if called for. Find ourselves in new territory and will learn more thru mistakes but that is part of the learning curve. I will get out to Wy couple times to "scout" and get at least a look at what we are up against. If anything develops maybe we can talk later in the summer. We will hunt few days at opener and plan to return around sept 20 for 9 days. Rifle in October. Just looking for experience. Hopefully have something we can share with you later. Good luck.

JWP58

WKR
If I came across as a dick, that wasn't my intention. My main point was to invest your money/time towards actually scouting and hunting (gas ain't cheap and time away from work isn't always easy to come by). Gear is awesome, but dont stress over it.

Also even if you dont bow hunt, try to tag along with someone who does. You'll likely learn a bunch (about elk and gear).

If you have questions about Wyoming, feel free to pm me.

njdoxie

WKR
Most of us hunted from cheap tents that dripped condensation, slept in 10# sleeping bags, and wore blue jeans and a plaid shirt. Maybe upgraded to army surplus camo. I'd work on the hunting, the gear and backpacking, all that will come naturally with time.
How true, I had zero “brand name” gear, but was fortunate to have veteran hunters along to show me the ropes, that was priceless.

My advice is to get in the best shape you can especially if you are coming from flat land. I try to walk 5 miles a night with 30to 70 lb. The elk are there some time s it's just a matter of putting on the miles to find them. And the mountains are twice as steep and nasty as they look on Google. If you can get there a day or two early try to find the elk and be ready to ambush opening morning when the massacre starts

Elkhntr08

WKR
This will probably not be your only elk hunt. It gets in your blood. If you deer Hunt in Illinois, you can get by with the gear you have right now, maybe upgrade your boots. You don’t need a $2000 set of binos to hunt west of the Mississippi.
Get used to packing some weight and get in the best cardio shape you can, the mountains will kill a flatlander.
It’s been a 17 year journey to gather the gear I have now. Listening to the guys on places like this has helped me along the way. I believe Cnelk has a nice Eberlestock pack for sale very reasonable.
Also, I’ve met some great, very helpful guys at RMEF banquets across Illinois. You might look at attending.

cnelk

WKR
Get in the best shape you can.

Remember, when your out of breath you can stop and rest - when your legs give out, you're done.

Rawmeat

FNG
Spend less time finding a unit, and more time looking closely at one unit. You will likely question your unit choice no matter what, so just pick one.

I would desperately try to get out this summer and scout the area you wish to hunt. Not so much to find elk, but you can accomplish two things that will drastically improve your efficiency of time when you are actually hunting.

If you have never camped let alone, back packed, scouting would be a good time to test some gear and learn shelter setup, etc.

Also spend that time scouting to learn the navigation of the area. Find out which roads are driveable and learn how to get around. What roads look like in person can be very different than on a map.

I have hunted most my life, but am a relatively new, yet to be successful, elk hunter.